Mmi working but no sound

Vincent

Reaction score
First time posting on the forum, I went into my car the other day and turned the mmi on and had no sound from the speakers, the only time there is sound is with the parking sensors but nothing else works. Anyone got any idea what to do cars now out of warranty with the Audi sound system and navigation plus?

Hello and welcome to ASN.

Have you tried an MMI reset ?, if your pre face lift this is how it's done :-

Reactions: Jassyo06, batch and Sandra
Went for a drive there reset it several times with no luck

Welcome to audi-sport.net Vincent. Good you got signed in ok. Hope you get your MMI working. I'm sure the guys will help you out. We are all friendly and helpful. :)

Daft question, you haven't got it muted from the centre console volume control?? Welcome along.

Standard Sound, Audi Sound or B&O Sound system?

If standard or Audi then you could have an issue with your MMI units internal amp. Last person I knew who had this needed a new board. If B&O then it could be the same issue or a problem with the external amp (under passenger seat) or the connections between said amp and the MMI unit.

Unfortunately it's not muted And the upgraded Audi system with the sub not B&O i have the navigation plus system with the 7" screen

So you have MMI High / Techpack with the Audi Sound System (***). Sounds like you might have the same issue that one of my customers did. The MMI unit is basically an nVidia PC and he needed to have his main board changed out in order to resolve his complete loss of sound. He went via a 3rd party as his car was bought used and out of warranty. I believe it cost him around £250 to fix.

Reactions: richinsoton
Will need to look into that, i take your referring to the module in the glovebox?

Will need to look into that, i take your referring to the module in the glovebox?
Yup, the unit in the glovebox is the "brains" of the MMI system and in your case the Amp also. The screen and controls are literally just that, a display and an input device.

Reactions: richinsoton
Hey Guys - Sorry to bring up old post but I'm having the exact same problem with a pre-facelift S3. With me the issue is totally intermittent - i stopped for fuel one day and suddenly no sound - then the next day i'll get in the car and its all working fine - then i'll stop and again no sound. Seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Vincent did you manage to get to the bottom of your problem? I've got the car booked in at a dealer but pretty sure they will be taking me to the cleaners with this type of thing.

Reactions: Saqib Barlas
Yes and no, I had to end up purchasing a second hand unit from Germany. Worked great for 3 months then started experiencing crackling from my speakers (As of last week) which I think is also another fault with the unit and unrelated to the speakers. Previously before I had no sound the rear speakers would crackle occasionally, which after the unit was replaced no work perfectly. Unfortunately this one has developed a crackle on the centre speaker. The unit had a warranty so will hopefully pan out ok. If I ever buy another A3 hopefully that experience will be better.

Reactions: Saqib Barlas
Hi,

Not sure if this question has been resolved. I had the issue occur after Audi UK replaced a faulty head-light xenon bulb (costing around £380 with them having to remove the front bumper). The problem is that the MMI works fine, it's very intermittent where the sound doesn't come on at all (an no the mute is not on - volume indicator works fine - just no sound) . On the rare occasion sound comes through -it's clear and fine , but after 10 mins of driving the sound will suddenly stop - so I am only assuming it's something that is overheating. I have the Audi speaker system 7 inch MMI tech pack (like @Vincent ) - nothing like the Bose or the B&O options. Parking sensor sound always comes through,

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have it booked for diagnosis at Audi at the end of March 2018 (charge of about £60). Any help / advice before then will be appreciated. @JackAnc - did you have any luck after the dealer had a look ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Not sure if this question has been resolved. I had the issue occur after Audi UK replaced a faulty head-light xenon bulb (costing around £380 with them having to remove the front bumper). The problem is that the MMI works fine, it's very intermittent where the sound doesn't come on at all (an no the mute is not on - volume indicator works fine - just no sound) . On the rare occasion sound comes through -it's clear and fine , but after 10 mins of driving the sound will suddenly stop - so I am only assuming it's something that is overheating. I have the Audi speaker system 7 inch MMI tech pack (like @Vincent ) - nothing like the Bose or the B&O options. Parking sensor sound always comes through,

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have it booked for diagnosis at Audi at the end of March 2018 (charge of about £60). Any help / advice before then will be appreciated. @JackAnc - did you have any luck after the dealer had a look ?
Every instance of this I have seen, where the speaker system is not B&O, has ended up being an issue with the MMI main board.

Every instance of this I have seen, where the speaker system is not B&O, has ended up being an issue with the MMI main board.

Thanks for the info @DJAlix . Any ideas on the cost of the part and replacement at an Audi UK garage ?

Thanks for the info @DJAlix . Any ideas on the cost of the part and replacement at an Audi UK garage ?
Audi will not fix at component level so will quote you between £1000 to £1800 for a replacement new unit. A 3rd party who can fix at component level will ask between £150 and £250. Better to find the same unit on eBay and then come to an authorised 3rd party like myself to replace and have the component protection removed.

Reactions: -Ju- and TYb
Interestingly I had this happen to me but just the once a couple of months or so ago.
I'd caught some scrote on cctv prowling around the house so I took a trip down to my local argos to get a stoplock pro incase they came back.
All the way there I had no sound at all. It had never happened before and I was convinced they'd managed to tamper with the car somehow!
After switch off it worked fine and has never done it since, no vcds errors either.
The car has B&O and is out of warranty soon, something else to worry myself over then lol

I have exactly the same problem everyone has described here. Does anyone know of a company that will source and swap out the MMI unit?
If not, what information do I need to make sure I buy the right thing on eBay?

Just as a point of interest, by sound starts working occasionally on VERY cold mornings. Like the temperature is resetting something. It will work all day long so long as I don't switch the ignition off!

I have exactly the same problem everyone has described here. Does anyone know of a company that will source and swap out the MMI unit?
If not, what information do I need to make sure I buy the right thing on eBay?

Just as a point of interest, by sound starts working occasionally on VERY cold mornings. Like the temperature is resetting something. It will work all day long so long as I don't switch the ignition off!
If you are in, around or can get to north London I can assist with the replacement.

Reactions: loydspeed
Ok.

This is exactly the same as my issue. Seems to be on A3s with the Audi speaker system. Its the main contol unit inside the glove box that Audi will replace at a cost of £2,500 ! Yes that is 2.5k. The motherboard in the unit is faulty and costs about £300 on ebay (i’ve read in a few threads).

I believe it’s a known fault with them. This happened to me right after they replaced the left main headlight ( the xenon HID bulb was blown). They fiddled around with the car for 3 days to fix that coming back to me with a quote of £550 saying the HID unit was faulty , but when I picked up the car they said it was just the bulb (which cost £350 to replace). All by a genuine Audi dealer.

I am currently in a dispute with Audi head office about this.

I have ended up buying a bluetooth speaker and use that to run music off my phone. Not ideal, but better than spending 2.5k!

I have been severely disappointed by Audi on the way they charge for issues which are faults that clearly quite a few people are reporting. This shouldn’t happen on German car manufacturer.

Reactions: Fatbloke
Sounds like a dry solder joint somewhere or a burst/blown capacitor. Trying to figure out where on the motherboard would be the challenge.

Ok.

I believe it’s a known fault with them. This happened to me right after they replaced the left main headlight ( the xenon HID bulb was blown). They fiddled around with the car for 3 days to fix that coming back to me with a quote of £550 saying the HID unit was faulty , but when I picked up the car they said it was just the bulb (which cost £350 to replace). All by a genuine Audi dealer.

You had your pants pulled down over the replacement Xenon bulb. My Audi dealer also quoted around the same money. I sourced a pair of xenon bulbs for £111 which are brighter than the originals and got my independent garage to install ( Bumper off)both bulbs. Total cost £211.

You had your pants pulled down over the replacement Xenon bulb. My Audi dealer also quoted around the same money. I sourced a pair of xenon bulbs for £111 which are brighter than the originals and got my independent garage to install ( Bumper off)both bulbs. Total cost £211.

I managed to get Honda to replace a pair of xenon bulbs on a 7 year old car under warranty.
Xenons and leds are designed to outlive the car so shouldn’t need replaced. Well at least that was my argument when they wanted £200 for a bulb. The warranty guy comes out and says they have an unofficial warranty on xenons and told me to challenge this with HUK and within an hour a pair of bulbs were ordered and fitted after.

Hello guys,

Same problem regarding the sound... it started with little cracking noises, even occasionally, but then it became so common until one day there was no sound anymore.

Spoke with an Audi dealer and told me 2200€ plus activation plus manpower works, so it was prohibited...

Just called a friend who is really good with electronics and he could repair the MMI mother board welding some cables. After that the sound was perfect :)

It was 2 years ago, and now I’m experience somedays the same - it has started to appear again... :(

Hello guys,

Same problem regarding the sound... it started with little cracking noises, even occasionally, but then it became so common until one day there was no sound anymore.

Spoke with an Audi dealer and told me 2200€ plus activation plus manpower works, so it was prohibited...

Just called a friend who is really good with electronics and he could repair the MMI mother board welding some cables. After that the sound was perfect :)

It was 2 years ago, and now I’m experience somedays the same - it has started to appear again... :(

You need to find out what your mate did.
Could make a fortune repairing the mmi logic boards.
Does sound like a dry solder joint somewhere. I’m pretty handy with a soldering iron, just repaired my sons lightsaber :p

Reactions: Phutters
I’m pretty handy with a soldering iron, just repaired my sons lightsaber :p
I got one for my lad too, but decided to keep it for myself.

Really useful around the garden. You just have to be careful when it's very dry.

Just reading this as my A6 2008 has suddenly lost the radio. All other functions are working, CD, telephone, navigation.

I was driving through a busy town centre, so no bumps or cornering to dislodge anything. The radio went silent. I thought it was the radio station so after a few seconds went to switch and realised no signal. I know the signal is being received as the navigation is receiving live radio data. I have tried the 3 button reset about 5 times. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

Just reading this as my A6 2008 has suddenly lost the radio. All other functions are working, CD, telephone, navigation.

I was driving through a busy town centre, so no bumps or cornering to dislodge anything. The radio went silent. I thought it was the radio station so after a few seconds went to switch and realised no signal. I know the signal is being received as the navigation is receiving live radio data. I have tried the 3 button reset about 5 times. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Alan
Common issue with these vehicles, with the causes normally being faulty unit in the rear of the car (amp or DAB unit) or a water damaged unit in the rear. You will need a diagnostic scan in order to bottom out whats going on.

My 2013 A3 having the exact same issues. Just being quoted £2800 from Audi for a new f5 control unit. Anyone have any ideas of a cheaper option?

My 2013 A3 having the exact same issues. Just being quoted £2800 from Audi for a new f5 control unit. Anyone have any ideas of a cheaper option?
Find a used unit on eBay with the exact same part number, then come see an authorised 3rd party like myself in order to have it coded :)

Find a used unit on eBay with the exact same part number, then come see an authorised 3rd party like myself in order to have it coded :)

Hi thanks for the reply, where are you based? And do you have any idea of the part number I need? Sorry - a bit of a novice

Hello guys,

Has yours gone again now?

Ok.

This is exactly the same as my issue. Seems to be on A3s with the Audi speaker system. Its the main contol unit inside the glove box that Audi will replace at a cost of £2,500 ! Yes that is 2.5k. The motherboard in the unit is faulty and costs about £300 on ebay (i’ve read in a few threads).

I have ended up buying a bluetooth speaker and use that to run music off my phone. Not ideal, but better than spending 2.5k!

I have been severely disappointed by Audi on the way they charge for issues which are faults that clearly quite a few people are reporting. This shouldn’t happen on German car manufacturer.

How have you been getting on with your dispute with Audi? I am too looking at doing this as I've not heard of any head unit failing on any car this often.

Same problem with sound. It started with little cracking noises, first occasionally, but then one day there was no sound anymore.
I do a little research and high propably an amp is broken.
If you have any good electronic in your city you can take unit into him and he should fix it.

He have to improve soldering on integrated circuits (chips) in the amp, which is located on the right side of the unit under the radiator with fan.
If this does not help, then he need to replace the chips with new ones.
There are 2 NXP integrated circuits in my unit:
TDF8597TH / N1 - hard to buy 1 pcs in Poland
TDF8530TH / N1

In my case, fixing soldering helps just for a moment, so i have to buy a new chips.
I also read that N1 was replaced with N2. I can't buy N1 so bought N2, currently my unit is under repair so i wait for effects.

Attachments

• part000001.jpg
    part000001.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,915