Moving from an A4 2.0 Tdi 143bhp Multitronic to an 8V 2.0tdi 150bhp

TTLAW

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering moving from an A4 into a new A3 150bhp tdi and wondered if anyone else had done this? I find the A4 ok power wise for most of my journeys but it is a bit sluggish when trying to overtake at around 50mph. I think the Multitronic is the biggest part of the issue but was hoping someone else had done this and could let me know what the 150bhp diesel is like with S Tronic when trying to get a move on when overtaking?

Thanks

Steve

I have driven multitronic in A4 and A7 and absolutely hate it! The S Tronic is a lot better IMHO.. The S3 I drove last week went like a rocket. I did however read an article in a recent publication with a smaller engine which suggested the S tronic wasn't that good. Not sure why and I will try to look out the publication. Best thing to do is go and try one!!

If it was a smaller engine it could have been the 7-speed dry clutch version of the s-tronic rather than the better 6-speed wet clutch version fitted to the 2.0TDI. The 7-speed is often regarded as not as good as the 6-speed. Audi only fit the 6-speed to the 2.0TDI, all other models get 7-speed but it cannot handle the amount of torque from the 2.0TDI. I've had the 6-speed version on my last four A3s and it's brilliant. I would certainly not want another car without it.

I thought larger engined Audis had 7 speed Stronic . My 5's did with 3.0 V6 motors. The 7 had 8 speed Tiptronic but Audi have now reverted to 7 speed Stronic after resolving some issues.

I thought larger engined Audis had 7 speed Stronic . My 5's did with 3.0 V6 motors. The 7 had 8 speed Tiptronic but Audi have now reverted to 7 speed Stronic after resolving some issues.

The larger engined Audi's only have the Audi 7-speed s-tronic (code 0B5) if they are quattro otherwise they have multi-tronic at the moment. This is, by all accounts, going to change when the new A4 comes out when all 'auto' versions will use a new s-tronic.

All the transverse engined Audi's (A1 and A3) use the VW 7-speed DSG except the 2.0TDI-150 which, because of it's higher torque level, uses the 6-speed DSG except the 2.0TDI-184 quattro which uses the 6-speed DSG with a quattro transfer box. This has a code of 09D. The ordinary 6-speed non-quattro has a code 02E.

The Audi developed 7-speed s-tronic for the N-S engines has the 'quattro' bit built-in to the main gearbox.

I've driven the manual version of both, and there's a big difference!

The A4 2.0TDI-143 has the same 320Nm of torque as the 2.0TDI-150 but the A4 has an unladen weight of 1515kg whilst the new A3 is only 1320kg. This gives the A4 a power to weight ratio of 96 compared with the 116 for the A3 so the overtaking performance should be better. Also the s-tronic is much better for selecting the gear you want for overtaking than the multi-tronic.

power to weight uses horsepower to measure (torque isn't a power), but torque is definitely the figure to look at.

I sold my 8v 150 S-Line TDI after 12 months, and I have to say it was one of the best cars I have had in a long list of cars. Very accomplished and plenty of torque for the 50-70 overtake, nice balance of power to handling ability as well. Get one! -:)

I have the older shape A3 (2009) but I must say to answer OP the S-tronic box is awesome and I probably won't buy another manual car again if I can avoid it.

Changed jobs and instead of a 100 mile a day commute, I now work from home. Moving from the 150 to an S3 was a natural choice - more of the same A3 goodness, a bit quicker, and not to worried re MPG.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Thanks for all your replies.

Looks like a 150bhp diesel with S Tronic should do the job.

Need to arrange a test drive now.

Steve

I've just moved from the same A4 143PS multitronic to the new A3 SB with S-tronic. The S-tronic is a much much better gearbox and a lot more responsive than the multitronic. I found the multitronic a bit clumsy and unresponsive at times, especially when setting off or moving in and out of reverse etc. I noticed a big difference with the new S-tronic. Definitely a good move! :)

Glad you are enjoying S tronic . Not a bad box and much much better than variable multi tronic which I personally hate.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I personally never had much of an issue with the multitronic and found it very smooth. The big issue was having the confidence to overtake and not really knowing how long the box would take to wind up.

Steve

Thanks for the replies folks.

I personally never had much of an issue with the multitronic and found it very smooth. The big issue was having the confidence to overtake and not really knowing how long the box would take to wind up.

Steve

But that in itself sounds like a big issue with multitronic! With S-tronic you'll have the confidence.