MMI Blank

twiggytheninja

Reaction score
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has had a blank MMI screen, but the radio works.

The steering wheel controls work but the button on the centre console does not work. Its a bit annoying as I cannot change any settings , set sat nav , operate my phone or see the reversing camera.

Any work around as its going to be 3 weeks before it goes in. Power seems to be going as at night you can see the back light of the screen is on.

I had this yesterday & found out that I'd switched the MMI off by mistake - maybe different to your problem as the reversing camera worked OK

I get this once in a while and is quite common. Easy fix (but does solve the issue.) press and hold the power part of the dial on the centre console until it reboots. Takes about 10 seconds

Reactions: AdamInKent
Tried that, still nothing. Everything appears to be running as the radio still works and the controls on the steering wheel operate the volume etc. However the audio control in the centre console don't appear to be working. This issue has only appeared after the car was in to get the front cup holder replaced, this could just be coincidental.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has had a blank MMI screen, but the radio works.

The steering wheel controls work but the button on the centre console does not work. Its a bit annoying as I cannot change any settings , set sat nav , operate my phone or see the reversing camera.

Any work around as its going to be 3 weeks before it goes in. Power seems to be going as at night you can see the back light of the screen is on.
It's a common problem, and there was a thread on this forum about 18 months ago regarding this.

My car has been in more times than I care to remember! Had numerous software updates, but still does it regularly, in fact it did it this morning.

All I can say is, that it is a known problem to Audi, and hopefully your local dealer will have a work around.

I've had the MMI rebooting several times but this is the first time the mmi hasn't came on, frustrating as cannot change any settings or use the satnav. It is strange it only happened after it was in for the replacement of the the front cup holder. I guess i'll need to live with it for 3 weeks until it goes in.

It does work. Keep the button pressed until you see the backlight go off on the screen or until you actually see the text come back on the screen.

Sorry, but it doesn't for me. i have pressed and held the power button for several times time, all over 10secs and nothing..

Quick update, as I've said before the actual MMi power button wasn't responding, so I could not reset the MMI that way. I thought I would just quickly double check the 3 fuses which are mentioned in the manual that relates to the MMI. After I done this the MMI started working. I still have the car booked in but may cancel this if the issue doesn't re-appear.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I had this once, I couldnt work it out and thought ok i have finally had an Audi fault.
Turns out i had pressed the Power off button by the gear lever when the ignition was off.
Nothing would turn it back on until i pressed it again and then hey presto no issues, all started working fine.
I think you could of reset the MMi when taking the fuses out to test.

The car was finally in to get this looked at (almost 3 months wait). The software version has been updated but it's a little too early to say it was a complete success. On the drive home cruise control and the drive select button was not working, however just when i was about to drive to the dealer the following day (mid morning), things worked. Bonus is that I now have Android Auto Wireless which I didn't have before.