MMI updates should be covered by warranty

Zygote

Reaction score
I am currently waiting for my Audi dealer to come back to me and give me some information on how to update my MMI firmware. I know it involves delivering the car to the dealer and have them install it, but I am not sure whether its gonna cost me and if so how much.

However, I just realized that it would seem reasonable to argue that MMI software updates should be covered by the warranty.

If something is wrong with your speakers, lights or buttons, it will be fixed under warranty unless you are to blame for the damage of course. During my first year with my A3 I have experienced a number of bugs with the MMI software ranging from minor annoyances to significant malfunctions. Ill list a few

* Status display in the dash indicating Im listening to DAB radio when Im streaming bluetooth music
* When streaming over bluetooth, track information shows up some times, other times it just says "Unknown"
* Track progress bar very unreliable, especially when streaming music over bluetooth (seeing a pattern here?)
* Sometimes when a call comes in over bluetooth while Im listening to music, the music will continue playing "in" the call, making the call quite the disturbing experience. Especially for the caller as the music playing tends to fall into the heavy metal category
* The audio adjustment for when you put the car in reverse the parking sensors come on dont always work as you expect it to.

There are more bugs as well. I know there are newer MMI firmware versions out now, and is it not reasonable to have it installed free of charge?

A bug in the MMI should be equivalent to a production issue on a knob or button.

Would appreciate some input before I go head to head with my dealer :)

Thanks

Why would you think that an update to the MMI software isn't covered by warranty FOC in the warranty period?

Why would you think that an update to the MMI software isn't covered by warranty FOC in the warranty period?

Good question, and I guess I should wait for my dealer to get back to me, but so far, the indications Ive received when Ive asked is that its not covered. Are you saying that it is though?

If the unit is exhibiting fault(s) or indications of not working properly, and the car is within the 3 year warranty period, then all measures (including a software update) should be carried out to rectify the problems.

However - most of the time, the advice to carry out a software update is given by Audi UK Technical, when the dealer Master Tech rings them up or emails them for the next steps.

Sounds like you need a new or better dealer with a better Service Dept.

And the reasons why software updates are not applied as a matter of course to every car that comes in:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/what-do-we-know-about-the-mmi-in-the-a3.202691/#post-2270863