Mobile data

s5joe

Reaction score
Is there a way of using my mobile data for the mmi instead of using a sim card.

I looked at this when I bought my 66 plate, was not doable then. Ended up buying a pre-loaded data sim, done the job for a year then bought a 2 year one which ran out end of last year so would be interested to see if this has changed but I doubt it.

For the cost of Sims these days, easiest option is this.

Need a phone that supports RSAP. If you have an iPhone, while they support it it's not compatible with the MIB systems in our vehicles.

Why would you when Audi UK are giving out free years Audi Connect services? This covers most of the mmi, only the WiFi hotpot is paid for if you need or have it. I go via Cubic telecom as it covers all of Europe. Swiss SIM cards aren’t like EU ones as the mobile roaming isn’t covered so my options are more limited.

Reactions: NHN
Why would you when Audi UK are giving out free years Audi Connect services? This covers most of the mmi, only the WiFi hotpot is paid for if you need or have it. I go via Cubic telecom as it covers all of Europe. Swiss SIM cards aren’t like EU ones as the mobile roaming isn’t covered so my options are more limited.
There are versions of MIB, and indeed older MMI units, that have Audi connect facility but no embedded SIM or SIM slot.

Reactions: NHN and Ormesome
My S3 is connected to LTE using the Audi subscription. As I understand it, the car has a digital e-sim. I’m going to keep using it for the time it remains free in the UK.

Does anyone know if I drive to continental Europe if the data still works?

Reactions: Ormesome
My S3 is connected to LTE using the Audi subscription. As I understand it, the car has a digital e-sim. I’m going to keep using it for the time it remains free in the UK.

Does anyone know if I drive to continental Europe if the data still works?

yes it will. It’s EU wide, unless Brexit affected it!

I go all over Europe with my Q2 and Audi connect services work well as does the cubic telecom WiFi hotspot. Only thing is that some services don’t work like the parking availability. Some services abroad just aren’t hooked up to it. But traffic and weather should be fine.

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Thanks for the confirmation. My GF is French so we often drive over to France (mainly to fill up our boot with wine but also to see her family!) :-D I just need to work out how to set the sat nav so it routes you around traffic jams (unless that’s automatically enabled). Need to read the book of words I suppose!
The google earth imagery disappears at the end of the year though because Google is changing the way the images are downloaded and our MMIs aren’t capable of displaying it. Such a shame....

Thanks for the confirmation. My GF is French so we often drive over to France (mainly to fill up our boot with wine but also to see her family!) :-D I just need to work out how to set the sat nav so it routes you around traffic jams (unless that’s automatically enabled). Need to read the book of words I suppose!
The google earth imagery disappears at the end of the year though because Google is changing the way the images are downloaded and our MMIs aren’t capable of displaying it. Such a shame....

yeah it will be fine. Go into setting and change over to kms too. Traffic should be automatic, in the navigation settings then you can change to guide you automatically or to warn you, for me I prefer to be warned and then to choose the different route as sometimes the route might not be the best, especially if you know the area.

The google earth overlay is a concern. However nothing in the UK has been stated, all the sources I can find and others have quotes have applied to USA Audi. I asked my dealer here in Switzerland and they didn’t know anything about it. They contacted the main Swiss Audi representative, so Audi direct, and they knew nothing, so I wonder whether it might be a US legislation thing.... at least, I hope so!

The google earth overlay is a concern. However nothing in the UK has been stated, all the sources I can find and others have quotes have applied to USA Audi. I asked my dealer here in Switzerland and they didn’t know anything about it. They contacted the main Swiss Audi representative, so Audi direct, and they knew nothing, so I wonder whether it might be a US legislation thing.... at least, I hope so!

Oh that's cool, fingers crossed Europe is unaffected then. Chances are if the rollout of the new Google Earth software is a success in the USA, we may still end up getting it too. But until then, we can still enjoy our virtual cockpits unaffected hopefully!

Reactions: Ormesome
Pretty sure my phone is rSAP compatible since it did show up under data connection... But for the life of me, I couldn’t get it to connect, the option is greyed out with or without SIM card in there, with sim removed, I get the greyed out esim check box but no where to set it up either... What am I missing??

20200203 175054 Large
20200203 175117 Large