mmm, what's this, and why is it on my table?

newbster

Reaction score
20131118 091614

well, not the battery

this is actually good news for my little project
20131118 091411

any materials engineers want to comment on the failure mode of the rivet?

yep, too easy ;)

maybe we should call it a 0 - 0 selector fork, because thats what its doing at the moment

anybody intersted in pictures of a strip down of an 02m gearbox?, its my winter project

I have my old 02m box here stuck in 3rd which is where its fork broke several years ago

did your rivet just shear off?

yep, too easy ;)

maybe we should call it a 0 - 0 selector fork, because thats what its doing at the moment

anybody intersted in pictures of a strip down of an 02m gearbox?, its my winter project

yeah write it up, would like to see whats involved and how DIYable it is. What are you going to do with it? Just fix the selector fork or are you going to renew synchro/baulk rings & bearings?

The SQS 02M dog kit comes with strengthened shift forks FYI

SQS Racing | VW 6sp DOG-KIT 02M

http://www.sqsracing.com/files/fs_files/productdetails/200/manual-02m-q-long-boost_92.pdf

I remember asking them how much it was just for the shift fork modifications but i couldn't justify paying the price at the time my fork rivets sheared

Last edited:
my box is noisy as f**k when hot, but its a weird noise, i suspect synchro's, it only does it when rolling fwd in neutral, like down a small incline, clutch in, still noisy, push the stick towards any gear, it goes away, been doing it since i bought the car (2 yeras) so its not terminal (yet)

the oil was not twilight stylee (sparkly) or dirty, so i ruled out bearings machinging the casing.

as a fun project i bought one of the many 1st/2nd gear fail to select boxes off ebay

its a bit of a punt but so far look good

oil is clear,

input shaft and diff are good and solid, still plenty of preload

pulled the shift tower over the w/e, found a nice clean break on the rivit and the selector sitting in the bottom of the box

a couple of slight bruises where it had contacted a gear wheel, but clearly had not been digested by the gears

the gears i can see look good.

i will have a good look when i split the box.

i hope to do something regarding measuring preload that should help others ,and also on getting the box out

most guides are a bit blue peter ish, - undo all the bolts and heres one we did ealier!

i can see what bolts to undo, its the actual moving the box around that missing.

i have a trolley jack and will make up an adapter in wood to balance the box on the jack

i was thinking about making an engine beam, but have seen a pretty good one on fleabay for about 50

anywasy install will not happen till the spring.

smf???

Reactions: Alex C and s3dave
cheers tufty

i have that link, i also have found a link to a workshop manual for the 02M

I often forget how awesome the intrewebs is,
when i was young ( think real mini's) finding this kind of info just was not an option.

Gearbox stuff is thin on the ground tbh... bit of a black art too it seems...

Need to strip my box and replace the the diff bearings plus do the selector fork mods... I also have a crunchy 1st > 2nd change which is syncro/baulk rings... expensive if the syncro unit is fecked but I am looking at getting a low mileage 02M and swapping internals over... 'easy enough' to do in principle but there are differing ratios to consider... doing a little research at the moment to see whats what

<tuffty/>

after looking at the fork for a while, i have a theory about why these are breaking, the clue is in the witness marks on the first photo

and its not good news, i had assumed it was driver abuse, too many "fast & furous" style changes

but the reported failures are from everywhere, not just the hooliogans

need to strip out teh the shift tower again

should take 2 minutes this time