MMI issues

andywil13

Reaction score
I've had my new A3 for a while now, and its a great car, but i feel the MMI has a few too many issues for the price. Had anyone experienced any of the following problems?

• With the Sat Nav, when viewing the 3 routes, the ETA doesn’t take account of the traffic, so gives completely wrong times/suggestions
  • When using google to send location to MyAudi, it sends through the postcode, but doesn’t navigate to it, so I have been sent to wrong locations
  • MMI SD card album browser - doesn’t actually browse through albums, it browses through artists, seems very counter-intuitive, can’t seem to find an option to change so clearly a design fault?
  • When iPhone connected with cable, no pictures for music are shown.
  • When using Sim Access Profile, the in-car SMS keeps using the sim card to store texts, rather than the phone storage - can’t seem to select it to use the phone storage by default.
  • The in-car text messaging keeps losing its SMS service centre number so not able to send texts without typing it back in each time.

I've had the problem with the google send to car thing - it mangles the location a bit and can end you up in the wrong place. If you log in to myAudi and try and edit the place, then save it, it moans about a required field ('Location') not being there, which was never there in the first place! It uses this for the navigation I think, so you have to copy the lat/long into it and save. It's really retarded the way it's set up, but hopefully something they can fix in the future.

For the Sim Access Profile / text message storage - this is nothing to do with the MMI, it's just how remote sim access works. Clue's in the name - it has access to the sim, not the phone storage, so it can't store the texts anywhere else. Same for call logs. This is the reason I don't bother with RSAP any more, and just use bluetooth for phone functions and a separate SIM for data.

I really hope they work on the 'send to car' thing as it is very clunky at the moment, but it does work. I also can't remove destinations from the online list from the car which is annoying, have to log into myaudi to do it.

Thanks for that update.

I did think that would be the case with the RSAP. What sort of SIM deal have you got for data access? and how does the car handle the default phone you wish to make a call from?

My car is currently with Audi for a possable turbo fault (loss of power) and ive asked them some of my questions so will let you know what they say about the Send from MyAudi feature. In my opinion its a major fault and one of the reasons I paid for the AudiConnect SatNav.

I started with a T-mobile one on an unlimited data plan, but wasn't using anything like enough data to justify it. I now have a 3 one (pre-paid thing, £20? for 3 months and 3GB data) which is much better, and much better coverage with it too. You can set the default phone that's used for data, and for calls - it's somewhere in the settings.

To add to the niggles, you can't dictate a text message as a reply to one you have received, and the mp3 playback isn't gapless either. Those are the things I've noticed in addition to some of yours!

im having my car serviced tomorrow due to few MMI issues (tech pack). the sound keeps dissapearing and the sat nav hangs sometimes. sound can be solved by resetting the unit but the satnav needs few hours with the ignition off to restart (the 3button reset doesnt help). hopefully they can fix it with an firmware upgrade or something.

Looks interesting - especially as they operate on the Three network, and I have been impressed with the signal and coverage of the Three card I have in there at the moment

The impression I got was that you could watch the ads through the website, you don't need to do it on the sim

well I am using around 1Gb per month, only google maps, no facebook or tweeter.

'tweeter' - lol

I don't have the google maps view on most of the time. It's nice, but I prefer the traffic view really.

1gb a month is quite a bit. Does the system cache the maps at all or just download every time?

I've just ordered an OVIVO sim. There is someone else who has bought one of these but not sure if anyone has actually tried it in the car yet. 1gb of data free every month with no contract... Gotta be worth a try even if it only works for a couple of months before they suss me out and cancel it... I had been expecting to use about 500mb a month... Anyone fancies getting an OVIVO sim pm me and we can do refer a friend if you don't mind.

Yeh, I had Itguy's for a while, but it was a micro SIM, and I couldn't find a safe way of using it in the car to try it out - adapter with card wouldn't fit. They use the vodafone network though which isn't that great.

I got my Samba SIM last night and so far it seems to do the job and actually works loads better than using Remote SIM Access (RSAP)
Ive turned off the in car wifi so nothing else can use my data allowence apart from the car and so far it doesnt really use very much on my drive to work, but then I wasnt using sat nav so will have to do some more tests.

Pros of using an in car sim are:
-quicker connection to the google services
-SMS in the car uses the phone storage rather than the SIM storage :)
-calls list match the call history on the phone
-more reliable Bluetooth connection from the phone to the car using "handsfree" rather than "car phone" mode

When pairing the phone for the first time, it asks if you want to use the in car sim or the bonded phone for voice calls. You just select Bonded phone and then the in car SIM just sits in the background for data access. You get 2 icons on the screen that show the signal of the Data sim and the Phone sim.

As long as the data requirements aren't high, then I can see this working well.

I am wondering if snowfree52's post above is using the in car wifi for phone access, therefore increasing the data requirements reported on the car display

not using WIFI.

It seems the MMI can keep some Mb of the google maps map and therefore is not using anymore that amount of data.

im having my car serviced tomorrow due to few MMI issues (tech pack). the sound keeps dissapearing and the sat nav hangs sometimes. sound can be solved by resetting the unit but the satnav needs few hours with the ignition off to restart (the 3button reset doesnt help). hopefully they can fix it with an firmware upgrade or something.

I just got my car back from Audi and they did an ECU update. I noticed this morning the car spoke to be warning me of icy roads. I dont recall this before so perhaps a new feature. I wonder what other things have changed. I wonder if Audi can supply a change long for this sort of thing.

I doubt they did the map update so will do that this weekend

did they update the MMI ? what is your MMI version ?

Last edited:
Uploadfromtaptalk1390746685585

Slightly off topic: Does Audi Connect use Google Maps or some other online source for traffic info?

My MMI (Touch) issues:
- Doesn't store my login pin for Audi connect
- AMI randomly can't connect to my harddrive(ssd). Worked fine in my volvo.
To fix this is to restart the car or reconnect the usb-cabel.

Not problems more like would like to have or why is it like this :)
- MMI does not remember my "view" for the playlist. When I e.g. choose "folder view". It does not stay there and if I go back to that then I need to search up the correct folder again.
- Is it possible to choose in what order files are shown? Like the newest first, or alphabetic or some other way and it would remember that also.
- Spotify and internetradio on the MMI, not the phone. Would not like to use the phone for this. Now it is that you need to have mmi connect app there you choose the internet radio channels. So then MMI connects to the phone to listen to them. Spotify I need to use bluetooth connection. Would be nice to have it in MMI instead.
- How do I get or is it possible to get radio channels logos to MMI?
- Wlan only 11 MBit, so I guess only 802.11b? Wierd because the "internet" speed can be really fast when it supports LTE(4G).
- Possible to send the own POIs from my.audi to MMI without moving them with sd card? (and that doesn't work at the moment). :(
- B&O doesn't have a EQ., that you can change... only treble and bass.

Positive stuff:
- You can search songs etc. from MMI
- Possible to connect, usb devices(usb memory or harddrive), sd card, bluetooth, music true wlan, iphone connection etc.
- 4G connection(LTE)
- So many other functions, can't even count all of them.

My version is this:
20140123_205834.jpg

20140123_205852.jpg

Got a bit of an issue myself. Hopefuly someone out there with audi-connect can advise. Been merrily adding destinations to MyAudi but they have not as yet appeared in the MMI. I'm definitely connected and receiving data in general as news and facebook etc work along with visuals for the Nav from Google maps. Just no saved destinations.

Am I missing something, do I need to initiate some kind of synch' with my online destinations?

Got a bit of an issue myself. Hopefuly someone out there with audi-connect can advise. Been merrily adding destinations to MyAudi but they have not as yet appeared in the MMI. I'm definitely connected and receiving data in general as news and facebook etc work along with visuals for the Nav from Google maps. Just no saved destinations.

Am I missing something, do I need to initiate some kind of synch' with my online destinations?

Ive got this working by using the "send to car" feature on Google maps. First you have to register your google email address on the myaudi website. Then on google maps, you send to car, select Audi and then enter in your email address associated with the myaudi account.

Whist this does work, it doesn't work at the same time, is doesnt use the postcode you used when searching on google, so at times take you to a completely different destination! i have raised with my local audi dealer. Time to chase them i think!

Reactions: Helifella, phil1824 and cemerson
Thought this is the best place to post this. I have now had two occasions where the MMI has hung and then reset itself whilst in Navigation mode. Once whilst I was on a journey and once when I had entered a destination from a saved Streetview image and was just setting off.
Is this a common occurrence and any suggestions as to what to do to reduce the probability?
Phil

Yes, that doesn't mean it's the latest version. Should be though