More phatnoise questions / problems

mattyboy199

Reaction score
1. I installed the software on to my PC no problem, plugged the cradle in & no power at all (its a uk version). I decided to try a few different ac adapters to identify the problem, it seems the AC adapter is the problem. I tried a few the adapters & the only one that works is a US robotics one that is 18v (is this what i should be looking at ? volts) all others dont seem to be powerful enough even the adjustable one i have which didnt work on any settings (well light both lights).HELP !

2. I begun to organise my music have noticed not all albums etc will display in the same order as on my PC ? I see you can change order setting using options but will i have to edit all track, genre, artist, title if their incorrect or similar. Say for example i have a mixed cd which is mixed into the following track & on track change the track is different ?

Any would be TOP

thanks

Matt

Dont know if its any use but this is how I do sort mine

I create a playlist using the name of the artist or compilation name and then simply dump amy relevant tracks into this playlist. This way you dont have to bother with any of the MP3 tag id's etc.

then simply choose CD 2 from the control (playlist) and it read the name of the playlist to you, which will infact be the name of the artist or compilation.

Simple but works a treat

Just checked the power supply on mine, it a multifunction one from the states. The power is set at 12v and the transformer is rated at 18 watts

you will probably find that most multi adapters wont give out enough power.

Hope it helps

Simon

If you bought of Ebay it will be USA spec and they will have changed the adapter for you.

Your right about the quality of the PSU it’s got to be capable of a 1000mA & regulated that’s the important bit (unregulated causes problems with the hard drive).

9V will power the USB (it does on mine) but you will have problems if you go below 1000mA & unregulated it will power the cradle but not the hard drive in the DMS.

The AC to DC adapter specifications are as follows:

Find a "regulated" power supply; this means its voltage is always the same regardless of the load current. Transformers do not fall into this category.

Output (7.5 - 12V DC), 1000mA

The plug specifications are:

2.1 mm inner diameter, 5.0 mm outer diameter, 9mm sleeve, center positive

I got mine from maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13044&criteria=vn10l&doy=14m3

you can also update the software to media manager for free from Phatnoise

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/software

or straight to download (big file) below

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/software/PMM_3.92_WWW.exe

yeah the adapter i have (US robotics) is rated at 18v & 1000Ma like you say the cradle powers up with other adapters but hasnt enough power to allow the DMS drive to actually run. Will the 18v have an effect on the DMS is it to much ?

Matt

The specification I gave you for the adapter is direct from Phatnoise & they recommend no more than 12 volts.

However the maximum limit of the circuit set by it's components is around 25 volts.

Someone ran a test on the cradle and came to the conclusion 15 volts was a safe workable limit anything over and potential problems could exist (but this figure was not set in stone).

The cradle, DMS hard drive and controller are not that cheap to replace if it goes bang & £9.99 for a new PSU is not that much for piece of mind.

So at 18 volts it’s your call.

Right guys got my cd cable today, it has the blue plastic block connector is but i have the large black one rather than the split in my car. Whats the easiest way to remove the pins from the connector block ?

Thanks

Matt

It is not that easy you need a special tool (or a lot of patience with a paper clip / pin).

tool.jpg

Option 2 is to order replacement pins or pins with wire from an Audi dealer.

I used pins with wire they cost £1 each. They are a wire with a pin on each end cut the wire in half and solder onto your cable you will need 5 which will be enough for ten wires.

Female pins with wires Audi Part# 000 979 131 :-: 000 979 131A (0.5 mm wire ‘A’ means gold pins) or 000-979-019; (1.0 mm wire )

Female Pins only with no wire that you crimp on the end of a bare wire Audi Part# N-103-357-06 or N-103-358-07.

pin.jpg

from what i can see the protruding bits on the side of the pins are what locks them into the connector blocks. Shuould nt be to difficult to remove may take while though.

Yes your right & that’s what I started to do then I lost patience (pin in finger once too many).

For some reason (big dumb hands) it did not work as I hoped so I thought sod it for £ 5 I will buy the wires.

At least you know if you get stuck or damage them you have another option.

surely the pins that crimp on are the easier method though, just cut the block connector off & so on.

right i managed to get one pin out pretty easy i thought, i m gonna do the rest later. Please confirm if i m right in saying that i ll need to record the colour of wire to each pin number socket. The wires seem to be different colours to the diagram i ve got so i would have thought same position but just different colours.

mattyboy199 said:
surely the pins that crimp on are the easier method though, just cut the block connector off & so on.

Yep your probably right.
When I first did this it was a while ago and getting hold of the part numbers was not easy did not find the ones for the pins until after I had ordered the wires also I was making an RCA plug adapter which need the wires attached.

As far as the cable colours if its not a genuine Audi cable then the colours could be different so your right same position different colour is the way to go.

Installed my cd cable last night & to my surprise everything worked fine first time round. The only problem i have now is where i should install the box & how.
The area above the sub seems to be aboout an inch or 2 too small either way round unless i cut the casing or cut the covering panel that clips in. From pictures i ve seen of other installations i thought it was possible to fit the box in this area, its seems i have alot of stuff, cables & circuit boards packed into this area. Once again any help would apprciated

Thanks

Matt

respect to you guys you got time. i just bought an ipod and adaptor for my Alpine head unit and it took me 7 mins to install and i can operate it from my head unit. Looked at phat noise but the ipod more versatile.

You would be very surprised mate, after installation its the best thing i could of done. I love it.