MMI oil level & some advice needed

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All,

After 3 months and just over 10k miles my car is asking for some oil. I have always kept an eye on the MMI level, this stayed at 100% for the first 4k miles, then hovered around 3 quarters to 2 thirds for a while. I also find that the system allows you to check the level whilst the engine is running, despite the manual being clear that the level should be checked with a warm engine that has been switched off for at least 2 minutes. (Yes - I did RTFM!!)

Yesterday it dropped to just under half way between the min and max marks and the system prompted me to add 0.5 liters.

I added 0.5 liters and waited a few minutes. This brought the level up to 3 quarters - I then added another 0.2 liters, waited and checked again. All good - I am at 100% - total of 0.7 liters added.

Whilst I was driving home on the motorway last night I checked the MMI level which now says to "reduce oil level". No warning light on the dash. I pulled off at the next exit, switched off, waited a few minutes and checked again. Now back to Engine oil OK.

Should I be concerned? I am thinking not as when I follow the correct 'manual' procedure for checking the level all is OK.

As always, grateful for views. Really don't like being without a dipstick...!!

You can add one however you need to trim off the top of the Audi one otherwise it fouls the bonnet. I just use it now and again.

Reactions: Nick_B
Hi All,

After 3 months and just over 10k miles my car is asking for some oil. I have always kept an eye on the MMI level, this stayed at 100% for the first 4k miles, then hovered around 3 quarters to 2 thirds for a while. I also find that the system allows you to check the level whilst the engine is running, despite the manual being clear that the level should be checked with a warm engine that has been switched off for at least 2 minutes. (Yes - I did RTFM!!)

Yesterday it dropped to just under half way between the min and max marks and the system prompted me to add 0.5 liters.

I added 0.5 liters and waited a few minutes. This brought the level up to 3 quarters - I then added another 0.2 liters, waited and checked again. All good - I am at 100% - total of 0.7 liters added.

Whilst I was driving home on the motorway last night I checked the MMI level which now says to "reduce oil level". No warning light on the dash. I pulled off at the next exit, switched off, waited a few minutes and checked again. Now back to Engine oil OK.

Should I be concerned? I am thinking not as when I follow the correct 'manual' procedure for checking the level all is OK.

If the indicated oil level is correct when carrying out the check using the correct procedure, as stated in the manual - well done by the way. I would not be worried if occasionally the reading is high when not using the correct procedure...

Reactions: Nick_B
You can add one however you need to trim off the top of the Audi one otherwise it fouls the bonnet. I just use it now and again.

Thanks - I intend to do that. There really is no substitute for seeing the physical oil level

Reactions: rasA4