MMI 3G+ without SIM slot. How to connect wi-fi and what's the point?

forty3

Reaction score
I've just retrofitted a 3G+ unit from a 2016 Q5 which doesn't have the SIM card slot.

I'm confused as my mobile discovered the unit has a wi-fi connection and I was able to connect. I then got a message telling me to start the audi connect app which in turn gave me a pin number to enter into the unit.

Unfortunately i can't find anywhere to enter said pin number. anyone have any ideas?

Also, what is the point of having a wi-fi connection between your phone and the headunit? thanks in advance

The WiFi connection is supposed to be used in conjunction with the app you found, so you can share media from your phone with the MMi. I'm an Android user and never got it to work. If you have the MMI with built in SIM slot, it will also provide a true WLAN for web access to any connected mobile device. This of course isn't possible with the non - SIM slot MMI units.

When you enable the WLAN in the MMI, from memory, there's a field in there where you can add the PIN. Again though, I never got this to work as I wanted it to.

What I did in the end was use a travel router between the MMI and my phone (via tethering) and this gives me access to the web from the MMI, so I can use Audi Connect and Google Earth mapping. This also gives the ability to have a true WLAN in the car to share web connectivity to other mobile devices.
And to play audio from my phone, I added it as a source the Media menu.

Paul

I could be wrong but I think the Audi Connect app only works with 3G+ with SIM and not in retrofitted ones also . I think Audi uses the cars VIN to tell if you can use the service. To stream music over WiFi I used to use BubbleUpnp app for my MMI3G+. Now I tend to use an SD card. When I clagged up a router to my head unit I used a USB 4G dongle rather than use my phone data. The Audi connect services aren't the best but they are free unlike VW(?). I think I used the car parking info a few times and also google maps.