MOT protection, how does it work, and, is it really worth the paper it printed on.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well chaps my used warranty comes to an end tomorrow along with the MOT protection , what I was hoping is that someone could clarify just what MOT protection is, and, is it really any use.
As I've mentioned, my warranty ends midnight tomorrow and my MOT is also due tomorrow so its going in Pm for a test, if the car fails for some reason(hopefully it wont) how do I stand with the MOT protection option, I understand the obvious parts like normal service parts wont be included , but what about suspension parts etc, and if there are failed parts whats the format for claiming.
any info would be great.

thanks for the link steve, I don't think i'd take it out , but as its part of the warranty that came with the car I was curious to see the format on things if it fails tomorrow and how I stand on claiming etc.
cheers
rob

I've never heard of MOT Protection insurance, new one on me. I guess A4Rob forgot his warranty was running out or he would have booked his mot a couple of weeks ago.

I have it, mine had a broken rear spring last year and only cost me £10 admin fee to get it replaced, rather than the £470 it would have cost.

For a tenner extra on your MOT ? Its a no brainer.

I've never heard of MOT Protection insurance, new one on me. I guess A4Rob forgot his warranty was running out or he would have booked his mot a couple of weeks ago.

nope , I knew exactly the date the warranty expires which does also happen to be the date the mot expires, and yes i made the booking 10 days ago, I just wanted to cover all aspects before things expire.
from my understanding today MOT protection is included with all audi used approved warranty packages.

well it didn't pass due to broken rear spring, so claiming on the warranty, just in the nick of time, just another nail in the cars coffin i suppose.

I'm surprised you didn't notice that, didn't it have a bit of a lean?

nope, when standing at the rear and looking straight at the rear the car is level and side view looked ok aswell.
spoke with warranty company and they said they will only ever replace one spring unless a pair has broken together, and maintain that even after 8 years and 38k miles the nearside spring will not have sagged at all, and there will be no difference when matched to a new offside spring.
To be honest the spring issue is a minor issue now as the oil consumption issue has returned , and the clutch is slipping more, depending on how my discussion goes tomorrow with the company MD about the car etc it may well be sold back to them .