MMI (large screen) and iPhone questions

Nerdy Norm

Reaction score
When an iPhone is connected via the cable, can it be controlled from both the MMI as well as the phone itself?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to browse the iPhone's music using the car interface, but when I want to listen to internet radio via Tune-in, presumably I'll need to select that from the phone's interface.

On the subject of Tune-in, does it interface with the MMI at all? It would be great if it did, but I doubt it. I had a quick look at Audi's Music Stream app (which includes a internet radio feature), but it seems to be very limited, even omitting the entire BBC radio network from its listings :(

When an iPhone is connected via the cable, can it be controlled from both the MMI as well as the phone itself?

I've never tried it but it should work fine - my iPod Touch (which is effectively the same device without the phone) works fine.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to browse the iPhone's music using the car interface, but when I want to listen to internet radio via Tune-in, presumably I'll need to select that from the phone's interface.

Yep that's how it works. You can use the MMI to browse through music using Playlists, Artists, Albums, Tracks, Genres etc. Streaming services will have to be controlled via the phone.

On the subject of Tune-in, does it interface with the MMI at all? It would be great if it did, but I doubt it. I had a quick look at Audi's Music Stream app (which includes a internet radio feature), but it seems to be very limited, even omitting the entire BBC radio network from its listings :(

Don't know about that I'm afraid as it requires Connect, which I don't have.

Thanks - can you also browse the music directly on the iPod, or does it get locked so that only the MMI can control it?

On other systems I've used, it's always one or the other, not both at the same time.

Pretty sure you can use the device too.

But with the device tucked away in the arm rest on a short cable, I've found that pretty much impossible. But I have found the MMI interface excellent for browsing and playing my music and never have the urge to use the device itself.

Thanks - I forgot about the short cable.

The reason I asked was that my wife hates using any music interface other than an iPod's, and since she's in charge of the music on long journeys, it'd be good if she could use the iPod as normal.

I wonder if getting the Audi USB cable and plugging an Apple cable into that would work?

And has anyone tried the Ebay cables? They only list one version for iPod/iPhone, so I wonder if it's the same as the red or blue Audi version?

Your best bet would be to get an extension cable - you can get Apple dock connector extension cables for a fiver. That's guaranteed to work as you're still connection to the iPhone in the same way, just extending the connection length.

Just an update on this for anyone interested:

I can confirm that you can't control the music stored on the iPod (both Classic HD and iOS versions) using the iPod's own interface. The MMI locks it out, so you can only use the MMI interface to control the music.

That's a pain for me as my wife is in charge of the music on our frequent long road trips, and she's going to hate not being able to use the iPod as normal :(

Not to mention that the long MMI cable I just bought will now go into the spaghetti drawer, never to be seen again...

Just an update on this for anyone interested:

I can confirm that you can't control the music stored on the iPod (both Classic HD and iOS versions) using the iPod's own interface. The MMI locks it out, so you can only use the MMI interface to control the music.

That's a pain for me as my wife is in charge of the music on our frequent long road trips, and she's going to hate not being able to use the iPod as normal :(

Not to mention that the long MMI cable I just bought will now go into the spaghetti drawer, never to be seen again...

Does the A3 have auxiliary in the glovebox? That will allow you to use the iPod.

It has a USB socket, but that's for charging only. When I use the MMI -> female USB cable + an iPod lead, it's not recognised.

I understand that there are probably technical reasons why both interfaces can't function at the same time, however it would be nice to have the option to choose which to use. This is the case with a Pioneer custom-fit unit I use in my Golf-based 2012 Caddy.