MMI Users

GDM

Reaction score
So picked my my car on Monday - A3 Edition.
When I get in I need to log in as a user which must have been set up by the dealer (I had to download the app!)
So the question is can I set up a user for my wife? And if so how?
Also the reason I want to is so that when we get in the car it show different dashboard display. She likes the standard one and I like the S Performance one. Does it work like this if you have different users? What else would be different?

Sorry for questions but hoping someone can help here! Thanks in advance

So picked my my car on Monday - A3 Edition.
When I get in I need to log in as a user which must have been set up by the dealer (I had to download the app!)
So the question is can I set up a user for my wife? And if so how?
Also the reason I want to is so that when we get in the car it show different dashboard display. She likes the standard one and I like the S Performance one. Does it work like this if you have different users? What else would be different?

Sorry for questions but hoping someone can help here! Thanks in advance
I cannot tell you how to set up another user as I asked the dealer to do this before I picked up the car but as far as different users this one I can answer.
it’s all down to the last user how is logged on when you lock the car. If each of you have your own key and are logged into the HMI. It will remember that user and their settings the next time that key unlocks the car. As well as the dash it remembers the heating settings and the audio settings including radio stations etc.
the only draw back is that logs in using the internet connection so a few people have complained on here about not been able to log in due to that.

Mine doesn’t swap users if I use the spare key, I thought it only changes users via the log in on the mmi. Personally I’d try and avoid keep changing users as it users the data connection as mentioned above and can be very troublesome.

Mine doesn’t swap users if I use the spare key, I thought it only changes users via the log in on the mmi. Personally I’d try and avoid keep changing users as it users the data connection as mentioned above and can be very troublesome.
It does use the connection to log you in but the key remembers the person last logged in with that key. So 2 keys 2 separate log ins. I know there has been a lot of issues down to connection problems on here but my car has been ok.

Ok so nice and simple in the end
Just set my wife up as local users (she has no need for the app)
Now when I log in it has all my display, radio stations, temperature and loads of other stuff. When my wife logs in has all her stuff. It remembers what each users was last set too which is cool.
Nothing to do with keys at all I used my key and could switch to either user
Thx for replies as exactly what I needed

Reactions: AdamInKent and STmichael
Yes you can change the user via the MMI but my point is that it remembers who was last logged in when you lock the car so if you use 2 keys then effectively you have 2 different logins so no need to change them over in the MMI.

Reactions: GDM and AdamInKent
My car seems to want to ask what user every time I get in even though there are no other users set up! Is this normal? can this be hidden as it’s something I didn’t expect to do every time I get in, also sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds to log in so irritating.
company car so only one key but definitely nothing else set up on it
S-Line Comfort and sound pack

My car seems to want to ask what user every time I get in even though there are no other users set up! Is this normal? can this be hidden as it’s something I didn’t expect to do every time I get in, also sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds to log in so irritating.
I originally found this annoying too. However, whilst the car asks, you don’t have to select a new user each time. You can just press the home icon or Cancel (I think) or just drive off, letting the request time out, and the MMI will continue with the last selected user.

Reactions: helicopter_red
This happens to me also, not sure why. It never happened on previous q3 mmi. Rather annoying. I am the only user.

I originally found this annoying too. However, whilst the car asks, you don’t have to select a new user each time. You can just press the home icon or Cancel (I think) or just drive off, letting the request time out, and the MMI will continue with the last selected user.
Like Adam says. Just let it time out!