Moving from D610 DSLR to smaller camera

dg-1984

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a Nikon D610 full frame camera with only 1380 shutter count (so new).
18-35mm, 24-85mm, 70-300mm and 50mm,
I am thinking of selling my full setup and going smaller, so many time on holiday have left my kit to go a walk etc and miss opertunities. And carrying it with all lenses is a pain.
I don't do it for money so my kit is more than is needed.
I went from d3200, d7000, d7100 and now D610.
I have been looking at the new mirror less cameras and there are also some advanced compacts that are highly rated like the Sony rx100iv. Bright lens 24-70mm range and 1" sensor.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas what I should look at?
Also where do you think best place to sell my gear would be?
eBay has biggest audience but high fees.

Cheers.

Just seen this thread mate...

I`ve recently made the switch to a mirrorless camera with an Olympus EM10 II; personally, I think it`s brilliant !
Portable enough to carry around most of the time, yet sporting a decent view-finder, and the ability to take superb pics. Well-pleased with mine...

Reactions: dg-1984
Thanks for the reply.
I have been. Looking at the different cameras and now thinking about an advanced compact like the Sony rx100 IV or the canon g7 X ii.
Some of the mirrorless ones, once lenses are on them pose the same issues with carrying them everywhere.

I think I will get a compact and then save up for something in the future.
See what Nikon release.
100th anniversary next year.

Thanks for the reply.
I have been. Looking at the different cameras and now thinking about an advanced compact like the Sony rx100 IV or the canon g7 X ii.
Some of the mirrorless ones, once lenses are on them pose the same issues with carrying them everywhere.

I think I will get a compact and then save up for something in the future.
See what Nikon release.
100th anniversary next year.

Agreed re the lenses; yes, even the mirrorless can be somewhat cumbersome - ie: not fitting into a pocket at all - when fitted with the lens, but I think you`re going to get that with just about ANY camera with interchangeable lenses...

I`ve just been working with the kit lens on mine; 14 - 42mm (which is a rough equivalent of double that on a full frame), and I`ve found it to do the job I need perfectly, bearing in mind I`m no pro, of course, and have nothing like the experience, skill and technique of some of the posters on this forum.

As for a compact, it`s each to their own, obviously, and some really great compacts out there, but I, personally, just can`t do without my view-finder, as I just don`t like taking pics from the rear screen, preferring the camera to my eye, so to speak...

Good luck with it anyway, but before getting a compact, it`s worth nipping into your local camera store (if you haven`t already, of course), and just seeing the size of the mirrorless, with a lens attached.
When I bought mine, I narrowed it down to a choice between mine, and the Fuji XT10, but there are others out there which are even better - in line with the price, of course !

Reactions: dg-1984