MMI: The mystery of the disappearing Google satellite maps

DavidL

Reaction score
Here's one for you folks. Have an A4 Sline B9-MY16 with the usual array of gadgets.
I like the Google satellite view feature, nicer to look at over the simple maps.

Car hooks up to home WiFi so as I drive away, the local area (1-2 miles) shown in full definition overhead google satellite glory.
Pop on the mobile hotspot, satellite view remains. Obviously switch it off and keep driving, the view gradually degrades until just the normal Audi road map is shown.

Now here's my question. Are the maps stored anywhere within the MMI system? And if so, for how long?
Reason for asking, went to collect the mother-in-law with the mobile hotspot on and the Google satellite view appeared. On the way back, with the hotspot now off, the Google view was still there.... A few days later (car hadn't been out much), the view had gone.

Any ideas or tips folks? Would be nice if the unit could store the satellite view - and we could influence how long for/how much storage etc.

Reactions: Alexandre Champagne
They don't store at all. When I questioned the data usage I was assured that it wouldn't need to re-download for routine journeys.

However after not topping up the data allowance on the sim I put in the glovebox, I don't get any Google earth maps at all - even on my commute where I used Google earth maps a few times as I played with my new toy.

Reactions: Alexandre Champagne, DavidL and Rob_F
Guys, how did you access the satellite view feature? I have a 2017 A4 AllRoad with all the gadgets but I can't seem to find how to enable satellite view. Any tips?

Here's one for you folks. Have an A4 Sline B9-MY16 with the usual array of gadgets.
I like the Google satellite view feature, nicer to look at over the simple maps.

Car hooks up to home WiFi so as I drive away, the local area (1-2 miles) shown in full definition overhead google satellite glory.
Pop on the mobile hotspot, satellite view remains. Obviously switch it off and keep driving, the view gradually degrades until just the normal Audi road map is shown.

Now here's my question. Are the maps stored anywhere within the MMI system? And if so, for how long?
Reason for asking, went to collect the mother-in-law with the mobile hotspot on and the Google satellite view appeared. On the way back, with the hotspot now off, the Google view was still there.... A few days later (car hadn't been out much), the view had gone.

Any ideas or tips folks? Would be nice if the unit could store the satellite view - and we could influence how long for/how much storage etc.
You do have the technology pack yes? From what you are describing, if the maps fade when you move further away from your house, that it is using your home wifi and not the built in sims card, which works fine in my car. It can only store a certain amount of data but I don't know how much.

He's got an MY16 like mine which doesn't have the SIM though. Don't think it even came with the tech pack then

All MY16 models have the slot for the SIM cards in the glove box. You just have to put your own card.

To me it does sound like he is connecting to his home wifi and its obviously dropping out as he leaves.

Google maps as far as i am aware only keeps a small cache for a small period of time. It constantly downloads new data as you travel thus needs a constant data connection.

Is it not possible to connect to iPhone wifi hotspot? Would make sense but in this day and age perhaps that's too sensible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, according to the manual it is possible to connect the MMI to the iphone's wifi hotspot.

I use the phone data, although I find that the connection needs a certain order to work.

If Bluetooth connects first, the personal hotspot isn't picked up. I have to turn Bluetooth on after hotspot connection, then both will work.