MMI Bluetooth no longer discoverable from phones

Spiedhermonkey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening all.

Anybody got any suggestions on the below issue?

I can no longer find my MMI Bluetooth module when searching for it on any of our phones. I've tried with my HTC One M9, my works Samsung S4 and my Wife's iPhone S6. I have MMI Basic+.

It is a retrofit module, but is a genuine part & fitted by an Audi Master Tech, so it was fully & properly integrated for a good 3 years, working with no problems.

Last 6 months of last year I barely used the car though & the battery went flat. Because the battery had got so low, my MMI system was only working sporadically. I charged it up using a CTEK intelligent charger & the MMI is now working properly all the time now. I had thought the Bluetooth problem had been relayed to the battery/MMI issues, but it's still not working even though the MMI is back to normal.

I've tried to delete stored devices and done a Bluetooth system default restore. I've also scanned with VCDS and no faults are reported on the phone system.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul.

When you press the tell button what message do you get on the screen?

It says "Your telephone may not be connected....." and then a bit more. Does that tell you enough? I can nip out to the car to get the full message if it would be useful.

It shows the BT module is still working. Only thing I can think of would be to pull the fuse and leave it for 10 minutes, then reconnect the fuse. I done that before to get a BT module to work again,

I had high hopes that maybe that would do then trick, but unfortunately not.

Bizarrely when I went to take the fuse out, there wasn't one in there. I bought one, stuck it in hoping for the best, but still nowt.

All other suggestions most welcome or else I don't know what my other options are.

Cheers,

Paul.

Sounds like the master tech has used another location or hacked into another power cable, I would contact him and ask him were the fuse is.

I wondered if the mechanic who replaced my speed sensor, had taken the fuse out when trying to charge the battery back up.

I reckon your theory is probably more likely, thinking about it.

I'll try making contact with him.

Cheers.

I've just had a thought while doing some googling on the issue. When the battery died & shut the MMI off, it wouldn't have affected the firmware version on the MMI, which I now have to get re-updated?

That may not even be a possibility, but had to ask.

If the fuse was missing then the MMI system would be dead, you would get nothing on the screen (Including the bluetooth module). flat/disconnected the battery does not affect the firmware.

You need to find out how this master tech wired up the module.

I'm PAying him as we speak & he's got me to try an optical test and check that the telephone module is still ticked on the Installation List. I think the next step he mentioned would be disconnecting the battery for a while.

I'll ask again about the power source, as taking a fuse out is easier than taking the battery off.

I don't know if this is relevant or gives any other clues, but when I press the telephone voice control button on the mfsw, the voice is now in German.

I'll go have another nosey both VCDS & see if I can see anything in the coding for address 77 for telephone. I'm a novice with VCDS, but doesn't sound too difficult (famous last words lol)

Famous last words indeed. I've gone into Electronics 1, 77 Telephone & selected Coding. But the long coding drop-down box is greyed out & underneath, it says "This item does not support coding. Please choose another one".

The coding that's already in the greyed out box says 0 -- 4E0 910 336 K -- Handyvorb2 H18 0950

It's when I press the Coding button, that the long coding window opens up & it gives me the "this I'm does not support coding....." message.

sounds like the module has got software issues, I would look to try power cycle the device, so remove fuse or disconnect the battery. Fuse would be better option.

I did disconnect the battery for about 20 mins today & it didn't do the trick. I've asked the guy that fitted it about the fuse a couple of times, but haven't really had an answer. He just said it wouldn't be the fuse.

Would software issues not show up on VCDS then I take it?

No, you should be able to code the module. What is your vcds version?

Have to say I would not trust a hacked version of VCDS.

It's been OK so far for other things, but I understand your reservations.

I can feel a costly visit to Audi coming up to sort this problem out.

I was wondering if the reason my phones can longer discover my cards Bluetooth, might be software related. When my car was in for some repairs recently, could the most recent software update have been deleted somehow?

I've attached some pictures of what I believe is the hidden menu in my MMI 2g Basic Plus system. Does this give me the MMI software version among the data?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y9bggq0mwgpvx5l/AABWWskXTZtm-vFs0ctvu1Cua

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vzch71sbnd6jcy7/AACSJr9DNJnaRikpxVG55RrUa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/j8xp1y6hua5ss2s/AACQIZYDOUftshNyTT7P9EjSa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eqxov4eam2romyb/AADA-_iYH8d1yRTcYiUFduyDa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/691qn0ingajecrs/AAAz3h22sNaO6mqlXwArhnkQa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5tv3h2baid8fp7n/AABHxeOiVh8BN1gUbFi4fJBKa

Finding a guide to how to find out your s/w version on Basic Plus is a nightmare. Every clip I found online related to MMI High.

From the pictures the BT interface is not listed. It looks like the module has either a software or hardware fault. It's not uncommon for them to fail.

With the module not even listed in the devices, you will not be able to update the firmware to see if that would fix the fault, so from what I've read & and see the only option would be to replace the module.

I thought the module failing would have thrown up some faults in VCDS, but possibly if it's not registering as being there at all, it wouldn't throw up any results?

Mind you, when I press Tel button & it says "your device may not be connected", it suggests the BT module IS there. A real head scratcher.

If it was a complete failure then the MMI system would not be working and you would get fault codes. It looks like a software failure on the module, I would just get it replaced so you can stop scratching...

Fair point. I'll see what the damage is for a new module on eBay. Hopefully if I can just get the module & don't need all the cabling & peripheral stuff, it'll be cheaper than when I bought it 4 years ago, coz I'm sure it was £230 or £330.

Thanks for all your help on this B5Nut.

Yeah, they're not too bad, second hand. One listed at £99 with good seller feedback.

Am I likely to be able to swap it out myself though? Wouldn't even know where to start looking, though I'm guessing somewhere behind the glove box. Have you done one yourself?

I've installed lots of them over the years, but you need to find the location of the module as yours is a retrofit.

Ah, I'll have to get on to the guy that fitted it. Hopefully he'll have installed it in the easiest place for a novice like me go get to. I hear the original place is under the passenger doorbell, which requires removing the seat. Not a job I'm confident undoing, but I'll never learn anything if I don't try.

Thanks again.