Mountain Bikes

Well looking at the Merida spec, the components are pretty low spec for the price.

I'm sure you could get something a little better for the money.
Look out for at least Shimano Deore/XT components Or Sram X7
Also if its only for on road use then consider no suspension as the forks do add a fair bit of weight.

Another good brand out there is Giant. Before the brand snobs start, I trialled a few bikes before buying my Reign custom & it was for me a better, more stable downhill bike than a Mongoose, Trek, & Specialized equivalent.
I also have a Kona Stuff hard tail which i got for 500 reduced from 800 at the time & again i tried it up against a Specialized & the Kona felt better.
They do tend to be heavy bikes & components are on the lower end of the scale compared to others, but the frame is rock solid!

I think the best bet is also to go for a pre season bike or get one around September as thats when the new models start coming in.

The best bet is to go & try out a few & see what suits you best.
Hope this helps :)

I think any child seat on a bike is downright dangerous. At least the rider can jump off the bike if they lose stability, but the kid would be strapped into the seat unable to do anything other than hit the ground with their head.

I've been mountain biking for almost 20 years now (no, I'm not past it, I started young!) and although I'd love my daughter to get into it too, there's no way she'll be going anywhere near a bike child seat! She can wait until she's big enough to ride her own bike.

I agree with what your saying here but i've all the saftey gear for my son and it's only for a cycle round the block at a very slow speed. I'm not taking him onto any major roads or racing down the road with him on.

Thanks all for the advice, ended up getting the merida, I thinks its good enough for all i'm using it for. Only cycling into work which is only just under 4 miles and a bit off offroad when I ever get a chance. Hope to do a bit more cycling and offroad riding when I get the chance and if I get into in more I will spend more money and time looking into getting a better bike.

Went up through a local forest on friday, we all call it the lead mines. A few boys out of work took me up to show me where the go, once we got up the first track we went down was steep as ****. I had to be the first to fall off and wreck myself. Really enjoyed it apart from that.

Last edited: