Mobile Speed Cameras

motorbikez

Reaction score
Whilst reading my local newspaper yesterday I noticed that the speed camera partenership in CUMBRIA have decided to site mobile camera vans anywhere they feel like it.Not just where there has been a serious accident or death.

According to Kevin Tea the brains? behind this new scam it is not ot raise money as they are funded by central govenment.

He also states 60% of people who took part in a survey supported this new ploy.No mention of where the survey was done how many people were involved or whether they were drivers or not.

So I did my own survey in the pub strangely enough 100% of respondents were against new scam.

I do my own surveys in the pub quite alot - but usually they revolve around 'how many pints before youd do that' system

motorbikez said:
Whilst reading my local newspaper yesterday I noticed that the speed camera partenership in CUMBRIA have decided to site mobile camera vans anywhere they feel like it.Not just where there has been a serious accident or death.

According to Kevin Tea the brains? behind this new scam it is not ot raise money as they are funded by central govenment.

He also states 60% of people who took part in a survey supported this new ploy.No mention of where the survey was done how many people were involved or whether they were drivers or not.

So I did my own survey in the pub strangely enough 100% of respondents were against new scam.

I live in Carlisle and the Cumbria safety camera is a load of bull****. They hide the camera in every place they put it, on Wigton Road outside the school behind a large fence to trap incoming vehicles, or they aim it at the brow of the hill to capture outgoing traffic, on Warwick road they place the camera over the bridge so the camera can see over the bridge without the incoming traffic seeing the van, this works on both sides of the bridge too. Durdar road facing a blind corner which i was conveniently caught doing 34mph, I argued that the camera was hidden and didnt increase safety at all, and you guessed it, I lost the argument.

I just cant believe they have the cheek to call it a safety camera at all, its bullsh** and they know it. And just a note to anyone that lives in Cumbria/Carlisle or is even just passing through, the big give away for the camera is the Police Bike and Volvo patrolling the road. Usually 2 Volvos when its on Warwick road.

rodenal said:
I do my own surveys in the pub quite alot - but usually they revolve around 'how many pints before youd do that' system

True enough but I bet I,d get the same result with everyone stone cold sober.

Moblie speed cameras and speed traps has cost me and my other half 12 points between us in the last 12months, driving along the same bits of road we have been using for the last 10 years on auto pilot! So I hate the damn buggers!!

I found one this evening (too late for me to slow much) between the M6 and Kendal on the dual carriage way.

Laser jammers are the only things that work I'm afraid. The 2 we have fitted to our cars have saved me and the wife 6 points each in the last 2 years, which would have cost us both our licences. Best investment we ever made.

AndyMac said:
Laser jammers are the only things that work I'm afraid. The 2 we have fitted to our cars have saved me and the wife 6 points each in the last 2 years, which would have cost us both our licences. Best investment we ever made.

Would that be possible if the police were patrolling near the camera that was setup, I heard they come up with an error when the diffuser jams the signal.

AndyMac said:

What one have you got fitted??

Target LRC100 on my A4 and the newer LT400 on the TDi.
http://www.belradardirect.co.uk/LT-400-lasertrack.htm
Yes they are illegal (unles you have an automatic garage door), but then so is speeding.
They do throw up an error, but this is quite common in everyday use. Most mobile traps are manned by civil servants not police, so they're not going to trace the error unless you are persisitently speeding passed the same trap.
Do they really want the paperwork of pulling you over examining the vehicle etc etc, or is it easier to just move on to the next no nonsense £60 speeder behind you?
As far as I'm concerned they're breaking the law by setting up traps at non blackspot but highly lucrative locations, sometimes in front of existing fixed camera's. This is an open admission that the scheme is purely money making and nothing to do with road safety, which the accident statistics over the last 5 years would seem to back up.

Perhaps we should all move to County Durham - the only county in England with no fixed speed cameras and no mobile cameras. The chief constable disagrees with them.

Interestingly, guess which county has one of the lowest fatal/serious accident rates. That'll be Durham...

AndyMac said:
Target LRC100 on my A4 and the newer LT400 on the TDi.
http://www.belradardirect.co.uk/LT-400-lasertrack.htm
Yes they are illegal (unles you have an automatic garage door), but then so is speeding.

Although I have a clean licence at the moment I have been very lucky recently and will be purchasing a laser jammer asap and yes I do have an automatic garage door.

Is any part of the jammer visible from outside the car?

Only a matchbox sized transponder located underneath the number plate:
lrc100_fitted.jpg