Modified OEM Intake - 8V S3

I think I know what you mean/have done - but personally I'd leave jt open as it can allow more airflow into the airbox (and engine). I'm no expert but thats my 2 pence. In the uk we never really have 'hot' weather too. In hotter climates it could be something to definitely consider though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some aftermarket intake like VWR600, Injen Evo3000 and Forge Carbon intake doesnt have open engine side as its only got open side from front and from the passenger side as well. I think it help in warm/ hot weather as engine compartment get pretty hot but i think Audi kept it open for engine room to get cooler maybe i m wrong....like Revo Carbon kept it open on both side like oem and open front at the passenger side as well

Attachments

• 1932_MQB+Carbon+Intake_xl.jpg
    1932_MQB+Carbon+Intake_xl.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 945
  • 1931_MQB+Carbon+Intake_xl.jpg
    1931_MQB+Carbon+Intake_xl.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 2,261
Last edited:
Just done the mod by drilling and cutting the oem panel, took around 20mins all thanks to RO65ERS. I still cant figured out how to remove tht trim piece behind the grill.

Just done the mod by drilling and cutting the oem panel, took around 20mins all thanks to RO65ERS. I still cant figured out how to remove tht trim piece behind the grill.

If it helps, here's a couple of pictures of what the clips look like in the grill trim:

If you push the small hook-looking piece in the middle, there's a small cylinder of plastic (attached to the main grill trim) that will pop out. There's about 8 of them, it's a bit fiddly but once you've done one you'll do the rest easily.

Reactions: Salik Sajid
Done this! worked great. I hace Injen open filter intake. Runs stronger n

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

How hard is it to change the grill mate, does the bumper Come off easy enough
Yes the bumper comes off easily enough, you are better completely removing it and draining and disconnecting the washer fluid reservoir,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 959
Just to revive this thread, awesome mod and I've got my revo filter in now too which gives some more spooling/induction noise and better throttle response. Fab mod.

Just to revive this thread, awesome mod and I've got my revo filter in now too which gives some more spooling/induction noise and better throttle response. Fab mod.
I got it too revo filter with revo inlet...excuse the dirty bay

31be9e9464442c640d789b56335e48be.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using Tapatalk

I did this intake mod today wow! It definitely pulls a lot harder. I had the big long plastic intake cover off while the engine was idling and I could feel the air with my hand pulling in from where I just cut it open.

With this the Jb1 and a pedal box there is almost no lag.

Reactions: Salik Sajid and S3 Turbo
I did this intake mod today wow! It definitely pulls a lot harder. I had the big long plastic intake cover off while the engine was idling and I could feel the air with my hand pulling in from where I just cut it open.

With this the Jb1 and a pedal box there is almost no lag.

Get a turbo inlet elbow and it will be even better!

Might have to look into that. Any recommendations?

If you have UK rhd car, the turbo technics hose is very popular. One piece that combines both inlet elbow and hose all the way to airbox.

I use the CTS Turbo elbow 'Mqb high flow turbo inlet pipe'.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Whitwhit
This is a very nice mod, and cheaper.
I understand that if the RS3 comes without the lid, remove it in a normal A3 should not have any risk. I say this in relation to those who say it protects the interior of rocks and water.

In contrast, after reading the whole thread, it is not clear if really any benefit (more power and better cooling of the engine compartment, for example) is gained when cutting the part of the air inlet.

Someone with the 1.8 TFSI and has done so, have you noticed something?
best regards,

Induction noise is a definite, with the front windows down I can hear it even more. Nice but not too OTT. Power delivery wise in the lower rpm band it seems a bit more responsive. Maybe there is a bit more power but that could easily just be the placebo effect, but in theory it should.

What engine do you have in your A3?

Induction noise is a definite, with the front windows down I can hear it even more. Nice but not too OTT. Power delivery wise in the lower rpm band it seems a bit more responsive. Maybe there is a bit more power but that could easily just be the placebo effect, but in theory it should.

What engine do you have in your A3?

Thank you for the feedback.
I have an A3 8V S/B 1.8 TFSI S-line 180bph manual (CJSA / QWZ)

Reactions: pburv
Great choice, and fab colour :) Rare on an A3!

Reactions: pburv and FrA1l3
@S3 Turbo Difference to power or intake noise?

About turbo inlet pipe / elbow:

A little better response and notably more high end power.

There are dyno results on vwroc for the tt one, but results ought to be similiar with the CTS.

There is a separate thread here on the CTS inlet pipe with more info.

Reactions: pburv and Whitwhit
Hello dudes!

I had a light touch with the front bumper and I changed it , and put the black gloss package and I have delivered today the car.
I have reviewed the grill to make this mod, but what was my surprise that this grill comes with everything open , I mean with the mod made :dizzy::dizzy:. In the prior grill, the air filter not know how he was, whether open or closed the lid, but what is certain is that the first line of the front grille was closed. I leave a comparative picture and air filter opening now ....

5TEPQpu.jpg

Mix3.jpg

After...................................................................................................................before (plastidip grill...)

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Took out the guard thing in the bottom of the airbox today to see what difference just that makes (don't really want to do anything with the car unless it is reversible, just my personal opinion)

For anyone attempting it, grab the grill from the sides! Not the middle. Ha I initially grabbed it from the middle and snapped one of the little fins.

I'm really just expecting a bit of noise difference. It does seem like quite a restrictive part, then again I'm sure it was researched for hours probably when designed

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
About turbo inlet pipe / elbow:

A little better response and notably more high end power.

There are dyno results on vwroc for the tt one, but results ought to be similiar with the CTS.

There is a separate thread here on the CTS inlet pipe with more info.

Interesting indeed! Will look into this when I go for my Stage 1.

Reactions: pburv, Salik Sajid, S3 Turbo and 1 other person
Interesting indeed! Will look into this when I go for my Stage 1.

CTS inlet pipe brings 9bhp to a stage 1 S3. If you have a silicon after market inlet pipe from your air box already then the CTS pipe is a good option otherwise go for the Turbo Technics one which combine the two in one silicon pipe available from Awesome Gti.

Reactions: pburv, SJ43 and S3 Turbo
If you have UK rhd car, the turbo technics hose is very popular. One piece that combines both inlet elbow and hose all the way to airbox.

I use the CTS Turbo elbow 'Mqb high flow turbo inlet pipe'.
Do have link for the turbo technics item ?

Last edited:
Anyone that's removed the snow grate from the air box depending on what filter you have in there it's worth popping the lid off from time to time to clear it out (the lower part of the air box under the filter) - you'd be surprised what gets past the filter.

I have the Revo foam filter and found wasps and dirt in mine yesterday.

Reactions: SJ43, pburv and S3 Turbo
From what I posted, is the 'snow grate' the part I removed the other day? The plastic grille style part under the filter in the box?

Air passes 'up' through this normally right?

From what I posted, is the 'snow grate' the part I removed the other day? The plastic grille style part under the filter in the box?

Air passes 'up' through this normally right?

Yes mate.

Actually that's a very good point LoL air goes from below and passes through the filter and then to the engine via the upper half of the air box. Ignore my earlier post all is well in the world :scared2:

Reactions: pburv
Yes mate.

Actually that's a very good point LoL air goes from below and passes through the filter and then to the engine via the upper half of the air box. Ignore my earlier post all is well in the world :scared2:

Ha :D

Anyone that's removed the snow grate from the air box depending on what filter you have in there it's worth popping the lid off from time to time to clear it out (the lower part of the air box under the filter) - you'd be surprised what gets past the filter.

I have the Revo foam filter and found wasps and dirt in mine yesterday.

Thanks for the advice mate!

Will take a look...

Edit: Saw the incorrect 'past the filter' comment now but still think from what you said that a lot of s.h.i.t. may collect in the long run otherwise...

Thanks for the advice mate!

Will take a look...

Edit: Saw the incorrect 'past the filter' comment now but still think from what you said that a lot of s.h.i.t. may collect in the long run otherwise...

I got the filter the wrong way round LoL but if you've removed the upper grille blanking plate like some people have then there definitely will be all manner of unwanted visitors in there!

Reactions: pburv and S3 Turbo
@RO65ERS , this is a great thread. Airbox grate removal and Air Intake alteration.

@Bristle Hound is this not worthy of a sticky " FAQs Fequently asked questions " thread place. Apologies if its already there but I had a quick check and could not find it in the "How to " sections etc.

Thx
Jungle

Reactions: pburv and S3 Turbo
Reactions: jungle650 and pburv
So not to revive this thread a few months later but after reading through I tried to do this on my FL 2017 in the US only to find that the panel behind the grille/rings is actually screwed into the grille now. Since I'm not going to be pulling the bumper off I guess I won't be doing the mod, since it'll still be blocked by the grille panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: AL_B
Did part 2 of 3 of this today

Removed the snowgrate bit in the filter box a while ago.

Today I made the holes in the 'inner' plastic piece.

But I couldn't quite get the bit in the grille out. I unclipped the bottom half but couldn't work out the top half. Ended up leaving it because:

A, if I decide to revert it, it doesn't look too easy to get back in
B, it should still make a difference with parts 1 and 2 of the mod alone, because it still opens up a big gap that wasn't there before and that will take in air from the open parts of the grill, just won't be as direct
C, the RS3 grille even has this piece as pointed out by someone (@Rob2k68 I believe) so can't do that much harm

Reactions: Salik Sajid and Rob2k68
I will update the thread with my impressions.
Finally after 17,000kms (10600 mi) I changed the original Sline chrome grille by the Sline black gloss package, I now carry 10.000kms (6200mi) with it.
The main difference is that the new one does not come with the lid that this thread is about.

The main difference is that the oil actually takes a little longer to warm up, several minutes more.
In addition the maximum temperature before reached 113ºC (235,4F) and now it is rare that it passes of 107ºC (224,6F), in the same routes and use.

In addition now if it sounds a little more the noise of admission of the air in stopped, before it was not so much heard.

To finish here you have a photo of the new grill:
Fuentes_5.jpg

I will update the thread with my impressions.
Finally after 17,000kms (10600 mi) I changed the original Sline chrome grille by the Sline black gloss package, I now carry 10.000kms (6200mi) with it.
The main difference is that the new one does not come with the lid that this thread is about.

The main difference is that the oil actually takes a little longer to warm up, several minutes more.
In addition the maximum temperature before reached 113ºC (235,4F) and now it is rare that it passes of 107ºC (224,6F), in the same routes and use.

In addition now if it sounds a little more the noise of admission of the air in stopped, before it was not so much heard.

To finish here you have a photo of the new grill:
Fuentes_5.jpg

black grill look much better. i have removed the lid behind the grill after cutting the front air duct near the oem box, even my oil temp take time to reach to 112c temp.

Reactions: FrA1l3
Would this intake mod work on a diesel by any chance?
Or would it cause problems such to the compression ratio?

finally after changed my oem air filter to a K&N filter, I drill the last piece of this DIY:

Before:
14.jpg

15.jpg

And after:
21.jpg

20.jpg

I left the vertical supports to strong the piece.
Thank you for this helping DIY!!

Reactions: splinter, umm and Salik Sajid
finally after changed my oem air filter to a K&N filter, I drill the last piece of this DIY:

Before:
14.jpg

15.jpg

And after:
21.jpg

20.jpg

I left the vertical supports to strong the piece.
Thank you for this helping DIY!!
Hows the response now?? I felt slight better as i have A3 1.8T but on S3 u will feel more better response.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Decided to do this to my car yesterday and discovered that the end plate on the top of the grill have been changed to a larger one. Now it's not only clipped on but also uses two bolts.

I decided not to remove the part because it seemed to be very difficult now it's bigger and because I don't think it makes that much of a difference (nothing that I would feel anyway). When the air is hitting the radiators it will still get pushed left, right, down and also up into the holes I drilled in the plastic part.

Here is some pictures for clarification:

Number 9 here:
uc

uc

uc

Last edited:
Reactions: AL_B