motor for intake manifold flap

John Clutton

Reaction score
i had mine tested and got a fault p3103, motor for intake manifold flap (v157) malfunction. Do i replace this part or clean the motor,also if i replace does it need recalabrating to the ecu and if so does anyone know the code for this?
cheers

From reading around these units tend to fail and they either work or don’t, although some have achieved short-term success in cleaning them.
I’ve just done this job on my car today and was a really easy job , 3 bolts with T30 heads hold it in.
OK, the bolts are a bit tricky to get at but nothing impossible.
Be aware that when these fail they also tend to blow one of the fuses in the radiator fan circuit (on the A3 anyway!) which then needs to be replaced or you will still get the engine management light on the dash.
This caught me out today as I’d read it was Fuse 8 but in fact for my 2007 car proved to be Fuse 24 in the fusebox next to the battery.
No calibration needed, just bolt it in, clear fault codes (and also fuse if yours has blown) and drive .

Reactions: John Clutton
i had mine tested and got a fault p3103, motor for intake manifold flap (v157) malfunction. Do i replace this part or clean the motor,also if i replace does it need recalabrating to the ecu and if so does anyone know the code for this?
cheers
this has now been replaced, but the shuddering is still happening. what is the next thing to try?

I am having similar issued to you, I have just changed the ASV and it didn't stop the shudder, I checked everything I could and in the end I fiddled around with the connector on the wiring loom. The ASV now works intermittently so I belive it may be a bad connection in the plug. Worth a try

sorry for late reply but could post a pic so i know what im looking for. this fault is now getting worse. going up hill is NOT good.

Does the car ‘judder’ when u turn it off? Like it turns off in a hard/aggressive way if u know what i mean. Either the el part is gone/or the oil went through it to the electric part or just needs to be cleaned. Usually while driving this should not make the car shake/judder. Just once u turn it off and it pulls the engine light on. If the unit is replaced and the problem is the same(the turn off thing/eng light) check the wires from it to the eng computer or just make a ‘bypass’ /new wires if the problem is intermittent. U should check the wires anyway before paying for a new unit, although wires werent usually the problem on audis, more on wv. If u clean it, if it has alot of sooth, position the motor so that the electric part is facing up, so no cleaner can get in it trought the seals.

Edit: saw your last post, check the post i made in the other thread. This engine flap motor doesnt usually affect driving performance.

Cheers

Hi Guys
just wanted to share my experience of a similar fault. I used VCDS to diagnose 2 faults on my A6 AVANT 2.0 TDi BRE engine.
First was 000258 Mass Air Flow Sensor, quite an easy fix, just remove and clean with contact cleaner.
Second was more of an issue, 012547 intermittent fault with Intake Manifold Flap.
I removed the intake manifold flap and stripped it down to find it was full of oil, a result of overfilling the oil(I'd like to blame the missus, but I can't)
cleaned it out reassembled and refitted and drove for ten minutes. code still present and now cannot be cleared. Now no longer intermittent, its now 012546- no signal.
I read other comments about fuses and because I had no luck finding a blown one, I resorted to testing the connector to find it has power and a ground.
I tested it's function on VCDS and it said 94.5% which I think in normal circumstances would be fine but on an open or shut case (pardon the pun)it would appear that any less than 100% is not sufficient for the flap to operate.
So now I have come to the conclusion that I need a new one!
If I have missed anything, or anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

As a side note I forgot to mention that I tried to re align the intake manifold flap motor on VCDS but was unable to do so, instructions on Ross Tech site did not seem to be inaccurate, unless my 22 years experience in the trade was a complete waste of time.!

UPDATE well my car still has this issue still.....any chance it could be the clutch and flywheel?
AUDI A6 2.0TDI 140bhp automatic 7speed. 2006 Estate.
12547 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157)
P3103 - 000 - Malfunction - Intermittent

Got problem as well , no lights on dash, car starts hot or cold very well , no black smokes or something, but no power or i would say bad performance and high fuel usage. 12l/100km i think its a lot even in urban.

Does the car ‘judder’ when u turn it off? Like it turns off in a hard/aggressive way if u know what i mean. Either the el part is gone/or the oil went through it to the electric part or just needs to be cleaned. Usually while driving this should not make the car shake/judder. Just once u turn it off and it pulls the engine light on. If the unit is replaced and the problem is the same(the turn off thing/eng light) check the wires from it to the eng computer or just make a ‘bypass’ /new wires if the problem is intermittent. U should check the wires anyway before paying for a new unit, although wires werent usually the problem on audis, more on wv. If u clean it, if it has alot of sooth, position the motor so that the electric part is facing up, so no cleaner can get in it trought the seals.

Edit: saw your last post, check the post i made in the other thread. This engine flap motor doesnt usually affect driving performance.

Cheers

Hi, Audi a6 2.0 tdi 140bhp
Intake manifold motor swirpl flap , interminet , no EML , no smokes , engine runing as a dream, but high fuel and no power at all

Thanks for you replay,no judder at all. I cleaned all parts truth egr , intake manifold , just a little bit carbon but nothing bad , i will check wires tomorrow.
P.S. power gone really around 2k rpm and above.

Anybody got to the bottom of this issue? I have a 2006 BRE 2.0tdi. I have a new peirberg until installed but I am getting eml and loss of power as well as high fuel usage. I have read about a fuse but I have no fuse box in engine bay that I can see unless it's in scuttle panel? With vcds I cannot connect to channel 60 to do a calibration. Anybody help with further tests I can do.
Many thanks