MMI Firmware Updates? Is there any point?

lukus89

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hoping someone in the know can help...

I've been thinking about going up to the 2015 maps, but apparently to do this I need to also do the firmware update..

I work in IT, and when firmware is released it normally includes a change list... I can't seem to find one for any of the audi firmwares that are available. Does anyone have this, or, if not, a kinda list of changes that are thjere.

Apart from the maps, is there actually any new features in it / any point?

not sure what firmware version I currently have, but it runs 2014 maps.

Thanks in advance

I just completed a firmware update and 2016 maps install on my 2010 S4, details here: http://audisrs.com/sutra708580.php#708580

Had a good look around and can't see anything that's changed or improved besides the maps. The only change I've found so far is that I'm no longer able to view the MPH figure on the DIS whilst navigation is active. Bit of a shame but not a deal breaker.

I just completed a firmware update and 2016 maps install on my 2010 S4, details here: http://audisrs.com/sutra708580.php#708580

Had a good look around and can't see anything that's changed or improved besides the maps. The only change I've found so far is that I'm no longer able to view the MPH figure on the DIS whilst navigation is active. Bit of a shame but not a deal breaker.

I'll stear clear of that then, I rely on the MPH display, never look at the traditional speedo.

Reactions: xpoweruk

Can't see much but a few screenshots on link you sent... You got a link to the maps download?

I've just done 2015 maps without doing a firmware upgrade, but I'd be fair happy to do it.

Cheers

Cheers for reply. Literally no other benefit than maps? How long did it take you?
It takes about 30min.. to hour to complete entire process..
There is one thing.. after update I have one fault for documentation on that update..

Off topic but I'm always amazed that nav is a must have for some people. I pay £14.99 a year for TomTom on my phone and that includes 4 map updates a year plus live traffic. It'd take me a long time to justify nav. Plus having tried the other systems the TomTom traffic is usually the most accurate. I did explain this all to the sales guy when I bought my car and seemed baffled why I didn't want to spend £1200 on nav.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Happy Friday all. :D

Reactions: Keef
Off topic but I'm always amazed that nav is a must have for some people. I pay £14.99 a year for TomTom on my phone and that includes 4 map updates a year plus live traffic. It'd take me a long time to justify nav. Plus having tried the other systems the TomTom traffic is usually the most accurate. I did explain this all to the sales guy when I bought my car and seemed baffled why I didn't want to spend £1200 on nav.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Happy Friday all. :D
Don't like crap all over my car and windscreen to be honest.
And I think tomtoms are *****... personal opinion!

Reactions: copterdoctor, kanecullen89 and scotty76
Don't like **** all over my car and windscreen to be honest.
And I think tomtoms are *****... personal opinion!
+1

Much prefer the OEM setup and now connect on the 3G+ links directly to google with street view etc. its great. I never type in a destination whule sitting in the car, always find on google maps and send to car and go right to the front door.

I am hoping the new RS4 has phone box so I can get rid of the charging cable for that super clean and tidy look.

+1

Much prefer the OEM setup and now connect on the 3G+ links directly to google with street view etc. its great. I never type in a destination whule sitting in the car, always find on google maps and send to car and go right to the front door.

I am hoping the new RS4 has phone box so I can get rid of the charging cable for that super clean and tidy look.

Think it comes down to the sort of person you are. I like things to work as they should. I don't want to add crap on and clutter it up.
The arm rest on mine had the phone connector in for really old phones. I spent an entire day day un-wiring it and tidying it up so it had a use, just becaus it annoyed me.
Having crap Tom Tom wires hanging all over the place and a tiny screen stuck to my window would make me feel like I was back in 1999. Never gonna happen.

Reactions: kanecullen89, skiptowncat and GeoffDunk
I have MMI 2G in mine. Personally I think the Tomtom is better at mapping mainly due to 7 digit post code which is now fixed to be fair but from a convenience factor built in wins it for me especially as the battery in the Tomtom is dead and has to be plugged in at all times.

I have 7 digit postcode input, 3G and 3G+ both do. Although I use Google account and never manually input a location. I Google destination, find in Google maps and right click and send to car, this means the destination is with 10 meters of location and not a general location based on the area of a post code.

3G+ uses Google for maps which includes earth view and you even get street view when you are close so you know exactly what the destination looks like, you don't get that on TomTom.

I have 2G high and it is woeful, literally useless. I have an up to date Tomtom that I use for when I might need a satnav, just down at the centre console though.

I also stripped out the armrest phone cradle and replaced it with an insert from another car, a lot more space in there now as it was useless beforehand.

Eventually I will retrofit 3G Plus...the lack of off the shelf harness puts me off a little but I'll build something that'll do the job.

I would love to try and update but I have 3G+ and the process sounded pretty lengthy so have avoided it so far. Has anyone here updated their 3G+ syst?

Can't see much but a few screenshots on link you sent... You got a link to the maps download?s
The link was there! Here it is again for you: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/111922-mmi-3g-navigation-6-a.html

It takes about 30min.. to hour to complete entire process..
There is one thing.. after update I have one fault for documentation on that update..
30 minutes?! Even with the fastest SD card available the whole process took around 6 hours (firmware, maps, then activation). Then a further 20-30 minutes clearing various known fault codes using VCDS.

Press the reset button on the bottom of the wiper stalk a few times and it should come back. :)
Doesn't work unfortunately. I definitely used to be able to override the next instruction view on the DIS with MPH using the steering wheel controls before, but no combination of button presses or nav setups I can find will allow the speed to display numerically now.

Further clarification on the digital speed display with navigation active:

"Pressing the 'Mode' Button will toggle between Phone, Music/Radio/Sat Radio and Instrument Cluster computer view. Once the display is on the Instrument Cluster view, you can view the speed digitally. It may be necessary to press the 'Reset' button on the wiper stalk as well. If you have a route guidance active with Navigation, the speed will not be displayed in the Driver Display. It will be replaced with Navigation instructions. By pressing the 'Mode' Button, you will be able to change from Phone, to Radio/Media and to Nav instructions. If the Route Guidance is cancelled, the Digital display of the speed will become active again."
Source: http://www.audi.ca/ca/p_4993023/hom...ation/Digitally_Display_Speed.carline_r8.html

Oh that's pants...I like others use the digital speedo only - can't remember the last time I looked at the manual speedo.

Reactions: GeoffDunk
I wont bother upgrading mine then.
I only ever use the digital speedo

Reactions: V6 Quatt
30 minutes?! Even with the fastest SD card available the whole process took around 6 hours (firmware, maps, then activation). Then a further 20-30 minutes clearing various known fault codes using VCDS.
Nooooooo...
8Gb Class10 Firmware K0257 for MMI 3G Basic + Eastern Europe + Activation not more than 1 Hour...
Mabye if you have 3G Plus with HDD takes that long... My maps are on SD card..

Nooooooo...
8Gb Class10 Firmware K0257 for MMI 3G Basic + Eastern Europe + Activation not more than 1 Hour...
Mabye if you have 3G Plus with HDD takes that long... My maps are on SD card..
Ah, that makes sense. Map updates for UK and Europe for MMI 3G High are 29GB (even with the 3G+ stuff removed).

With nav active I can now see the digital speedo again via the reset button on the wiper stalk. I swear I'd tried this before and it didn't work, and yet on my last long journey I tried it again out of curiosity and it now works - MPH is back!

So don't be put off your MMI/map updates folks.

Reactions: Keef
Ah, that makes sense. Map updates for UK and Europe for MMI 3G High are 29GB (even with the 3G+ stuff removed).

I just did an update to my 3g+ from 2013 to 2016, so a fair bit to be updated and I used a Sandisk UHS1 32GB SDHC to update the firmware, that took less than 40 minutes and I used a Sandisk UHS3 32GB SDHC to update the 29 gb worth of Map db and that took me just around 1.5 hr to complete.

All in all the speed and manufatcurer quality of the SD card does really matter.

Do you guys connect a battery charger while doing the updates?
Ideally yes you should so that the battery doesnt run out mid way but since I did not have one I just left the engine running for the process.

I did the same when I updated my 2G system...all worked fine but EGR through a fault code on VCDS afterwards - guess it didn't like idling for nearly 2 hours!!!

I would love to try and update but I have 3G+ and the process sounded pretty lengthy so have avoided it so far. Has anyone here updated their 3G+ syst?
The process is quite straight forward but in all honesty depends on the version of maps and firmware you re coming from, but in essence:
1- download firmware, maps db and activator
2- Install firmware to system viw SD card
3- Install the map db onto the HDD via SD card
4- Run activator vi SD card to activate maps
5- off you go!

I did the same when I updated my 2G system...all worked fine but EGR through a fault code on VCDS afterwards - guess it didn't like idling for nearly 2 hours!!!
Ah good point yes, shouldnt that be rectified by giving it a good run?

I havent yet done a full scan so not sure what faults are running with me, should probably do that!

Yep blast down the motorway in 5th sorted it out and the fault code cleared no problems.

Must of just produced a lot of gunk with it only sat there idling. May be worth taking it for a run first to at least get the engine hot first next time I do it.

I'm retiring in two weeks so will finally get round to doing this, can;t wait, looking forward to updated maps.

Any key points I need to know? Any gotcha's?

Just make sure you have downloaded the right bits, especially the activator for 6.22.4 as its not the usual one from previous versions and running any previous one's could end up bricking your unit, download the maps db from 2 different download links as 2 folders from my initial download did not load properly the first time.

I had luckily downloaded another set of the maps db too which I then loaded onto the SD card and used the 'User defined' approach to only load that particular folder rather than doing the whole update all over again.

There's a really good set of instructions pdf and if you follow that you wont have any issues.

The process is quite straight forward but in all honesty depends on the version of maps and firmware you re coming from, but in essence:
1- download firmware, maps db and activator
2- Install firmware to system viw SD card
3- Install the map db onto the HDD via SD card
4- Run activator vi SD card to activate maps
5- off you go!