Monochrome MMI to Colour MMI

C6A6

Reaction score
Hi All

I’ve been lurking on the forum for a few weeks trying to find the info on an MMI retrofit but unfortunately I can’t seem to find the complete answer.
I apologise if this has been asked too many times...

I recently purchased a 55 plate A6. She’s a 2.0 tfsi S-Line. It’s got a monochrome red/black MMI screen and I’m looking to upgrade to colour.

From everything I’ve read I’ve currently got a 2G MMI basic plus? Ive got no Nav or BT but do have the 10 speaker system with amp.
I thought I had MMI Basic but this site suggests otherwise. http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/audi_mmi.php

I’m not worried about DVD but would be great to get navigation and a colour screen. A search on other forums suggests that it’s possible but would need to add quite a few additional parts such as CD changer, new screen, control head etc. A search on evilbay revealed this:- https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113602449317

Please can someone clarify if it’s possible and what I would need?
I have a friend who would be able to code everything in but I’m unsure if it’s definitely possible and if the above eBay link is the answer?
If you need any pics of my current setup let me know.

Thank you in advance.

@B5NUT has done rertofit on MMI system but not sure which one from and to which one to.
He covered it he's extended C6 retrofiting story.

Look him up

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: C6A6
@B5NUT has done rertofit on MMI system but not sure which one from and to which one to.
He covered it he's extended C6 retrofiting story.

Look him up

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kris. I’ll have a search about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk
It's possible to convert the MMI Basic (or basic+) to MMI High, the issue comes down to making up the wiring harness, Kufatec sell a conversion kit but that comes at a high price of £1200... These days you could get all the required hardware for about £300 + additional modules like BT, TV, etc. The problem you have is to source or make up your own wiring harness to convert the MMI Basic connector (quadlock) to the MMI high control head (20pin flat connector). Your also likely to need MOST cables & connector but you can buy them off ebay.

Thanks mate. I think the wiring harness is where I’m going to struggle. Bit of a shame but hey ho. I’m used to fords and Vauxhall where the loom is already there and you just bolt on the upgrades haha.

What would the implication be if I wanted to add Nav to monochrome?

Not 100% sure, never retrofitted NAV on MMI basic.

No worries.

Can I pick your brain about one more thing... I went to Audi today to see if I could get an AMI for the basic MMI.
They quoted me over £1000 to change the glovebox, cd changer etc.

Apart from the Denson gateway which looks to be only for MMI high models do you know of any other way I could get aux into the A6. I listen to Spotify every day driving to & from work and the Radio isn’t quite cutting it haha.

Thank you in advance.

AMI won't work on MMI Basic systems, it needs high. The Dension Gateway 500 will work on MMI Basic systems, but you will lose your CD-Changer from what I remember.

I don't know of any other solutions.

Brilliant. That clears up my suspicions. Thank you for your help on this mate. Much appreciated.

It's possible to convert the MMI Basic (or basic+) to MMI High, the issue comes down to making up the wiring harness, Kufatec sell a conversion kit but that comes at a high price of £1200... These days you could get all the required hardware for about £300 + additional modules like BT, TV, etc. The problem you have is to source or make up your own wiring harness to convert the MMI Basic connector (quadlock) to the MMI high control head (20pin flat connector). Your also likely to need MOST cables & connector but you can buy them off ebay.

Sorry just going back to this, I had a look through all the threads you started but I couldn’t see the one where you listed the MMI upgrade.
I don’t suppose you have a list of part no’s saved on an old post which you used to upgrade the MMI?

I never did a Basic to High upgrade, I worked on 2G High to 3G and 3GP retrofits.

Ah I see. You had a good foundation to begin with then. I was in 2 minds when buying the car, either get the 2G low and have the S Line trim or get the 2G high and have SE trim. In the end I went form over function thinking it wouldn’t be to big a job to retrofit. Looks as though this little project is going to be quite a challenge haha.

I’m reading about on various threads on here. It sounds like your the resident guru.

I’ll have a dig through on part no’s and see what I can find. Thanks again for your help and for the quick response.

It's not difficult, just search ebay for Audi A6 MMI 2G parts. The control head & screen must be from an A6, but the CD-Changer, Radio, etc could be from an A6, A8, Q7 from around the same age.

Thanks B5nut.

I was only asking about part numbers as I recall reading a post on the various MMI systems and I’m sure one of the things mentioned was that there were 2 different bus types depending on the year of the A6?

All of your parts must come from either a c6 A6, D3 A8 or 4L Q7. They also need to be MOST (fiber optic) components can-bus versions from the A4/A5 etc won't work either.

All of your parts must come from either a c6 A6, D3 A8 or 4L Q7. They also need to be MOST (fiber optic) components can-bus versions from the A4/A5 etc won't work either.

You sir are a fountain of knowledge. Thank you very much. I’ll have a google around now.