Modern technology in cars - and why I won't be rushing to buy a new one

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Got an old car and thinking of something new-fangled and shiny? If so, here’s a handy guide to some of the biggest new-car trends, gizmos and gadgets of the past 10 years.

Crossovers These are SUVs that can’t go off-road. They are bigger, heavier, pricier (ie more profitable), more cumbersome, slower and thirstier than the hatchbacks on which they’re typically based. And usually no more capable or versatile.

Satellite navigation Once upon a time, every car had a dog-eared A-Z in its glovebox. Now it has a fingerprint-stained sat-nav in its facia. Sat-nav is amazing, the cleverest new gizmo of the past decade or so. But here’s the rub: you don’t need car sat-nav. Just use Google Maps on your smartphone or better still the free navigation app Waze. Buy a bracket and attach your iPhone to your windscreen, like the Uber and AdLee boys do. It’s cheaper than car sat-nav and can be updated wirelessly.

Touchscreens Old cars have switches, knobs and buttons, all with a distinct feel. Once you’re familiar with your car’s controls you can use them without taking your eyes off the road. New cars, on the other hand, have giant screens in the middle of their facias that increasingly replace conventional switchgear. You always have to look at the touchscreen to use it and frequently have to scroll through time-consuming and eye-distracting menus. Despite the name, you can’t navigate through the different functions by feel. Touchscreens are addictive. Just as they turn pedestrians into zombies, so they obsess and distract drivers.

Voice activation The car’s infotainment system does what you tell it. But it rarely works.

Infotainment Formerly known as a radio. If you’re used to a couple of knobs and a few buttons, you’ll find infotainment a dreadful ergonomic step backwards. Most infotainment systems are infuriatingly unintuitive and usually the worst designed part of any car.

Bluetooth Wirelessly connects your smartphone to your car, so you can make hands-free calls and play music from your iPhone. Even if your call is totally hands-free, your concentration is on the call, not the road. The Department for Transport rightly tells you to turn off your smartphone when driving and put the damn thing away. In which case, for drivers, Bluetooth is useless.

Auto wipers They sense rain and turn on automatically. Sometimes. Designed for drivers who haven’t noticed it’s raining – perhaps they’re looking at their touchscreens? – or who find it too challenging to turn a stalk.

Smart keys or Keyless Go You don’t need to put your key in the ignition to start the engine. You simply push a starter button. OK, but you still need a ‘key’ of some sort. That will normally rattle around in the centre console or door map-pocket, taking up space. Or get lost.

Electric handbrakes Okay for automatics but awful for manuals, they replace the feelsome and ergonomically perfect handbrake lever with an electric switch. Try edging uphill into a parking space with an on-off switch to stop or slow you. You’ll miss the delicate control of a good old-fashioned handbrake.

CarPlay Apple’s attempt to turn your car into a smartphone on wheels. It even reads your text messages. A great way to distract drivers. Mind you, you can keep your eyes on the road by asking Siri. In which case you may end up in Kennington when you want to go to Kensington, and call John Legend when you want to listen to John Lennon.

Adaptive cruise control Your car automatically tracks the car in front and keeps a constant distance from it, braking and accelerating automatically. You can relax. Except you don’t.

Sports suspension Ruins the ride quality. But you’ll gain a few tenths around the ’Ring.

Space-saver spare (or no spare at all) The industry saves money by not providing a proper spare wheel. Yet there is normally still a spare-wheel well, so no space is actually saved.

Tyre pressure warning If cars don’t get flat tyres – the car industry’s excuse for not giving you a spare (see above) – why do you need these? They flash and squawk and beep and annoy. Relax. Your tyres are invariably fine.

AdBlue The car industry’s latest desperate attempt to make diesels cleaner. It’s urea (or urine) stored in a tank, injected into the car’s exhaust to reduce NOx. Diesel cars really do now take the you-know-what.

(Apologies to Gavin Green for the shameless plagiarism). :)

Reactions: Sandra, Chipmunk73, Rob Avant and 3 others
Agree.

Not all Sports suspension is a disaster , some are how it should of left the factory as the standard suspension is too soft .

Yes even the smaller Q3 has that wallowy suspension travel , it's like every marque of SUV needs Eibach .

'Back to the Future' I call it , alot of weird behaviour from these gadgets , those older simpler cars are easier going .

Skoda are good , better customer service than Audi and they sometimes take a chassis , stretch it for class leading rear leg room , get rid of the stupid electric handbrake and call it Superb .

Reactions: Ghost
I'm only in my 20s so modern tech is in my DNA I suppose...

I wouldn't want to use sat nav on my phone, it is arguably easier though as I can set it up in advance of getting in the car and I know Waze is very good. But I don't like having anything attached to my dash or glass, also I recon people get more distracted because their social media notifications will flash up and then people will be tempted to look. Generally I'm happy with the nav in my Audi now that it has traffic updates because its "online".

I am really against touch screens though, I don't want one in the car. I can use the MMI buttons and wheel very easily and change between SD media sources and whatnot without looking, on a bumpy road I don't want to be making sure I press the right button. Also, they always just seem laggier. Like I see videos of people swiping between menus and it just seems far laggier than it is on a smartphone...

Things like adaptive cruise I am for, especially if I'm driving for several hours that day, it make things a bit easier I think, but you are still constantly making sure it is behaving correctly, so it's not exactly worry free...

Reactions: Ghost
Don't Satellite navigation, Touchscreens, Bluetooth, Voice activation and CarPlay all contradict each other.:readit:

Reactions: jdp1962
Mine has pre-sense, brakes for me to avoid an accident!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

lol some crackers there, another to add is the auto dip lights which my mate was showing me last night…..wheres the fun gone in thinking why is he keep on flashing me then realise your on full beam ? The worlds gone mad (der)

Reactions: Sandra, jdp1962 and Audi Bairn
That was good, thanks.

I do accept the advancements in Technology and love a gadget like the next guy, but I do think that touchscreens are just a step too far in a car and I suspect in time they'll go again in favour of buttons and knobs. They are much more intuitive than a touchscreen and I'm sure the car industry has some very good Human Factors engineers to come up with these things, so one wonders how some of the systems can be so awkward to use. Personally I think it all needs to get a bit simpler. At work I sometimes have to use a hire car. In the old days it was just a case of getting in and going. Now you have to sit there for some time trying to figure out how to put the bloomin' radio on and to start the engine. This also reminds me of where my son works. His boss threw his keys to him and asked him to get it cleaned at the manual car wash. Thing is the car was an BMW i8 lol. He couldn't even start it.

Reactions: RS4B5 and Ghost
But a map instead of sat nav. Will never have an electric handbrake, will be dead first.

If I did have cruise or adaptive cruise I'd probably fall asleep on the way to work, close as it is.

Some of the latest cars can have their brakes and steering hacked remotely via the wifi, no thanks.

Reactions: RS4B5
Nope, forget all that lot, this is all one needs these days.....whatever happened to driving a car not operating a space shuttle.

wooden-dashboard-car-26479908.jpg

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q and RS4B5
Way to many gadgets and driver assistance functions these days , In car entertainment I can go with but driver assistance technology just makes for less driver skills in my opinion.
Diving is about being fully in control of a car and be able to perform all the function required to drive it, if you cant perform a simple function of reversing into a parking space without relying on the car to do it or cant judge braking distance and be able to control the brakes then you really should not be driving....it may sound harsh but that's my view on things these days, I don't need an onboard car computer to tell me i'm veering out of lane nor do I need it applying the brakes for me.....winge over

Reactions: Chipmunk73 and RS4B5
Got to admit rear parking sensors are not a bad bit og technology ide never let my wife park without em looking at her old car without them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q and DieselJake
On some marques they go wrong frequently , pressure washing has alot to do with this ?

The dealers want hundreds whilst aftermarket and possibly more reliable are around £20 .

I bet people said the same about assistance technology when ABS, ESP & power steering etc was introduced, now they are standard on cars. Who know what will be standard in another 10 years, but manufactures have to been seen to make cars safer.

Reactions: jimssian
Some things will be here to stay granted
Parking
Windows
Abs
Yes agree but there that much tech not everything can make the grade .. lot will be fazed out as a fad in another 20 years

If petrol goes, which I cant see it will as too many other product use it as fuel , not just cars, then i'll be making my own...lol

If petrol goes, which I cant see it will as too many other product use it as fuel , not just cars, then i'll be making my own...lol
You've put my mind at rest I'm with you making our own v power moonshine

My pee was luminescent green the other week. I bet the car would've ran on that.

That must of been the same stuff as tesco 99

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q