MMI update revision notes

Syncros

Reactive Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like this but would anyone happen to know if there's a list of mmi revisions out there in the wild somewhere that includes a list of any feature additions/bugfixes? Just interested to know whether there's an ultimate refined recommended revision everyone should be running in an ideal world as i understand Audi don't generally patch vehicle mmi's unless there's an issue it could fix.

Purely academic of course :readit:

I've had the software in my car updated to fix the subwoofer adjustment being missing. Audi's attitude was very much we won't do anything till you complain and then only when enough of you complain. The same with the updated battery controller software, they cost me weeks without my car because they would not preemptively update the software at service intervals at the very least.

My car is a late 2016 production MY17 A3 e-tron with the High ? MMI with B&O (built in sim apple CarPlay etc)

Before Subwoofer update SW Ver. 0679
After Subwoofer update SW Ver. 1168

I've never seen anything like this but would anyone happen to know if there's a list of mmi revisions out there in the wild somewhere that includes a list of any feature additions/bugfixes? Just interested to know whether there's an ultimate refined recommended revision everyone should be running in an ideal world as i understand Audi don't generally patch vehicle mmi's unless there's an issue it could fix.

Purely academic of course :readit:
About month ago I contacted Audi germany (had to write all in german language) and advised them to implement WiFi in their vehicles to just simply and easily update our vehicles .. the guy said he will pass my idea to RnD .. I told hem please tell them this supposed to be long time ago implemented ..

I've had the software in my car updated to fix the subwoofer adjustment being missing. Audi's attitude was very much we won't do anything till you complain and then only when enough of you complain. The same with the updated battery controller software, they cost me weeks without my car because they would not preemptively update the software at service intervals at the very least.

My car is a late 2016 production MY17 A3 e-tron with the High ? MMI with B&O (built in sim apple CarPlay etc)

Before Subwoofer update SW Ver. 0679
After Subwoofer update SW Ver. 1168

That's nuts. I do feel Audi is behind the times with their software, I don't understand why in this day and age software updates aren't compulsory as if an update been released it's to address a problem or improve upon the performance of a system, why that wouldn't be mandated as part of the service schedule is baffling

About month ago I contacted Audi germany (had to write all in german language) and advised them to implement WiFi in their vehicles to just simply and easily update our vehicles .. the guy said he will pass my idea to RnD .. I told hem please tell them this supposed to be long time ago implemented ..

The software on the car updating in the background over the air? Some other manufactures do it, as I said above, I feel Audi hasn't placed much emphasis around innovating their user interface software, they're obviously not quite there yet with over the air updating. How the 8v's don't have Android Auto and Carplay is bananas imo for such a 'cutting edge' company

Audi don't release any documentation on software versions except what is in the TPI (which is very little) and the TPI information is not publicly released. Neither is a list of all the software versions.

Audi view on software updates is, if it's not broken then don't fix it! So they won't actively update any of the software on the cars be it ECU's or MMI systems. Tech pack cars have Wifi & 3G/4G data access so it's not like they cannot do this at present (as they provide 3 year over the air map updates for tech pack cars), they are just not interested in making sure peoples MMI system has the latest software.

The 8V model does have AA & CP it's just an option you have to buy, and we all know German manufactures love the options list.

That's nuts. I do feel Audi is behind the times with their software, I don't understand why in this day and age software updates aren't compulsory as if an update been released it's to address a problem or improve upon the performance of a system, why that wouldn't be mandated as part of the service schedule is baffling

The software on the car updating in the background over the air? Some other manufactures do it, as I said above, I feel Audi hasn't placed much emphasis around innovating their user interface software, they're obviously not quite there yet with over the air updating. How the 8v's don't have Android Auto and Carplay is bananas imo for such a 'cutting edge' company
They didn't do it probably because of the money..

Audi don't release any documentation on software versions except what is in the TPI (which is very little) and the TPI information is not publicly released. Neither is a list of all the software versions.

Audi view on software updates is, if it's not broken then don't fix it! So they won't actively update any of the software on the cars be it ECU's or MMI systems. Tech pack cars have Wifi & 3G/4G data access so it's not like they cannot do this at present (as they provide 3 year over the air map updates for tech pack cars), they are just not interested in making sure peoples MMI system has the latest software.

The 8V model does have AA & CP it's just an option you have to buy, and we all know German manufactures love the options list.

Answers my question :icon thumright:

The AA and CP comment was more aimed toward PFL 8v's. It didn't become an option until FL right? They just seem slow to adopt and implement new mainstream tech

It may not have been a feature on release, but also remember the hardware in the A3's have also been updated over the years to support new features, so it may not be just software required to get things like AA & CP to work.

They didn't do it probably because of the money..

Thing is why update if it's working. The MMI system on my A6 & A3 are working without any problems, and to be honest I don't want it broken by software bug that could be introduced with updates. The only time I'll update is when the final release is available for the cars, by that time it will be common knowledge on the version number, and the cars will well out of any warranty and Audi won't give two moneys if they get broken, not that they care anyway.

Part of the problem is the 8v is a 7-8 year old car and time on r&d just isn’t worth it. also being a 7-8 year old model the development started a few years before that so that makes the 8v over a decade old and in terms of technology it’s a dinosaur.
All the stuff mentioned is coming in the newer models.
One of the main reason they don’t update software just for the sake of it is new software/firmware can cause other problems while it will fix others so till you complain about something not working properly then they might update it.
It’s no different to some computer components, you wouldn’t just update the firmware when everything is working fine.

Reactions: Ormesome
It may not have been a feature on release, but also remember the hardware in the A3's have also been updated over the years to support new features, so it may not be just software required to get things like AA & CP to work.

Thing is why update if it's working. The MMI system on my A6 & A3 are working without any problems, and to be honest I don't want it broken by software bug that could be introduced with updates. The only time I'll update is when the final release is available for the cars, by that time it will be common knowledge on the version number, and the cars will well out of any warranty and Audi won't give two moneys if they get broken, not that they care anyway.
So they won't support cars from 2015 at all I believe ? simply they won't bother right? it is like TVs laptops etc all electronics after 5 years is obsolete
So what they do in garages when ppl goes for remap stages ?? illegal software flash ? to unlock engine performance as audi on purpose limiting engines power simply with software..

Part of the problem is the 8v is a 7-8 year old car and time on r&d just isn’t worth it. also being a 7-8 year old model the development started a few years before that so that makes the 8v over a decade old and in terms of technology it’s a dinosaur.
All the stuff mentioned is coming in the newer models.
One of the main reason they don’t update software just for the sake of it is new software/firmware can cause other problems while it will fix others so till you complain about something not working properly then they might update it.
It’s no different to some computer components, you wouldn’t just update the firmware when everything is working fine.

I do get that and understand the reluctance to be proactive and periodically update software (and recognize the inherent risk that any update brings). I don't argue the attitude of 'if it's not broke don't fit it' is wrong, I'm just saying, from an end users perspective and perceived experience, I want updates and bugfixes dammit! :grin:

I do get that and understand the reluctance to be proactive and periodically update software (and recognize the inherent risk that any update brings). I don't argue the attitude of 'if it's not broke don't fit it' is wrong, I'm just saying, from an end users perspective and perceived experience, I want updates and bug fixes dammit! :grin:
Audi is not bothered if u want get odis training ... it is basically same as BIOS in motherboards and laptops bios manufacturers won't give you software to mess with BIOS firmware.. I think lot of ppl would brick their cars messing with flashing and then blaming audi ...

As long as the car is our of warranty they don't care what you do with the car. However if the car is under warranty and you remap it, and then have issue (or blow your engine up)you will kiss goodbye to the warranty on the engine, gearbox and drive train if they find the engine ECU has been remapped. VW finance may also cancel your agreement if they find out the warranty has been cancelled on your car because of the modifications you have made (but now we are getting off topic).

Nothing is "illegal" when mapping or updating the software in your car, it's all down to warranty. If your our of warranty do what you want with the car, Audi could not careless what you do with it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't messing with updating and flashing things myself, my op was one more of curiosity.

I'm luckily in that I don't (presently) have any software problems and my car's from early '14! I'm sure I'd have noticed something by now.

I do get that and understand the reluctance to be proactive and periodically update software (and recognize the inherent risk that any update brings). I don't argue the attitude of 'if it's not broke don't fit it' is wrong, I'm just saying, from an end users perspective and perceived experience, I want updates and bugfixes dammit! :grin:

what you see as a bug some might see as a feature. Problem is some bugs don’t affect everyone and dependant on the configurations of your car. Audi loves selling options so not every car is the same.
That’s probably one of the reason they are pushing option packs like tech pack, safety pack etc rather than individual options in newer cars. Makes it easier to fault find when there are only so many variations.

It's always fascinating to dive into the world of revisions and updates, especially when it comes to tech.

While the thread is a bit older, the topic you've brought up is still relevant and intriguing. When it comes to keeping track of technical updates like MMI revisions, organization is key.

While the thread is a bit older, the topic you've brought up is still relevant and intriguing. When it comes to keeping track of technical updates like MMI revisions, organization is key.
Have you considered utilizing notesonline.com? This online tool is designed for note-taking and sharing, which could be a handy way to compile a list of feature additions and bugfixes. Collaborating with others and sharing your findings can contribute to a collective understanding. Exploring options like this might provide the structured platform you need for your "purely academic" endeavor.