MMI display upgrade?

Sorry, you are wrong. First you have to understand how the MMI-Screen works with the LVDS connection and then how to interpose (an android) in that connection and how the android processes the image.

In my case, the link that you have put up, the MMI is the basic, the original LVDS cable that leaves the MMI to the screen, connects to the android, where a specialized 1024 (HD) chip is responsible for reprocessing the outgoing image Of the MMI and send it by another new LVDS cable to the new screen, which has 1024 resolution. Nothing to do with the original screen that Audi, either the 5.8 "or the 7"

The android chip, is independent of the operating system, works in parallel. That is, I can hang / break the android OS, and the MMI image will still work perfectly.

That said, the chip re-scans with interpolation the images, but they do not look with sawtooth or pixelated as I think it has been said, if they do not look much better quality menus. Just see the song covers. The only thing that seems not very successful, is the text of the menus, but that is by the type of source that Audi has chosen to visualize.

However, in my profile of the mentioned forum, you have images and videos of the android performance. If you put the images to full screen or videos, and 1080 on youtube you will see the quality it has.

The images uploaded to the forum, are reduced of quality so that they occupy little. If anyone wants good resolution images, they will be delighted. Or videos or whatever you need.

regards!
Hello

This case or in your setup the device between MMI head and MMI screen (either 5,8 or 7) is it a Carlinkit or andream? which bypasses LVDS? used to activate carplay or android car?

If this is the case, then the android relay between MMI head and display remains always active? and is it upscaling via 1024 (HD) chip the resolution even when android ain purpose; carplay or whatever is not being used ??
(to be clear, when I switch to carplay the android will function with 7inch mmi original display, cause android will be acting as a source. But in the case when you do not use any function of this Android relay, it will continue to upscale the original LVDS 5,8 signal to 7inch MMI display? in other words will act as an display adapter?)

Thanks in advance for the answer!!

This looks like a dead thread !!
in the meantime, i have learned that:
this android chip can use any screen up to 8 inch but only for carplay and own(android sourced) purposes.

If we switch back to the audi main screen then it will be cascaded in four pieces , it's logic, since the 5,8 inch screen is 400x 240 pixel (96k pixels)
and the 7inch screen is 800x480 pixel (384k pixels), so it's the head unit which sends 96k signal to an 384k screen. Basically screen shows what it receives(one piece is the original, second one is the derivated of the first one, that's whay 2 pieces on the left and 2 blacks on the right)

I continued my researches.. and noticed that the used LVDS cable is OK.

Even video card at MMI STD unit is OK.

it's the SW running on MMI STD unit which is not configured for 800x480 resolution, so basically it's a SW issue.

A company from UK, told that upgrading to an aftermarket screen is not good as well , they have already did it and the resolution is awful.

Now I am trying to hack the unit which is the only option possible to reach the SW (if it was MMI high it could have been done easily, since doing ssh or telnet is possible with that version)
I do not consider upgrading the head unit to MMI High (i have already did it, but it's quite impossible to make it work properly due to Component Protection, i have returned back the MMI high unit)

I will share my findings, if I find one and i hope somebody finds/ shares a working solution here.

Last edited:
HI! ANY SOLUTION HERE?:Black B7: I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH AN AFTERMARKET MULTIMEDIA DISPLAY

HI ! I WILL BE THANKFUL IF YOU HELP ME WITH MY VEHICLE AUDI A3 8V SPORTSBACK 1.6 TDI ULTRA.I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ONLY WITH THE AUDI MENU RESOLUTION DISPLAY,EITHER SPECIFIC MODE OR FACTOR SETTING I HAVE TRIED IS THAT RESULT.I THINK THE RESOLUTION IT COMES OUT FROM MY HEAD UNIT 400*234 TO THE ORIG MONITOR 5.8 INCH IS THE PROBLEM.MY NEW MONITOR IS 8.8 INCH ,RESUL.1280*480

HOW CAN I FIX IT?THANK YOU

HI ! I WILL BE THANKFUL IF YOU HELP ME WITH MY VEHICLE AUDI A3 8V SPORTSBACK 1.6 TDI ULTRA.I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ONLY WITH THE AUDI MENU RESOLUTION DISPLAY,EITHER SPECIFIC MODE OR FACTOR SETTING I HAVE TRIED IS THAT RESULT.I THINK THE RESOLUTION IT COMES OUT FROM MY HEAD UNIT 400*234 TO THE ORIG MONITOR 5.8 INCH IS THE PROBLEM.MY NEW MONITOR IS 8.8 INCH ,RESUL.1280*480

HOW CAN I FIX IT?THANK YOU
There seems to be an issue with your CAPS Lock key

MIB1 Standard Units support 5.8" screen only.
MIB1 High Units support 7" Screen only.
MIB2 Units, any Audi A3 type, support 7" Screen 0nly.

Reactions: DONALD GR, ScottishA4B9 and 8YARWY
There seems to be an issue with your CAPS Lock key

MIB1 Standard Units support 5.8" screen only.
MIB1 High Units support 7" Screen only.
MIB2 Units, any Audi A3 type, support 7" Screen 0nly.
thanks you! i like writing with CAPS...sorry for my english spelling.... older i had a nanitouch android with 7'' screen... and the display of audi factory was ok ! there is no way? with lvds cable or any adaptor,converter,interface to sent from mmi unit lvds out to lvds monitor a better signal,resulution image??or is the SW, like rizzy said? thank you anyway!!
IMG 20201118 113500153
IMG 20201116 105548567

Attachments

• IMG_20201116_105517679.jpg
    IMG_20201116_105517679.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20201116_105517679.jpg
    IMG_20201116_105517679.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20201117_131538924_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201117_131538924_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20201117_131454825_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201117_131454825_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 273
Thats an Android / 3rd party system, something I cannot advise on but these system generally are plug and play and come supplied with resolution upscaling for your existing MIB unit.

Why buy a vehicle of this price and quality and bolt some Chinese rubbish to it? Every time I hear about these systems being installed owners are very happy, then a few days later they are complaining about bugs and things not working.

Caps on forums = shouting

τhank you for your reply, i am a beginer at forums!! thanks you anyway! here in greece all the salesmen tells me to send the mmi unit....only the mmi head unit to china to fix it.???every posible solution is welcome....

τhank you for your reply, i am a beginer at forums!! thanks you anyway! here in greece all the salesmen tells me to send the mmi unit....only the mmi head unit to china to fix it.???every posible solution is welcome....
pou meneis?

What are you trying to achieve? Just a larger screen / display or do you want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto etc?

pou meneis?

What are you trying to achieve? Just a larger screen / display or do you want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto etc?
Ι am trying to achieve normal image of factory menu(not double or half-cutted),cause my android,apps,google,gps looks and works perfectly and also the sound. its a matter of lvds cable line signal(or mmi sw signal) from mmi unit to android chinese rubbish.I dont think i can do it even with vcds 15.07.01 i have. All the settings on the chinese android screen doesn't change anything, only maybe an update,when chinese do so.except if someone good technician help.Othewise i'll live with it.

The MIB1 system you have only supports low resolution screen. If you are trying to attach a screen with higher resolution you will need to upscale else you get display / picture issues. No coding is going to help you here as the MIB1 does not have the video card to support anything other than its default resolution.

I'm from kavala

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJAlix
@DJAlix

I am really sorry to hijack this thread.

I have tried to contact you through vagcarcoding.com but unfortunately I had no reply.

I am a new member here and can not start a PM. Would it be to much trouble for you to send me a PM so we can take it from there?

@DJAlix

I am really sorry to hijack this thread.

I have tried to contact you through vagcarcoding.com but unfortunately I had no reply.

I am a new member here and can not start a PM. Would it be to much trouble for you to send me a PM so we can take it from there?
Message sent :)