Facelift Modifications and Warranty

ASRman

Reaction score
How does modifications affect new car warranty? For example, you tune the car, turbo goes boom, clearly this is a big risk to warranty as the tune is clearly attributed to the failure. The owner in that instance rightfully so should fork out his own pocket for a new turbo.

But what about everything else? Example you tune the car, and your leather seats start peeling off, are the seats warranty void? Or you tune the car and radio stops working? Will they (can they) void warranty on parts which have arguably nothing to do with the aftermarket parts added onto the car?

Looking through terms of the warranty its quite vague. My understanding of it is that: A. any aftermarket parts installed are not covered under warranty, clearly and B. any aftermarket parts installed that have caused a failure on another component in the vehicle that component won't be covered.

Is there an option C. whereby a dealer can physically see a downpipe installed into the car and straight away flag it as tuned and void and refuse to honour any warranty on any aspect of the car?

The mod should only void something it relates to.

My exhaust is void because of the res delete / valve system, but they still went and fixed my gear knob where the clip came off £300~ job or something).

As Oli said. Only directly affected parts will be void. So seats warranty would be intact if you'd installed a sports exhaust. But your exhaust won't be. Audi are also likely to say anything that links to engine would be affected, say modifying your turbo as I understand it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ASRman
Is your car on PCP? If so then I would also be worried about mod-ing a car that isn’t yours and basically hired (unless planning on buying at the end with the balloon payment but people rarely do). If for instance the turbo went bag because of your mod then I’m not sure how Audi would feel about the PCP deal

As Oli said. Only directly affected parts will be void. So seats warranty would be intact if you'd installed a sports exhaust. But your exhaust won't be. Audi are also likely to say anything that links to engine would be affected, say modifying your turbo as I understand it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Makes sense and my understanding also. I have kissed my engine drivetrains and gearbox warranty goodbye the moment I tuned it. Seems there is no link in my case between a tune and a headlight blowing out so it should be covered .

Is your car on PCP? If so then I would also be worried about mod-ing a car that isn’t yours and basically hired (unless planning on buying at the end with the balloon payment but people rarely do). If for instance the turbo went bag because of your mod then I’m not sure how Audi would feel about the PCP deal

No it's not.