MMI suddenly has no sound

David Carr

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, so sorry if I've posted in the wrong place. My A6 2010 Avant (satnav, cdchanger in glove box, mmi in left boot) has lost all the sound for the radio and media. Just happened one day. The MMI still works, but all the audio options are greyed out. I've reset the MMI a couple of times using the three button press, but nothing changed.

I googled a bit and it seems like a cracked rear wash hose is a common cause of damage to the MMI in the boot, however I opened up the boot space and it appears completely dry. I haven't tried operating the rear washer while I have it open though.

Also I don't have a VCDS to do a loop test. Can suggest any ideas or help me out (I'm in South Croydon)? I half wonder if one of the kids has pressed something they shouldn't.

Hi, as your mmi still works you can exclude problem with MOST.
2 things possible, either damaged amplifier or component protection could kick in in your mmi. When it happens sound is disabled for all media units.
Best to read fault codes, it will definitely tell you where the problem is.

Reactions: RoyC
Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I guess I'll get the garage to check the errors for me. Hopefully it's something small like you say.

Had a similar problem with my 2006 A6 with the 2G MMI, suddenly no sound. Googled a bit and eventually pulled the fuse for the MMI for 15 mins then re-inserted. Now sorted. Don't know if it helps but thought it might be worth a mention if it saves you cash. P.S. The fuse box is on the side of the front dash. Only accessible if you have the front door open.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, but it didn't fix it. Will have to take it to the garage when I can work up the energy.