More Power

S3 TAM

Pocket now empty
Reaction score
Hi All,

Right I've been loggin block 120 with Vag Com and I can't beat the 257bhp im getting. my map claims to be 261bhp. I'm going to smooth out my air box this weekend to see if that makes a difference. Are their any other small mods that I can do that will give me some "small" gains just to break 260.....

Might have to start doing light weight reduction, seats, driver, wheels etc. Lol

Green cotton panel filter and de-mesh the maf, should get you other the 260bhp.

Dani_B19 I've already got a Green cotton Panel and I've heard mix reports about the de-meshing of the MAF.
Will it not shortern the life of the MAF?

Run a cold air feed from the front bumper to air box.

3 inch Downpipe. not a small job though.

Seen more variance than that in between dyno runs... wait until the winter and your power will be higher for a bit...

Even if you could get 261bhp on one run I doubt it would be that repeatable without varying by a few bhp.... turbo cars are too sensitive to heat and they will generate a lot of it......

On a recent dyno session with Bill's 1.4tdi Arosa, I sprayed the intercooler with water during the run so we could get it over the 100bhp mark... was just under without it :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Dani_B19 I've already got a Green cotton Panel and I've heard mix reports about the de-meshing of the MAF.
Will it not shortern the life of the MAF?

How can it, all your doing is allowing more air to travel through the MAF hosuing, some people rate it, some dont, i rate it :) haha, had mine done for 12 months and no problems.

How can it, all your doing is allowing more air to travel through the MAF hosuing, some people rate it, some dont, i rate it :) haha, had mine done for 12 months and no problems.

I see, sweet might give that a go then :)

Thanks for all the replys think I will run a new cold air feed as well as demesh the MAF and smooth the air box out.

I only put V Power in since the day I got her.

Say you had a couple of grand what would you do.

Cheers

you are seriously worried about the loss of 4 BHP OM actual G

It's more likely your dyno run was a little happy tbh, the figure you have seen using the MAF calculation or Liquid gauge is only an approxamation anyway not an exact thing , it's close but not perfect

you are seriously worried about the loss of 4 BHP OM actual G

It's more likely your dyno run was a little happy tbh, the figure you have seen using the MAF calculation or Liquid gauge is only an approxamation anyway not an exact thing , it's close but not perfect

I understand it's a approxamation i'm just trying to get as much as possiable before I go and get it dyno'd in a few weeks.

Say you had a couple of grand what would you do.

Cheers

With Billys and eibach springs, a remap with Tip, dv and green cotton filter already, I'm planning on forge fmic, 3inch dp and rods, that'll eat up a couple of grand I imagine.

I always thought de-meshing the MAF would mess it up? Hmmm!

Dude, the N249 bypass makes a nice difference!

I always thought de-meshing the MAF would mess it up? Hmmm!

Dude, the N249 bypass makes a nice difference!

I've already done it Troopa.

Dane, I'm in a similar position to you I was think FMIC, Rods and 3" DP as well possibly exhaust mani. Will this give any significant gains? will I need to get a custom map after the mods?

I've already done it Troopa.

Dane, I'm in a similar position to you I was think FMIC, Rods and 3" DP as well possibly exhaust mani. Will this give any significant gains? will I need to get a custom map after the mods?

From what I've read it should give some good results, another remap afterwards will help take these mods into account and push more power. Some places won't do a stage 2 remap without an aftermarket exhaust, but I'm not too inclined to fit one (assuming the dp will fit the standard exhaust, I haven't done too much reading up n this yet) because I dont want the drone and because tuffty's seemed to cope until it was pushing alot more power, saving some dosh.

Oh yeah and brakes at some point lol, the list never stops :laugh:

Sorry to high jack the thread but does anyone no if theres a block to log to find out if the coil packs are on there way out?

I'm quiet happy with my brakes at the min i've got Grooved discs, Ferodo ds2500 pads, Dot 5 fluid and braided hoses. seems to do the job at the min.

I think you have to get some sort of adaptor to fit the 3" DP to standard exhaust. I dont want to spend the money on a new exhaust as well after reading on here that the standard one is sufficient.

looks like we're heading in the same direction. lol

Sorry to high jack the thread but does anyone no if theres a block to log to find out if the coil packs are on there way out?

This might help you not sure tho.

Misfire recognition

RPM
Last
Misfire counter
Misfire recognition

[1/min]
[%]
[n]
Text
activated / locked
Misfire recognition

Counter Cyl.. 1
Counter Cyl. 2
Counter Cyl. 3
Misfire recognition

[n]
[n]
[n]
Text:
activated / locked

Misfire recognition

Counter Cyl.. 4
Counter Cyl. 5
Counter Cyl. 6
Misfire recognition

[n]
[n]
[n]
Text:
activated / locked

Misfire recognition

Counter Cyl.. 7
Counter Cyl. 8
Counter Cyl. 9
Misfire recognition

[n]
[n]
[n]
Text
activated / locked

I think you have to get some sort of adaptor to fit the 3" DP to standard exhaust.

Pipewerx downpipe is 3" then reduced to 2.5" to fit standard exhaust.

This might help you not sure tho.

Misfire recognition

RPM
Last
Misfire counter
Misfire recognition

[1/min]
[%]
[n]
Text
activated / locked
Misfire recognition

Counter Cyl.. 1
Counter Cyl. 2
Counter Cyl. 3
Misfire recognition

[n]
[n]
[n]
Text:
activated / locked

Misfire recognition

Counter Cyl.. 4
Counter Cyl. 5
Counter Cyl. 6
Misfire recognition

[n]
[n]
[n]
Text:
activated / locked

Misfire recognition

Counter Cyl.. 7
Counter Cyl. 8
Counter Cyl. 9
Misfire recognition

[n]
[n]
[n]
Text
activated / locked

Sweet. thanks man, will try it this afternoon. just thanked you too ;-)

I'm quiet happy with my brakes at the min i've got Grooved discs, Ferodo ds2500 pads, Dot 5 fluid and braided hoses. seems to do the job at the min.

I think you have to get some sort of adaptor to fit the 3" DP to standard exhaust. I dont want to spend the money on a new exhaust as well after reading on here that the standard one is sufficient.

looks like we're heading in the same direction. lol

Thats the plan for my brakes too, definately in the same direction, let me know when you get there lol!

Mines not pushing 257 brake from a stage 1 map though. What order are you going to do it in? peace of mind says rods first, but then again it might be fine and i can do the go faster bits first.

Thats the plan for my brakes too, definately in the same direction, let me know when you get there lol!

Mines not pushing 257 brake from a stage 1 map though. What order are you going to do it in? peace of mind says rods first, but then again it might be fine and i can do the go faster bits first.

I think i'm gonna do 3" first, fmic then rods. the rods should be alright till you get to about 300+ BHP. Plus thats gonna be the most expensive I should imagine.

I'll keep you updated with the progess...

Last edited:
Pipewerx downpipe is 3" then reduced to 2.5" to fit standard exhaust.

I've just emailed Pipewerx they said £475 with 200 cell cat, £300 with decat and they don't do a 3" DP to fit on standard cat.
They also recommended poly dog bone @ £25.

Do I need to get a sports cat then? Bearing in mind that I don't want to spend the cash if I don't need to. rather spend on something else like fmic or rods.

I went for a decat pipe but your car will fail MOT because off emissions unless you know a MOT place that will blink an eye when doing your emissions lol. . . . . . I didnt fit a poly dog bone but wish i had as i have got a slight knocking sound where the 3" pipe is hitting bulk head i think.