MMI Nav stuck on Google Earth start-up screen

TimD

Reaction score
I've started to have some inconsistent problems with my MMI nav. The Google Earth start up screen, that I think you normally only see when the MMI reboots (A view of part of the planet in dark blue, with the Audi and Google Earth logos and a spinning progress wheel) has been showing for between a minute and an hour. I did an entire commute to work today (55miles) and it still had not come on. At the bottom of the MMI display, there is a Google logo and a progress bar underneath, which seems to get to almost 100% complete after a minute or so, then it just sits there.

It's not easy for me to take the car to a dealer (time not at work = time not getting paid) so I am keen to try as much as I can myself.

I have never done any software or map updates at all - which I might do. What media do I need? is it a chunky SD card?

Has anyone tried doing a settings reset on the MMI Nav? I am a little reluctant until I know what I will lose by doing so.

Anyone else had this?

Strangely, on the commute home, it came straight on.

Reactions: Capitan
Have you tried rebooting it, can be done by pushing the two silver rocker switches up to Nav & Radio and then press down on the touch dial.

Video here -

Reactions: Ioan Furdui
I've started to have some inconsistent problems with my MMI nav. The Google Earth start up screen, that I think you normally only see when the MMI reboots (A view of part of the planet in dark blue, with the Audi and Google Earth logos and a spinning progress wheel) has been showing for between a minute and an hour. I did an entire commute to work today (55miles) and it still had not come on. At the bottom of the MMI display, there is a Google logo and a progress bar underneath, which seems to get to almost 100% complete after a minute or so, then it just sits there.

It's not easy for me to take the car to a dealer (time not at work = time not getting paid) so I am keen to try as much as I can myself.

I have never done any software or map updates at all - which I might do. What media do I need? is it a chunky SD card?

Has anyone tried doing a settings reset on the MMI Nav? I am a little reluctant until I know what I will lose by doing so.

Anyone else had this?

Been having the same issue pal. I bought an SD card and went on the my audi website, downloaded the latest maps using the app onto the sd card.

Then I updated them in the car. No problems since.

You need a standard size sd card not the micro ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else had this?

There is already a thread on this http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/embedded-sim-fail.322295/page-3 I think the mods need to start looking at this as now there are three threads on the same topic.

Apologies -I had read the first page or so of the other thread, and not read on, because whilst I had had some sim dropouts early doors. in the last 5000 miles I have not seen it at all. I now see that that thread moved on to cover the Google maps loading issue as well as eSim issues - one of which sounds like something at the server end, and one of which sounds like something at the client end...

PR - thanks for the reboot tip - I will try that, and Capitan, I'll try the update too. When referring to size, i wasn't clear that I was meaning storage capacity rather than physical size. :) Anyone know what capacity is needed to do a full maps update? I don't want to have to do it twice, and doubt that any SD cards I have sculling around here are huge.

Reactions: Capitan
Apologies -I had read the first page or so of the other thread, and not read on, because whilst I had had some sim dropouts early doors. in the last 5000 miles I have not seen it at all. I now see that that thread moved on to cover the Google maps loading issue as well as eSim issues - one of which sounds like something at the server end, and one of which sounds like something at the client end...

PR - thanks for the reboot tip - I will try that, and Capitan, I'll try the update too. When referring to size, i wasn't clear that I was meaning storage capacity rather than physical size. :) Anyone know what capacity is needed to do a full maps update? I don't want to have to do it twice, and doubt that any SD cards I have sculling around here are huge.

Thats cool mate.

15.8gb

Which means you need a 32gb card! Annoying! The 16gb cards formatted are like 14.1gb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimD
Im having the same issue, on top of that my mmi will randomly switch off and reboot itself mid drive, very annoying! got mine booked in with Audi

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No worries, the maximum capacity SD for sat nav updates is actually 32gb, any higher and it tends not to work, I always use a 32gb formatted as it comes.

Update from me.
  • I tweeted Audi Customer Care @AudiUKCare off the back of another tweet on the subject. Just a polite tweet asking to be added to the list of people affected. They asked me to DM them my VIN, which I did during the day.
  • No idea whether it was connected or not, but on the way home from work, I essentially had no eSIM functionality - it did not believe it was there. So no traffic, no Audi Connected services etc etc. Was pretty disappointed in case they had done something that had made it worse...
  • This morning - straight into Google Earth. Delighted.
  • Coming home from work, back stuck on the Google Earth loading screen again, but all of the rest of the connected services work OK.

Not sure whether this really adds much, but thought I'd share.

My suggestion is that everyone suffering the issue does raise it with Audi centrally, as there does not seem to be much point doing stuff through the dealer as I am sure it is out of their control.

Incidentally -I do realise I am perpetuating the duplicate threads. Mods - if you wish to merge the threads I have no issue...

Reactions: Keef
Just found this post on the new A5 thread:
"Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted. Audi connect® should be used only when it is safe and appropriate. Audi connect PRIME services are optional and require an active subscription with separate terms and vehicle mobile data connectivity. Some services collect location information and require a vehicle GPS signal; see Terms of Service for information about how to disable. Online services are subject to change. Google Earth™ services may not be available after December 2020. See Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and other details at audiusa.com/connect.

Up until recently it stated that Google Earth services may not be available after 2017.

Looks like they have renewed a contract and maybe we have to wait for the licenses to update ??????"
Credit to PaulMcG