Facelift MMI Issues

dreamer75

Reaction score
Hi everybody - I've got a year old S3 Sportback and the MMI is misbehaving. It's been to the dealer 3 times now, had the mandatory software update etc. but no progress yet.

Symptoms are that if you try to use any online destinations (for example if you send the car a destination from the app), it takes around 4-7 minutes to be able to browse for the destination. First the option is greyed out, then it's "checking license" then it's "querying database" which initially returns no results, then you query the db again and get your results.

Browsing a playlist via cable (iPhone 7) takes another 4 minutes or so due to the "preparing media centre" screen....... and don't start on the bluetooth phone connectivity!

I can't believe this is normal behaviour - nearly 10 mins sat on the drive waiting for it to navigate somewhere and play some music..... dealer is clueless and I'm not sure what t he next step is. Live with it for the next few years, or try to escalate somehow.

Is anybody else seeing these problems? Could it just be as simple as a faulty MMI unit?

Hi everybody - I've got a year old S3 Sportback and the MMI is misbehaving. It's been to the dealer 3 times now, had the mandatory software update etc. but no progress yet.

Symptoms are that if you try to use any online destinations (for example if you send the car a destination from the app), it takes around 4-7 minutes to be able to browse for the destination. First the option is greyed out, then it's "checking license" then it's "querying database" which initially returns no results, then you query the db again and get your results.

Browsing a playlist via cable (iPhone 7) takes another 4 minutes or so due to the "preparing media centre" screen....... and don't start on the bluetooth phone connectivity!

I can't believe this is normal behaviour - nearly 10 mins sat on the drive waiting for it to navigate somewhere and play some music..... dealer is clueless and I'm not sure what t he next step is. Live with it for the next few years, or try to escalate somehow.

Is anybody else seeing these problems? Could it just be as simple as a faulty MMI unit?

If they have updated software as far as they can then they now need to reproduce the issues within another car with the same MIB unit. If they can’t and all works normally then they should change out your MIB for a new one.

Have seen a lot of issues with MIB’s recently, mainly due to over heating. Sometimes this can be resolved by reapplying the thermal paste on all the internal heat sinks. Audi dealership will not fault find at component level however and should just replace, which is what I am doing more and more.

Thanks for the reply - I'm doubtful they'll bother trying to reproduce. Each time I drop it off they are clueless about the history and just look at me with blank faces when I try to explain the issue. This is despite lengthy dialogue, sending them videos, asking them to investigate a solution before dropping the car off etc.

I haven't found any google references to these issues so I'm guessing it isn't a widespread issue ?

I suppose I need to put pressure on them to replace the unit, which I imagine they won't be happy to do. (On top of the partial respray and paint correction they've had to do, replacement of faulty sunroof parts, squeaky seat, and now the oil leak they caused at the last service).

Thanks for the reply - I'm doubtful they'll bother trying to reproduce. Each time I drop it off they are clueless about the history and just look at me with blank faces when I try to explain the issue. This is despite lengthy dialogue, sending them videos, asking them to investigate a solution before dropping the car off etc.

I haven't found any google references to these issues so I'm guessing it isn't a widespread issue ?

I suppose I need to put pressure on them to replace the unit, which I imagine they won't be happy to do. (On top of the partial respray and paint correction they've had to do, replacement of faulty sunroof parts, squeaky seat, and now the oil leak they caused at the last service).
You have a vehicle within warranty period. I would just say “here is the video proof, fix the issue or change the unit for one that works like all the others in your showroom... where is my loan car?”

My local dealer (MK Audi) have a setup where you can just show up and ask to see a techy. No appointment necessary.
I used it once and they had a guy out within 10 minutes to speak to.

Exactly DJAlix. That's the next step - I've dropped it off this morning for the third time to look at the same fault and explained clearly that there needs to be a resolution by the time I pick it up. What frustrates me (as well as lack of fix) was that despite all the history, they are pleading ignorance to any past information or history.

Anyway, getting upset about it doesn't fix it! First I wanted to establish whether there was a "known issue" or "they all do that" with the MMI, but it sounds like (based on this thread and my own google research) that this isn't a common fault. Given it isn't known/common, unless this visit resolves it, I'll be pushing them to replace and escalating via dealer principal and Audi UK.

Thanks again :)

Dreamer75

I downloaded a couple of destination to my car today using MyAudi, and remembering your problem I thought I’d see how long it took to upload them in the car. After switching on the ignition it took just under a minute for the MMI to boot up. Selecting AudiConnect, navigating the menu, logging in and downloading MyAudi destinations then took under a minute.

You definitely have a fault !

im thinking i might look onto beefing up the cooling on my MMi2 from what im reading about failures.

My local dealer (MK Audi) have a setup where you can just show up and ask to see a techy. No appointment necessary.
I used it once and they had a guy out within 10 minutes to speak to.

Wish all dealers would do this. It’s great idea having drop in type sessions.

My MMI screen (and dash) brightness flickers. Sometimes the step jump is so great it catches your eye as you think it a warning dialogue box coming up.

Among the intermittent problem with the handbrake sticking on and the very clunky/notchy gearchange (especially 2nd), it's been in many times to the dealer. They can't fix the handbrake (now with added clutch shudder) and the gear changes and MMI are seemingly normal.

Thanks everybody - Mikeso51 how long had the car been sat since you last drove it? My theory is that it goes to sleep after a certain amount of time, and there's some sort of cold startup it has to do, which is what's taking the time. The car tends to sit on the drive for a few days in between being driven.

Got it back from the dealer "fixed" but of course it isn't. And wasn't in the carpark, but it was too late to demonstrate the issue to them as I'd already started the car and waited for the nav, before I ran back inside to get the service tech. They had figured out I wasn't set as the "primary driver" of the car, which they've rectified. Now every time I start the car it takes 30-60 seconds before I can click on a "MyAudi Destination" (which is greyed out until then), then asks me to confirm which is the user logging in, then takes a while to "accept settings" then another minute or so to "checking license" and "querying database" - all in all about 3 minutes.

Not sure why it's asking for the user to be confirmed every time now (it has never asked before they set me as the "primary driver"), and it's still taking forever to check licenses, confirm settings etc. etc.

I can live with playlists taking 2-3 minutes to show (possibly a iOS incompatibility between iPhone and MMI) but the nav is a real issue - currently have to leave at least 5 minutes sitting on the drive waiting to navigate. Or just google it on the phone in my hand and enter it manually of course (which in reality is what I do) and can't be done on the move.

Dreamer75

The results I reported were after the car had been left in the garage for 4 or 5 days without being used. I didn't start the car, just switched on the ignition. I am set up as the primary user, and the MMI connects automatically to AudiConnect without me needing to do anything, but I do have to go through the logging in process if I want to download destinations from MyAudi. Some additional security issue I suppose.

There goes my theory then ! I have a video (very tedious) -I'll post it if I can figure out how! Just ignore the grey boxes where I've banked out my login name into the MMI!

No dice. Get message “Secure connection to server cannot be established” when trying to connect.

Hmm. I've asked a couple of other people to test the link and it's ok for them - could be either your browser, or if you're accessing at work it might be something on their network?

Ironically I generated the link on a Mac, although it's OneDrive. Might be worth trying on a 4G/3G link rather than wifi?

Dreamer75 did you get it fixed?
I have the exact same problem. Like identical to yours in any way on my A3 FL .

No - keep getting fobbed off with "we've submitted the video to Audi and we're waiting to see what they say" - getting fairly p*ssed off now.

I've also noticed that on occasion the nav screen boots up really fast - goes straight in without that display which shows the % loading. Maybe does that one time in 20. Every other time it goes through a full startup which takes a while.

My gut feel is it's completely shutting down and going through a full startup process every time, which is why it's taking a while to load, and then minutes to login and retrieve online destiations. Whereas I would expect it go to into a sort of suspend/snooze mode usually so you get a quick startup next time you use it.

I've asked a few times for replacement unit now, but reaching the end of my patience.