MMI problems (bootloader screen) A6 C6....ADMITTEDLY SELF INFLICTED

carty80

Reaction score
Hi All,

PLEASE HELP>>>>>:sadlike:

I have recently purchased 2007 A6 3L TDI.....

I know its my own fault for messing with the MMI hidden settings when stuck in traffic, but I'm in a right pickle as I now have a message on my screen stating

Bootloader version 2.4 unreadable CD"
MMI (H43) applications update
Searching download CD
unreadable CD​

I cannot get rid of this screen and now nothing works (no radio, sat nav, phone). I have tried resetting (pressing setup, MMI nob and right upper button simulataneously) but it does not solve the issue

I'm presuming the only fix is to pay my local dealer to reset the whole system?

Has anyone done the same and managed to rectify this without involving an Audi dealer? Even VAG-COM does not work when connected to the car.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I would say that could be a trip to the Audi dealer to get eh MMi re-configured. If you cant get back into the MMI Hidden menu again, then the dealer may be the only option

Thanks Cockney Boy, I've booked in with the local dealership tomorrow morning. Apparently the whole MMI system has to be reloaded.

All I was trying to do was get the AC settings to appear on the MMI screen!! Now its going to cost me £97+VAt/hour to fix...my own fault I suppose.

What you have done is basically ask the MMI to reload from disk. So all you need is an update disk in the CD changer and it will reload. Do a search form MMI 5570 updates on google and download disk 1, burn it to a CD and put it in the 1st slot of the CD changer. When your MMI restarts it should read the disk and reload the MMI.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery?

It wont help, the bootloader is the lowest level of firmware in the MMI module and still requires a reload of the MMI software to make it work

how do we find out what version we are running as everywhere is on about 5570 or 5150 or lower but ive read so many pages but cant find out how to work it out lol, sorry to hijack thread

Just thought I'd update anyone that reads this thread. ........

Since the "bootloader" message appeared on my MMI screen and I subsequently downloaded a the "5570" update from the internet, I have inadvertently
damaged the ECU that controls the MMI system. To fix this "little" problem is now going to make me £1,050 lighter in the pocket as my local Audi dealership needs to replace the damaged ECU.
The technician has tried all diagnostics and the update CDs himself but to no prevail.

Really embarrassing as it is purely my own fault. However, I thought I'd update the thread, as it prooves that you should not mess with your cars settings if you do not fully understand the system.

Unfortunately, I have learnt the hard way.

That shouldn't have happened. Disk 1 contains 5150 only and is everything needed to recover an MMI unit.

Many other people have had this issue before when experimenting with the hidden menus, including myself, and have recovered there MMI control boxes.

I need some help as my MMI has failed due to water ingress (rear washer) in the rear n/s panel soaking the Bose amplifier. (have upgraded music in my 2.7Tdi Avant S line 2007). I dried it out and it worked for a while but bit by bit the volume, radio, screen, blue tooth etc started to fail. Now nothing works. Have tried to find a replacement amp but to no avail, (£1000 for a new one +++?)
I understand there is a known problem and in certain cases Audi have admitted fault & repaired/replaced?
Has anyone out there had a similar experience? Any suggestions how I can approach this please .......

This post is actually in the wrong forum (seems to have got left behind when the old A6 forum was split into model based sub-fora) as this forum is for the C5 model which did not have MMI. Suggest you post this on the C6 forum

Hi All,

PLEASE HELP>>>>>:sadlike:

I have recently purchased 2007 A6 3L TDI.....

I know its my own fault for messing with the MMI hidden settings when stuck in traffic, but I'm in a right pickle as I now have a message on my screen stating

Bootloader version 2.4 unreadable CD"
MMI (H43) applications update
Searching download CD
unreadable CD​

I cannot get rid of this screen and now nothing works (no radio, sat nav, phone). I have tried resetting (pressing setup, MMI nob and right upper button simulataneously) but it does not solve the issue

I'm presuming the only fix is to pay my local dealer to reset the whole system?

Has anyone done the same and managed to rectify this without involving an Audi dealer? Even VAG-COM does not work when connected to the car.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I know this post is old but did you solve this problem if so how as I have gone and activated the Bootloader in my car via the green menus I was able to get the 5570 and the the 1100 CDs but no luck the screen keeps saying it's not readable. Any help would be much apreciated

aarrrgh so had my car 15 minutes and doing the man thing of find secret menu, saw boot loader and thought that was the startup screen and yep its not.

So reading the threads etc the only thing I can do is take it to Audi and get them to reload the software ? how stupid is that, no warning or do you want to do this.

Will this drain the battery ? as its permanently on and looking for the cd ?

So annoyed at myself as literally parked up on the driveway and was going to setup bluetooth etc.

Before I did this the Sat nav and radio, controls etc everything worked fine so hoping that take it to Audi and not risk downloading some software that may brick it. (2007 Audi A6 Allroader)

Stands back ready to have idiot stones at.... did I say how annoyed Iam at myself...

Seeing as you made this little mistake, and you cannot do much more damage:readit: Download the 5570 MMI CD's in this link and try and reload the software https://a6retrofit.com/mmi-software-update-4l0-998-961-5570-5-5-70/

If that fails then I would look for another control head, it may be cheaper than getting Audi to reload the MMI software, as they will more than likely just want to replace the control head.

Also if the software updates fail then you can buy replacement control head from ebay for around £90-£100 mark, I think I may even have one from my old A6 after I replaced the 2G with the 3G MMI.

Last edited:
Phew CD1 worked, have no battery so charging it at moment and hoping can then access controls for Off road settings from Comfort etc. Do I go the whole way and update CD2 and CD3.. geez its been a nightmare already lol

Unless you have a battery charger I would not bother with CD2 & 3, as the BT module can take about an hour. Connect a charger then put the other CD's on the car. At least you will have the final version 5570

The only thing I can't see now is the systems menu in car, so can't alter the ride level or set the sensors to have a nice graphic etc

I'm going to load 5570 and see if it pops back on, oddly I can't seem to access the secret menu now as well !! But I can access the red menu to do software update

As you reloaded the MMI software all the setting set at factory will have been wiped. You will need to enable the the green menu and enable the setting in there. The update to 5570 won't fix the missing settings.

Thgouth that the case as went to put the fan on and car thinks its LH drive :) It now seems I can't access the green menu which I assume is where the settings are to re enable System etc.

Found an article on how to turn that on via VAGCOM now need to find someone local who has one to turn it on, but yep going to install 5570 so software is totally updated and no more changes.

Anyone know of an article that lists the green menu factory settings for A6 Allroader, i.e. get the battery check on, alter suspension, parking sensors display etc.

Update : Disc 3 hasn't burnt properly so have to do again, means a trip to mates house 100 miles away as I have macs only and no CD writer. Also definitely can't access green menu, tried multiple times so assume it needs to be set as per this article
http://mr-fix.info/mmi-hidden-green-menu-2g-3g/

Then Im hoping I can get access to systems and change from LH drive :)

Don't know how long you are planning to keep the car but a purchase of VCDS will save you a lot of money on diagnostics. The cables also keep their value, and easy to sell on when you have sold your VAG group motors.

The only trouble is all the ones Ive seen on eBay only connect to windows and I have Macs, is there something Im missing as it seems you buy the cables then can you download the software ?

I could get my son to dig out my old windows laptop I gave him and have that as backup, if he can find it lol.

The car has 196K miles on it, so Im keeping her a while its my run around.

The only trouble is all the ones Ive seen on eBay only connect to windows and I have Macs, is there something Im missing as it seems you buy the cables then can you download the software ?

I could get my son to dig out my old windows laptop I gave him and have that as backup, if he can find it lol.
I use bootcamp to run windows and there have been no issues. VCDS runs absolutely fine.

The only trouble is all the ones Ive seen on eBay only connect to windows and I have Macs, is there something Im missing as it seems you buy the cables then can you download the software ?.

Forget about the ebay ones, they are either the old versions that won't work on your car or are hacked versions. Genuine versions are about £270, but you may find used one for around the £220 mark. You can buy from forum members on here or a company called ilexa which is where I got my cable from over 10 years ago and it's still working fine, and I get all the latest updates.

Hi in South Africa
Q7 entered bootloader mode
Audi put me on back burner for 2 weeks
Got car there today
1. Does not load ads
2. Cannot update mmi in any way
I feel like putting the car alight
Can anyone tell me what to do next I am fed up depressed and turning into a chain smoking alcoholic
I am desperate as I cannot fix this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk