Mods ok on stock tune?

m1tch

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if it would be ok/safe to change the intake and exhaust but still run a stock ECU map, my guess is that it should be ok as the air flow meter should adjust the fueling and timing as per the airflow.

I will be completing my project car in stages and will probably look to do a few drag runs in various states of tune from bone stock to forged engine - will be interesting to see what difference it makes for each mod. I will initially be running the car in stock form but might take an aftermarket air filter with me to swap over at the track and do back to back runs to see what happens with the time.

I just need to check if changing over some basic hardware eg intake and exhaust is still fine on a stock ECU map, ideally I would port the wastegate as well to avoid boost creep as well. I don't plan to touch the boost level when everything is standard but might fit a EBC to maintain a steady stock boost level.

I'm getting into this right now with my '09 S3. Somebody told me to get all the pieces and then put them all together on the car: downpipe or a turbo-back as you wish, intake (not really necessary in my case), fuel pump, Diverter/pop-off and then map, BUT, I also wanted to appreciate every step, so I asked how should I start if i didn't want to put everything together and the first things to fit are downpipe and intake, as you don't need to map immediatly and when you're ok with the rest of the hardware you go software.

I'm getting into this right now with my '09 S3. Somebody told me to get all the pieces and then put them all together on the car: downpipe or a turbo-back as you wish, intake (not really necessary in my case), fuel pump, Diverter/pop-off and then map, BUT, I also wanted to appreciate every step, so I asked how should I start if i didn't want to put everything together and the first things to fit are downpipe and intake, as you don't need to map immediatly and when you're ok with the rest of the hardware you go software.

Thanks for that, I will be doing it all in stages, I will need to get a custom downpipe made though as I won't be keeping the stock turbo or manifold in the later stages so will probably go with a single exit catback to help flow and reduce weight. Just checking that bolting basic things on didn't cause issues with the engine as I am guessing that if the boost level is the same the ECU will just compensate for a different part of the fuel map.