MMI 3G+ without SIM slot. How to connect wi-fi and what's the point?

forty3

Reaction score
I've just retrofitted a 3G+ unit from a 2016 Q5 which doesn't have the SIM card slot.

I'm confused as my mobile discovered the unit has a wi-fi connection and I was able to connect. I then got a message telling me to start the audi connect app which in turn gave me a pin number to enter into the unit.

Unfortunately i can't find anywhere to enter said pin number. anyone have any ideas?

Also, what is the point of having a wi-fi connection between your phone and the headunit? thanks in advance

If you car had a SIM slot then you can insert a SIM and it will use this for google map data. Then you can also use the car as a MIFI point for tablets etc so passengers can enjoy internet in your car. Also what it provided was a way of getting data to your phone when connected in remote SIM mode, basically when in this mode the phones SIM has been cloned into the car bluetooth shutting down your phone signal on the handset so no data. If you then use WIFI to connect to the car your data came back.

I used this method for many years as it gave superior call quality using the roof antenna for telephone calls and data. But the drawbacks were calls could not be carried on when getting in/out of the car as the SIM moved to another device. Text messages could be read on in the car, but went to the SIM so when you got out of the car the text was lost on the SIM and you had to retrieve it. Its not so well supported nowadays.

I think you need to go to NAV then choose an online address if that makes sense.

An address you sent to the car from your phone.

I'll try and dig out the thread on what why how when and if.