MMI Plus - what's your typical data use? Do you use it?

PeteBSK

Reaction score
Took delivery of new A6 last week, which has MMI Plus with the Tech Pack. After the initial disappointment of neither my personal iPhone or work Windows Phone connecting to the car via the (bizarrely rare?) rSAP (Remote SIM Access protocol - which only seems to work for _some_ Samsung phones?) for data use, I resorted to buying a pre-pay SIM whilst I worked out how much data I was going to "typically" use month on month.

I just wondered if anyone out there is actually using the MMI Data services? Mainly - for me - Google Earth view on the SatNav which is superb... but also things like Petrol (gas) prices, Parking, City Events... per other threads Facebook is no longer available, seemingly because they stopped their API.

Anyway... on a 380 mile round trip, I had Google Earth view on the SatNav the whole time. I would imagine that apart from a Software or Map update, Google Earth would be the single biggest use of data, but I only used just under 200Mb of Data in total. I am only going to do about 800 miles a month max, so that's easily manageable on a 1Gb data only mobile. Given that the car manual informs me that Google Earth map imagery is stored - up to 2Gb - this will also help with minimising data use further as I typically travel the same routes.

Just wondered what everyone else was using data-wise on MMI...?

Pete

According to the MMI, in the last month I have used 471MB. Admittedly, I don't use Google maps much, but every day, I stream 40 minutes worth of music via Napster or Audi Music Stream (Ministry of Sound Radio). Plus I have online traffic news on and I use the online RSS feeds every day.
All of this was via my RSAP connected Galaxy S5 which uses 2.5 GB out of my 5GB monthly allowance.
I have been surprised at how little data is used by connect.

Reactions: PeteBSK
Sorry Pete, I know you asked me this question on the other thread.

I've had the car for 6 weeks now, although it was parked in an airport car park for two of those weeks, I'm using everything bar streaming music and so far I'm nowhere near the 1gb limit.

My Tesco sim has a £12.50 limit per month, so if I do go over 1gb I'll only do it by £2.50!

No problem gc6269 and thanks DaveW for some great feedback too. I forgot about music streaming, but any of that will be done on my personal phone via Bluetooth - incidentally, have you all noticed how a high quality music stream is considerably better quality than music (say 256kbps MPEG or AAC) off of an SD card or even CD.

No problem , just happy to help out.

Instead of bluetooth music you're best using the wifi connect streaming from your mobile. That way you can browse tracks instead of just skip foward and back.

Reactions: PeteBSK
No problem , just happy to help out.

Instead of bluetooth music you're best using the wifi connect streaming from your mobile. That way you can browse tracks instead of just skip foward and back.
Great tip... I will try that, thanks!

Never used it despite having a seperate sim. A lot of the stuff like traffic and petrol came through anyway.

Don't drive regularly, and only for bigger trips.

DaveW, many thanks for the tip... despite reading (ok, I'm a bloke, "skim reading"/"cursory glance"!) the manual, I hadn't spotted that you can also connect a music streaming device... such as am iPhone... to the MMI system via WiFi. So now I have:
- SIM in the car for data services (Google Earth mapping, Fuel Prices etc... etc )
- Work mobile phone connected via Bluetooth for handsfree talking
- Personal mobile connected via WiFi for music streaming - and you really do get full control of the device to select tracks

..all works a treat! I have read though that uncompressed FLAC files now work too, so need to try that next...

Reactions: DaveW

Dave, how does WiFi music streaming work? Is that the slightly weird Audi app on your phone that then lets you listen to some strange pseudo radio channels?

Dave, how does WiFi music streaming work? Is that the slightly weird Audi app on your phone that then lets you listen to some strange pseudo radio channels?

Correct, you can listen to Internet radio stations, or browse/play any music tracks stored on your mobile device, via wi-fi using the Audi Connect app.
It is a bit troublesome in that when the app is launched, it goes off to a central database and loads your vehicle type and as a result of this, displays the available functions for your vehicle. Sometimes this doesn't work and you don't get the option for music streaming via Audi connect or online music via Aupeo or Napster. To get around this you can either log out/in to Audi connect on you mobile again or select "Online Destinations" on you phone, which re-queries the database and reload your available services.
Sorry for the long reply, but hopefully it may be of help!