MORE POWER....

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Im going stage 1 soon, i thought about stage 2 but i dont think the extra cost gives you a big enough gain over stage 1. Ill be going with a res delete, and was wondering if theres any restrictive parts which would help get the max out of the car. Are the turbo intake pipes restrictive? Is there any airbox mods i can do without chucking £300/400 at it?

There is an airbox mod but im not quite sure what it entails..

Ive just bought/installed the R600 intake, intake pipe, turbo muffler delete and turbo elbow..

Ive also done res delete aswell but think thats more exhaust sound related not performance but dont quote me on that..

Im going in for map at the end of the month hopefully..

:rockwoot:

Whats the turbo muffler delete? what map are you going for?

by-brand/racingline-performance/racingline-performance-turbo-muffler-delete-ea888-gen3/

@Starry The factory one is quite restrictive from what i have read.. it helps air flow throughout the intake system..

I got my full intake system from volksworkshop for £630 with a 10% promo off

Ive been talking to @Chloe@unicornmotordev and @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. For some time now via email and think im going to book in with them when i get a rare day off for a stage1 ecu and dsg map along with there impulse map :yahoo:

Reactions: Chloe@unicornmotordev and Starry
Just out of interest, what impact do these mods have on the cost of insurance?

Reactions: Jassyo06
As above OEM airbox mod with panel filter. Turbo technics inlet pipe and you're right for maximum from stage 1.

Those mods shown to gain 15hp over stock parts with stage 1 through Rick at unicorn.

As above OEM airbox mod with panel filter. Turbo technics inlet pipe and you're right for maximum from stage 1.

Those mods shown to gain 15hp over stock parts with stage 1 through Rick at unicorn.
Ah, thanks, this was what I was thinking.

by-brand/racingline-performance/racingline-performance-turbo-muffler-delete-ea888-gen3/

@Starry The factory one is quite restrictive from what i have read.. it helps air flow throughout the intake system..

I got my full intake system from volksworkshop for £630 with a 10% promo off

Ive been talking to @Chloe@unicornmotordev and @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. For some time now via email and think im going to book in with them when i get a rare day off for a stage1 ecu and dsg map along with there impulse map :yahoo:

What is the impulse mod?
I was told that the DSG mod wasn't necessary on the new FL S3

It isn't in terms of torque output as the DQ381 holds more torque. However you can still get the benefits of no kickdown in manual, optimsed shift points in D and S mode, optimised Launch Control RPM. improved coolant flow that come with a DSG map.

Impulse is a combustion mode that makes the pops and crackles. It is fully temperature controlled in order not to hurt the engine or exhaust system. You can have it working only on Dynamic mode which is how we do it for most people.

Rick

Do you guys think the 400HP on my new RS3 is enough power?

I’m worried its too slow when trying to get away from the crazy driving of @jassyo06

Reactions: Jassyo06
After seeing the turbo inlet pipe or elbow being mentioned again and again I need to get this of my chest (no offence @aussieR :hi:)

I know my opinion will not be popular but I would save some money and keep the stock turbo inlet elbow, here's why:

First, I allow myself to use the below arguments for both turbo inlet pipes with turbo inlet elbows and just turbo inlet elbows. Just changing the OEM pipe and keeping the OEM elbow haven't shown to change anything, which shows it all comes down to the turbo inlet elbow alone.

Second, this guy at golfmk7.com pretty much sums it up and he's not even a mechanical engineer: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=489810&postcount=333

Third, you should understand the behaviour of gasses (air) inside a tube before replacing any part just for the sake of it being bigger. And that's how they make you buy the part in the first place – “it’s bigger, therefore better”. Seeing from an engineering perspective this is not always true.

For comparisons here is the CTS turbo inlet elbow (left) and the OEM inlet elbow (right).

Let’s take a look at the below Large eddy simulations (LES) of your new turbo inlet elbow from TT, APR, CTS, VWR, you name it. There is no need for me to explain this in depth, just look at the velocity and especially the shape where the velocity is highest, see any similarity in shape to the OEM inlet elbow? By reducing the diameter gradually during the 0° to 90° bend we forces the air on the inside of the elbow with the lowest velocity up in speed making the air entering the turbo having the highest speed possible.

2018 02 16 10 39 29

One thing is speed but what about the “quality” of the air entering the turbo? We want this air to be as laminar or as less turbulent as possible. Let’s look at the next picture with turbulence in mind. Again, just look at the shape of the lines on the black/white picture. We don’t want the lines to break or change direction during the 90° bend which is what an aftermarket inlet elbow makes room for.

2018 02 16 10 39 42

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0142727X08000337

Now you ask me: “So tell me, why does my aftermarket inlet elbow make 5-7hp more than the stock one on my stage 1 car???”. I have no scientific paper explaining this (obviously) but let me try to explain this as an engineer. The stock inlet pipe is designed specifically for the stock power and the stock air amount the turbo will ask for to power the engine. By increasing the boost and the need for air the stock inlet pipe may be a slight bottleneck. But hey, did I just admit that an aftermarket inlet elbow does make a difference? Yes I did, but only WOT (as on a dyno) where the amount of air entering the turbo is limited by the stock inlet pipe and not the aftermarket. During any other scenario the stock inlet elbow will provide better and smoother (more laminar) airflow for the turbo which makes your turbo happy and less likely to f*ck up (which will f*ck up your wallet) and also make the driving experience more smooth at part throttle (someone using an aftermarket turbo inlet elbow actually described the ride to be less smooth on part throttle in another thread/forum, I will find it if you ask me to).

And don’t even get me started on how increasing the diameter of the pipe (just before the turbo) to be larger than the inlet hole in the turbo will change anything other than the amount of turbulent airflow.

(Please remember this is my and only my opinion, if you’re happy with your inlet pipe/elbow I’m happy. If anyone buys an inlet pipe/elbow after reading this I’m still happy, because then the decision was made on calculated scientific pros and cons).

Last edited:
Reactions: gringosteve, Spinstorm and aussieR
Reactions: racerboy55
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=fe826b35327f188f8bfd38641732bd15&oe=5B20E129

Here is link to one of better custom tuners in melbourne showing gains from changing the inlet. To me it looks worth it. Decent low end and top end gians. At some places looks almost 15wkw more.

To me I personally couldn't care much about the top end gain. But the low end response must be noticeably better looking at graph.

Noticed the best gains to be in low end as turbo spools better. Im using mst 3” TIP with cool design (velocity stack inside)