MOT fail on emissions help?

sparkysi90

Reaction score
Hi all just after a bit of advice read alot about the dalt code but would just like to hear what u guys think. MOT failed on emissions
Vcds brings up
17861 - exhaust gas temp sensor 1 (g235) p1453 - 35-00 - open or short to plus

The guy at garage recons it could be the lamda sensor am I right in saying its more likely to be my EGT sensor?

No other fault codes coming up!

Thanks

Simon

EGT is likely, protection probably kicks in when the sensor's bust, which means you're probably running rich.
If your garage concludes it's lambda, based on that fault code, I'd look around for a more VAG-knowledgeable garage to work on your car...

Exhaust gas temperature sensor, it is in the turbo housing but the electrical connection is under the inlet manifold. The wire runs under the coolant pipe close to the block on the air filter side, its usually braided too.
Make sure its plugged in, if you have been working in that area it may have been left unplugged by accident! (Ive done this )

I new the fault code was coming up before I put it through for MOT just didn't realise it would fail it on emissions MOT tester didn't know about the code he just suggested lambda as a place to start.
I have unpluged as have the intake off a few months back so il check its all connected up correct and go from there a new sensor is ££££

Thanks for your reply

I new the fault code was coming up before I put it through for MOT just didn't realise it would fail it on emissions MOT tester didn't know about the code he just suggested lambda as a place to start.
I have unpluged as have the intake off a few months back so il check its all connected up correct and go from there a new sensor is ££££

Thanks for your reply

If the EGT sensor is unplugged or not working the ECU over fuels massively hence your emissions failure... leaving it too long will lead to bore wash and premature engine wear...

<tuffty/>