MMI Updates

Spiedhermonkey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I went into MMI Setup/settings last night and it told me there was an update available. I went into it & it asked me to choose the source, so I chose online update and I then had to tick the countries from a list of all European countries. So I only chose England North/Ireland and England South. (Presumably Scotland & Wales are classed as England North).

Should I have selected all available countries? Did I do the right thing? I'm assuming it was for Maps, but it didn't say that.

Cheers.

Oh right, thanks for clarifying. So I can download all the countries with no issue. Is that what I should download onto SD Card & then upload to the car from SD then?

That is the quickest way, the entire update is almost 15GB in size.

I went into myaudi.com and copied the update to an SD card, however when I put the card into the car and went to updated, the SD Card sources were both greyed out. The car recognised that the card was in, as when I went to media, it tried to read the card and said the content wasn't supported (as it wasn't music obviously).

Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

I went into myaudi.com and copied the update to an SD card, however when I put the card into the car and went to updated, the SD Card sources were both greyed out. The car recognised that the card was in, as when I went to media, it tried to read the card and said the content wasn't supported (as it wasn't music obviously).

Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

Did you format on a Mac?

I tried an update recently and even though I formatted to fat32 in a Canon and then transferred files on my Mac the sd contents were still greyed out so it might be a PC only exercise

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey
Did you format the SD card with fat32? Also are the updates at the root level.

I think the files need to be in the root directory of the SD card and not in a folder

I did a quick format on a Windows Laptop, which I've done before & checked it was fat32.

Not sure it was saved to root level - how do you ensure it is done as a root folder?

I'll check that then. I didn't create a folder, I just assigned the SD card as the destination.

Hi, open your SD card and there should be 2 folders and 3 files on it, nothing else.

Out of interest if you go into Mib2/NavDB/IrelandGreatBritainNorth_eu/0/default and open your content.pkg file with a text editor is your
creationTime 2017-06-22 ?
Seems odd to me that it is 1 year old

Hi Paul,

Where did you see that it was a year old? Are you replying to the right thread?

I've put the SD Card back in the laptop and following the download he other day, the only file on it is a WMPInfo file, which contains only a .XML file when I open it.

I didn't create a folder on the SD Card when I downloaded it, so I assume it was saved to the root directory. I have to save firmware updates to USB Sticks for work & it usually works the way I did it to the SD Card this time.

Any further advice?

hey Spied, I just looked back at your OP and realised you did it OTA for UK. Then from the web and through MyAudi for the rest. am i right ?
The latter is how i did mine, For the complete package you will need a SDcard (or microSD card with an adapter) of 32GB size. and once you have selected complete package from myaudi a small file is downloaded ( a .jnlp i think) just double klik that it opens a java applet, select your SDcard as the target. it will do it's thing which seems to take hours and when finished your SDcard should look like this
Untitled

if you follow what i said earlier (Mib2/NavDB/IrelandGreatBritainNorth_eu/0/default) and use notepad++ to open the content.pkg file, it's in there i found the date and timestamps for map

Think you've just answered my question then. I was using a 16GB SD Card, as I was under the impression that it was a 15GB update. Strange though that the update ran to completion.

I'll try to run it again (when I have a few hours free) & see if it works, but if not, I'll have to order a 32GB SD Card & try yet again

My update was 15.5GB bud, if that helps. mind you there is nothing stoping you from downloading it to a folder on your pc and copy the contents of that folder to the root of a new SDcard when yo get it

Yeah, I'll try that method tomorrow then - if I do it now, I'll have to get up for work before it's finished. Cheers for all the help Paul, appreciate the help mate.

Nah, I've just reformatted the SD Card just now, only to see that although it's a 16GB card, it only has 14.8GB of capacity. That must be why only the XML file actually saved, I guess. Strange that it didn't bring up a message saying there was insufficient space on the card though.

I've just ordered a 32GB card from Amazon which will arrive Thursday. So I'll try again in a couple of days.

Reactions: Stokka
Next map update will be around December time, only 2 updates per year, and you only get 5 free updates after that you have to start paying.

Hi B5, all i did there was convey what the dealership told me on Tuesday , Jan and July, who knows, not even them probably lol, car is going in on Monday to have a couple of things looked at and a health check, I will try and find out from different people in there. I've already pointed out that the UK map hasn't been updated either partly or fully since 2017 ( May i think) with the dealer, you can see what I will be trying for if the last update i can get is outside of the 3 years :D

Dealers tend to have a case of ar$e & elbow when it comes to the technology in the car...:D

Audi don't produce the maps they are purchased form a third party company, so they are likely to be out of date by 6/12 months as they have to get all the European countries, then produce an update disk which will then need to be tested before it's rolled out, so you will never get a true up to date maps when you do bulk updates like Audi do.

The next update is going to be around December so 6 months from now. Expect to pay around the £150+VAT mark when you are out of subscription

Reactions: Stokka
I'm not the most knowledgeable on here as I'm quite new to the C7 model myself, but I'm sure it would help those more knowledgeable folk to help you if you told us if you had the hard drive or SD Card based sat nav (do you have the Technology Pack?).

Hi i do not jve the tech pack nd it is sd card based

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi i do not jve the tech pack nd it is sd card based

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Then only the dealer can update it. If you have the MMI Plus (harddisk version) then you could update the satnav and mmi software.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Don't go aftermarket / hacked software!

I've done an aftermarket update before (it was from eBay, but advertised as genuine and even had SD cards labelled up to look real) - it was only a fake once the software was running and by then it was too late to stop it: I let the software run its course and it bricked the unit and put it into a permanent bootloop that bricked the battery too.

I ended having to remove the whole MMI unit and post it to a repairer - it cost me about 2 weeks and £250 in the end to get them to get the MMI unit operational.

Never again.

Ironically, considering how much the MMI Touch/Connect upgrade cost at the time, I don't miss the expired traffic info at all as Waze is a LOT better than even the full online Audi traffic info, although I might look to update the maps at some point.... I just can't believe Audi charge £55k for a car and then have the cheek to continue to charge every couple of years for such a third-rate service when the free version is better.