1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Moving from D610 DSLR to smaller camera

dg-1984 Sep 7, 2016

1. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member Sportback Team Daytona S-line owners group Audi A3 Manual

Hi all, I currently have a Nikon D610 full frame camera with only 1380 shutter count (so new).
    18-35mm, 24-85mm, 70-300mm and 50mm,
    I am thinking of selling my full setup and going smaller, so many time on holiday have left my kit to go a walk etc and miss opertunities. And carrying it with all lenses is a pain.
    I don't do it for money so my kit is more than is needed.
    I went from d3200, d7000, d7100 and now D610.
    I have been looking at the new mirror less cameras and there are also some advanced compacts that are highly rated like the Sony rx100iv. Bright lens 24-70mm range and 1" sensor.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas what I should look at?
    Also where do you think best place to sell my gear would be?
    eBay has biggest audience but high fees.

Cheers.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. encee

encee Active Member

Just seen this thread mate...

I`ve recently made the switch to a mirrorless camera with an Olympus EM10 II; personally, I think it`s brilliant !
    Portable enough to carry around most of the time, yet sporting a decent view-finder, and the ability to take superb pics. Well-pleased with mine...

dg-1984 likes this.
  4. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member Sportback Team Daytona S-line owners group Audi A3 Manual

Thanks for the reply.
    I have been. Looking at the different cameras and now thinking about an advanced compact like the Sony rx100 IV or the canon g7 X ii.
    Some of the mirrorless ones, once lenses are on them pose the same issues with carrying them everywhere.

I think I will get a compact and then save up for something in the future.
    See what Nikon release.
    100th anniversary next year.

5. encee

encee Active Member

Agreed re the lenses; yes, even the mirrorless can be somewhat cumbersome - ie: not fitting into a pocket at all - when fitted with the lens, but I think you`re going to get that with just about ANY camera with interchangeable lenses...

I`ve just been working with the kit lens on mine; 14 - 42mm (which is a rough equivalent of double that on a full frame), and I`ve found it to do the job I need perfectly, bearing in mind I`m no pro, of course, and have nothing like the experience, skill and technique of some of the posters on this forum.

As for a compact, it`s each to their own, obviously, and some really great compacts out there, but I, personally, just can`t do without my view-finder, as I just don`t like taking pics from the rear screen, preferring the camera to my eye, so to speak...

Good luck with it anyway, but before getting a compact, it`s worth nipping into your local camera store (if you haven`t already, of course), and just seeing the size of the mirrorless, with a lens attached.
    When I bought mine, I narrowed it down to a choice between mine, and the Fuji XT10, but there are others out there which are even better - in line with the price, of course !

dg-1984 likes this.