Mmi is confusing me

Ken76

New to Audi
Reaction score
I have my car a few weeks now and recently is says no data connection on the mmi I have tried different things to no avail to get it working, so I need to purchase a data sim? If so what would everyone recommend?

I have my car a few weeks now and recently is says no data connection on the mmi I have tried different things to no avail to get it working, so I need to purchase a data sim? If so what would everyone recommend?

Hi Ken,

I’m assuming you have a new A4 and therefore should have an embedded sim unless anything has changed recently? The eSIM should cover everything other than hotspotting for tablets etc.

If however you’ve got an older A4 which doesn’t have a eSim you’ll need to pop one in. Great deals on SMARTY - 30gb for £10pm is what I opted for and it’s been great.

Reactions: Ken76
Hi Ken,

I’m assuming you have a new A4 and therefore should have an embedded sim unless anything has changed recently? The eSIM should cover everything other than hotspotting for tablets etc.

If however you’ve got an older A4 which doesn’t have a eSim you’ll need to pop one in. Great deals on SMARTY - 30gb for £10pm is what I opted for and it’s been great.

It’s 2016 so looks like I’ll have to get one, thanks so much for your input is smarty a website for sims?

Three also do sum cards. I’ve got one in mine

12GB and it lasts a year for about £28

I think used about 1GB since September.

It’s 2016 so looks like I’ll have to get one, thanks so much for your input is smarty a website for sims?

Smarty uses the 3 network.

All depends what you want to do - if it’s the basic use of Audi Connect functions and not hotspotting etc you don’t need anything like the 30gb.

Then just go for the three PAYG data sim which is something like 24GB for a year or as above from gtunney they do a 12GB one as well - keep an eye out for offers on them across various retailers.

Last edited:
I use smarty too for my personal phone + the car. Their prices are pretty much unbeatable - you just pay monthly.

I can go through 25gb in a couple months so smarty works perfect for me. I think I pay like £8.50 for 30gb of data month for the car. Plenty enough and it's ridiculously cheaper than the Audi plans.

If there is an embedded sim then Audi should extent the connect service for free. You just need to contact them...

Ive been in touch with Audi they didn’t know if there was a embedded sim in the car or not so I’ve got one from smarty to see if that sorts it out.

I have a 2016 and it has an embedded sim, as far as I understand that all b9 models come with it in europe..

I have a 2016 and it has an embedded sim, as far as I understand that all b9 models come with it in europe..

Just a thought were the embedded sim cars the ones with an SOS button?

It depends on the build date. My B9 is a very early build March 2016 and it doesn’t have embedded sim.

It depends on the build date. My B9 is a very early build March 2016 and it doesn’t have embedded sim.
Must be an anomaly, I also know some very early b9's had the SOS system fitted when mine hasn't got it and the system, I believe, didn't reappear until 2018..

May possibly depend on other items in the spec. High nav or something possible.

I didn’t know of any early B9s with SOS unless spec’d additionally.

There’s no sos system in it so I take it there’s no embedded sim? I’ve a data sim due any day now that I got online so I’ll try that and see.

I use smarty too for my personal phone + the car. Their prices are pretty much unbeatable - you just pay monthly.

I can go through 25gb in a couple months so smarty works perfect for me. I think I pay like £8.50 for 30gb of data month for the car. Plenty enough and it's ridiculously cheaper than the Audi plans.
I got a data sim today and the connection is there but it’s asking for log in details for 3 the SIM card I didn’t make an account with 3 should I do that?

I got a data sim today and the connection is there but it’s asking for log in details for 3 the SIM card I didn’t make an account with 3 should I do that?

I just popped the SMARTY sim in and used their website on my phone to activate if I remember correctly. Nothing extra on MMI was needed when I did it

I just popped the SMARTY sim in and used their website on my phone to activate if I remember correctly. Nothing extra on MMI was needed when I did it
ill register the sim tomorrow and take it from there, I’ll probably come back with more questions as you have it working on yours if that’s ok?

Three also do sum cards. I’ve got one in mine

12GB and it lasts a year for about £28

I think used about 1GB since September.
Hi I managed to get a SIM card but still having issues, keeps saying cant connect to my Audi? Any ideas??

Hi I managed to get a SIM card but still having issues, keeps saying cant connect to my Audi? Any ideas??

Hi Ken,

Not sure if I’m honest - check the licence period, could be it’s all expired and potential why you can’t connect?

If that’s the case just give Audi CS a call and ask them to extend the licenses - I think it’s still free as they hadn’t worked out how to charge.

If it’s not this is could be the SIM slot faulty or something else and may need a trip to dealers.

Does your sim work in the mmi? Mine doesn't seems to work. Google earth is just loading and loading, and nothing happens. Did you made any setup on sim card in the Connection manager in mmi?