Moving from 8L S3 to 8P S3. Advice please!

KernowS3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Newbie to the forum but not to Audi's! Looking at buying my 3rd Audi, 2nd S3, 1st 8P. I'm going to have a look at one local to me tomorrow and I wanted some advice from those with some 8P experience.

1. Roughly what's a fair price? (He wants 9750 ONO) Details below.

The car is an 08 model, completely standard, very good nick save for a small chip in the windscreen. 71K, FSH in Phantom Black with MOT til Feb 2018, no advisories on previous 2 tests. Cambelt and water pump done 10K ago, cam follower done 1K ago. He's also offering 3 months warranty.

2. Looking at getting a Remap if I buy the car. I live in Cornwall, any local members recommend anywhere around here?

3. In order to comfortably go stage 1 are there any upgrades you would recommend doing before hand? I've heard a Revo Air intake is advised?

4. Any other recommendations?

Any support and suggestions would be great! Here are some pics below!
Screenshot 20170809 231147

Depends where in Cornwall you are, I'm up near Plymouth and had RH Tuning put APR software on mine over the years and it's always been great. Would wait till they have a sale on around Christmas though as you save a considerable amount.

Don't need any modifications for stage 1 if you don't want to

APR sale on during August. I would be fitting a new set of plugs and checking the oil condition.

Reactions: KernowS3
Depends where in Cornwall you are, I'm up near Plymouth and had RH Tuning put APR software on mine over the years and it's always been great. Would wait till they have a sale on around Christmas though as you save a considerable amount.

Don't need any modifications for stage 1 if you don't want to

Hey man thanks for the reply, I live in North Cornwall not too far from the border, happy to travel for the best results/price. After doing some searching through a couple threads I see a lot people aren't recommending Revo maps on the 8P anymore, anyone able to clarify?

Hey man thanks for the reply, I live in North Cornwall not too far from the border, happy to travel for the best results/price. After doing some searching through a couple threads I see a lot people aren't recommending Revo maps on the 8P anymore, anyone able to clarify?

APR continued to develop their 8P maps with their latest release last year. I understand that this is not the case with Revo.

No need for intake on stage 1. Save your money and buy some ARBs.

£9750 is strong money, they have dropped a fair bit. Dropped you a PM.

Yeah Apr are getting better results due to updating their maps now and then where as revo haven't updated theirs for a long time.

Plus with Apr if the battery ever goes flat you don't have to fuss about with the map settings like you do with revo.

Would definitely throw a map on as soon as you get it, especially as there's a sale on. The maps are around £600 discounted to around £470 when on sale and stage upgrades are free unlike revo. All you'll pay is the labour that RH Tuning would charge.

I'd be looking for an 8P3 for that money tbh.
Not that it's not a nice car but the led drl' s, slightly more aggressive front end and stronic would be my preference

I'd be looking for an 8P3 for that money tbh.
Not that it's not a nice car but the led drl' s, slightly more aggressive front end and stronic would be my preference

I definitely prefer the look of the 8P3, the front end is jizz-worthy no doubt! The reason I'm leaning towards this 8P2 is that it's immaculate and it's 10 minutes from my front door, not to mention only 71K miles on the clock. I'm confident that I will be paying closer to 9K than 10K for this if I do but it. Just out of interest what would you say is a fair price for this one?

I definitely wouldn't pay more than 9k for it and tbh nearer 8.5k.
Unfortunately S3's do attract more than their fair share of chancers and tyre kickers, the 8P3 is also more desirable come resale too.
I traded my 59 S3 sportback stronic with Pan roof and pretty much every extra for 9.5k. The first offer was near 8k

No need for intake on stage 1. Save your money and buy some ARBs.

Speaking of ARBs, any in particular you would recommend bud? I saw these Racingline ones on eBay, dunno if they are any good tho?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170810-154731.png
    Screenshot_20170810-154731.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 139
May have to think about a new clutch too after the remap being a manual car...

Hi all, after 2 years in a S4 4.2 V8 I am looking to go back to an S3, this time an 8P. I had my 8L for 6 years and took it to 187,000 fun packed miles, the S4 is a fantastic car but I miss the practicality of a hatchback and it is a high running cost car as I expected and after 2 great trouble free years I fancy a change and the 8P S3 is top of the list. Ideally sub 60,000 miles, DSG auto and 3 door with all the toys, looking at 2010/2011 cars at moment and would welcome any tips from forum members, regarding known issues and the best mods to do, I will be looking at remap first.

I'm thinking of selling my s3 8p2 as I want a facelift. It's got 72k on the clock and is in fairly good nick for its age. Would I be looking at about 8k for it?

I'm thinking of selling my s3 8p2 as I want a facelift. It's got 72k on the clock and is in fairly good nick for its age. Would I be looking at about 8k for it?

Hi thanks for the thought but I'm also after the facelift. and preferably closer to 50,000 miles, good luck with your sale..

I had an 8l then b5 s4 now an 8p s3, out of the 3 i prefer the 8p to use every day, my old s3 has come up for sale recently and would love it back to use occasionaly but im still happy with the 8p, only car i would swap it for when the time comes would be an 8v but thats a long way off

Speaking of ARBs, any in particular you would recommend bud? I saw these Racingline ones on eBay, dunno if they are any good tho?
Those are parts sold by VWRacing.

Some of their parts are VWR branded but sourced elsewhere,so you may well find Eibach or H&R ARBs at better prices if you look.

*Update*

Cheers to everyone who posted advice so far, after viewing the car and taking it for a spin, I suggested that the seller should consider lowering his price below 9K, I offered him 8500 and he refused to budge from 9500 so I left it. The search continues, hopefully next time I'll stumble across an 8P3 S-tronic within my budget, although i'm not hopeful!

*Update*

Cheers to everyone who posted advice so far, after viewing the car and taking it for a spin, I suggested that the seller should consider lowering his price below 9K, I offered him 8500 and he refused to budge from 9500 so I left it. The search continues, hopefully next time I'll stumble across an 8P3 S-tronic within my budget, although i'm not hopeful!
Let us know how you get on with your search mate