MMI Update Software

Mantio

Reaction score
Hi

I need to get my MMI firmware and maps updated as they're really out of date and also the DAB keepings cutting in and out constantly which, having read around, might be partly down to the MMI firmware needing an update.

I just wondered if anyone has used the site below to buy an updated MMI file and then installed it?

https://upgrademyaudi.net/shop/

Or any other recommendations of where to get one without having to chop my left arm off and take it to Audi to be done.

Thanks in advance

Check out a5oc.com they have a couple of threads going there with instructions and links to everything you need for free.

I have done both MMI 3G basic and high using the links and instructions from A5oc, easy enough to do.

Wicked. Thanks both. Very helpful. Will go and check this out.

Looking through the instructions am i right in thinking if you do it right you shouldn't get any error messages and then need a VCDS thing to clear them?

It reads that way from what i can tell. Obviously there is always the chance of an error but the process seems fairly straight forward and i have the B+O sound system so don't need to separate the sound part out.

I take it i just need the stock firmware update version not the modified one? Or does that not make a difference and the modified just adds the green menu part to it?

You need the modified firm ware.
If you update the sound system it will go in to protection mode (sound down passenger side)
This is for Bose or B&O.
You won't need vcds

I have B&O just ran through each of the updates with no issues at all, sound all working fine

You can update with B&O the issue relates to Bose systems.

So does the firmware actually update the amp?
I didn't do it on my A1 with Bose so skipped it and was advised not to on my B&O amp

The firmware updates more than just the MMI unit for example TV tuner and sound amplifier. I have updated my B&O amp with K942 firmware with no issues as have others. It’s your choice, if you don’t want to update it, just exclude it from the update.

Reactions: Booboo
I'm running K942 firmware -the settings. I'll include it if there is another update.

This is on upgrade my Audi.net however.

Caution: If your car is equipped with BOSE (8RQ or 8RY) or BANG & OLUFSEN sound system and don’t know how to recode it… we recommend that you unselect it from list (using User- Defined Mode) before update.

Hi :sm4:,

I'm really struggling to understand how to update to 2020 maps on my 2015 Allroad ?? :sadlike:

Can anyone be @rsed to explain it in simple terms, without saying something like "read all 167 pages of the A5OC thread" ?? They've got links here, there, and every ****** where, but which one is the correct one for the 2020 maps, and which link do I need to upgrade the firmware ??

This is what I'm currently running:

Audi A4 Allroad current firmware

Cheers,
Graeme.

The manual on the front page from the A5oc link is good. I followed that and did it fine download the manual and read it a few times. Then as your doing it it'll be come clearer as you progress

Read and understand the PDF, if it seems like to much from reading the instuctions, you might want to consider getting someone to come and help you. I found the links for the map were dead on A5oc, but managed to get it from a GPS forum.

Things to bear in mind;

You can brick your MMI but unlikely if you follow the instructions.
Maps are about 36GB but you can only use a 32GB card, so a few files get deleted to make it fit, not all SD cards are created equal, some only format to 29ishGB others 31GB.
Some people say leave ignition on, I didn't bother, start update, pull the key, MMI will stay running.
You will have a permanent fault on the MMI when scanned, as it hasn't been updated by Audi.

For MMI3G High (HNav...)
Do not copy the folders
pkgdb/ LIT3GP, LIT3GP2, LIT3GP3, LIT3GP4

For MMI3GP (HN+...)
Do not copy the folders
pkgdb/ LIT, LIT2, LIT3

Thanks for the replies......will have a good look at it tomorrow :icon thumright:

Still absolute double dutch to me at the moment :sadlike:

Do I need the green menu enabled to do the firmware updates and maps installation, and if so, does that mean I need VCDS ??

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Apparently you can run a script to get the green menu, having said that I'm not sure how to upload this script lol. I've got a Bose sound system (I think, as I don't have B&O - I think there are only two??) and I'm not sure whether to update or not, some issue with component protection.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Apparently you can run a script to get the green menu, having said that I'm not sure how to upload this script lol. I've got a Bose sound system (I think, as I don't have B&O - I think there are only two??) and I'm not sure whether to update or not, some issue with component protection.

Yeah, I've found the script and downloaded that. Still trying to get my head round everything else before I take the plunge !! :sadlike:

Reactions: HertS3
I'm thinking of designing and building my own nuclear power station.......it would be a more simple process to understand and quicker to do than downloading 2020 maps !! :crying:

Spent nearly ALL yesterday downloading what appears to be the latest zip version of 2020 maps, and after multiple failed downloads I finally got it finished at 11pm. And it looks like it's going to take most of the day to extract those files :tired:

LOL I feel you. I got the 2019 maps, took a couple of hours to download, but only got Macs at home so I need to grab my work PC to extract everything

Reactions: Tiger-G
LOL I feel you. I got the 2019 maps, took a couple of hours to download, but only got Macs at home so I need to grab my work PC to extract everything

Good luck mate.......I might wait until you've cracked it, then have another go myself :sm4:

Good luck mate.......I might wait until you've cracked it, then have another go myself :sm4:
LOL I was hoping you'd take the plunge first!! I'll try the firmware update for MMI, then if I'm brave enough the maps...

It really isn't that hard. The pdf manual may look like gobbledy gook but when you're actually doing it it isn't hard.

There are about 3 folders you can remove from the download that you don't need ( If you're downloading via torrent deselect these before download)
The MMi update takes about 1/2 an hour. The map update takes nearly 2.

What's all the business with the green menu? Do you need it? How do you run the script to get it?

Do you have Bose if you don't have B&O? The manual talks about BRQ/BRY or something, I don't have those codes in my car build.

Yes you need to get in the green engineering menu.
Just run the modified firmware if you are unsure.
You either have Audi sound system. Bang and Olufsen or Bose. If your speaker surrounds have nothing on them you have Audi system

Oh ok, so I can update my sound system without worrying, though doesn't the modified firmware say no sound updates?

If you have audi system yes untouched firmware. If you are unsure in anyway use the modified.
The modified firmware will enable the green menu

Don't I need the modified one though for the green menu? I don't have VCDS though my mechanic friend does

It is the easiest way to activate it. The other way is to download the script on to a SD card.

I used the modded firmware.

It really isn't that hard. The pdf manual may look like gobbledy gook but when you're actually doing it it isn't hard.

Ha,ha......I would say a full day to try and download the latest maps for free (6.30.1 8R0060884GS), with multiple failed downloads after over an hour of trying on each of the six zip files from a so called reliable source, then not being able to extract those files fully today is hard, and has been a complete waste of time :crying:.

It might be relatively easy once you have everything in place ready to put them on the car, but to get to that stage is a right royal pain in the @ss !! :friendly wink:

Having said that.....I do appreciate your help Boundy & Booboo, both on here and in pm's :icon thumright:

Last edited:
I can PM you a link to the '19 maps in a torrent, simple and took me 2 hours to download

I can PM you a link to the '19 maps in a torrent, simple and took me 2 hours to download

Thanks, I was wanting to get the latest 2020 maps, but that is proving difficult so might have to go with the 2019. I can't see there being that many new roads been built between 2019 and 2020 !! :friendly wink:

I have read that you can disconnect the optical line from the amp, and create a loop to avoid the sound system going into protection mode?
I also only have a Mac at home, anyone able to download the disks and send to me? (I'll obviously cover any out of pocket expense)

Hi mate,

I've bought off eBay the 2020 maps update. The guy send me the links with firmware update, maps update and activator.
I've payed 25 pounds (using my own 32GB SD Card) and he sent me the download links.
Everything went smooth. Took like almost a day to set everything up.

Let me know if you want more details about this.

Cheers,
Catalin

Reactions: michael18mcc