mmi & external storage

stuart.garlinge

Reaction score
Hi, I pick my new A5 up on Friday, it's a 2007 2.7tdi it has mmi, sat nav, b&o, etc it has the 6 disc changer, it hasn't got the sd slots, am I right in thinking it will have a 3.5mm jack socket in the glove box, if so can I use a 3.5mm jack to usb port to connect a usb stick with all my music on. I've also read that using external storage it has to be set to fat32, thanks.

No you will have a MMI socket (sorry dont know actual name) but this is a universal socket that you can connect a number of different connectors into.
if you want 3.5 jack then you'll need one of these;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Meter-L...625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4ec1ded1

The jack is 3.5mm jack is just acting as a 'bigger speaker' it wont be able to read anything from USB, my advise is just buy a really cheap mp3 player and use that
or do what i do and have the 3.5mm jack plug to my phone and just use that (have mine mounted on my dash next to the climate control for easy song changing)
I brought a MMI to USB cable but my Audi doesn't recognize it for some reason..

So if I connect an mp3 player with the mmi to jack cable will the track info show up on the mmi screen

No, again the jack is just a analogue sound signal being sent from what ever device your using to the speakers. you'll get the screen "external audio jack in use" or something like that..
If you want your music to appear on screen you have to use CD's or use i tunes though iphone/ipod i believe? for this you need the approprate MMI to apple cable like this one HERE
You can also use one of THESE to connect your non apple phone or mp3/mp4's with digital media output (that use micro usb)

There may be more ways.. i just the 3.5jack and my phone as the display for my music