Mk7 R Considering Pfl (2016) Rs3?

5pot4banger

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been researching and looking around the web for the past few months in regards to this so I decided to finally make an account to ask the people that know best :) I've owned the Mk7 R since new for almost 5 years now and while it was an amazing car it did obviously lack in the sound department. It's a stage 2 with all the bolt ons and a Milltek turboback exhaust which while nice still doesn't change the fact it's a 2L. Approx 400bhp but performance isn't the reason I'm changing.

Now that the 2015/16 rs3 has had the majority of it's depreciation I'm looking at picking one up with around 20,000km. I do like the fl sedan but the missus will be up in arms if I spent the extra on it so this is not a consideration.

My question is most importantly service wise and running costs. Will it be almost the same as the R? or S3 for that matter. I obviously know a slightly larger engine will require more fluids, etc but not too much. Fuel wise I do around 500km on a 55L tank in the R and don't mind if I get a fair bit less with an rs3 given the sound, smiles per miles after all :) but in regards to the major services?

I get my oil changed every 7500km with a proper VAG garage who have serviced all my cars including my old mk4 r32 so I don't think this would be much different but what about the 45k km interval/ 60k km interval services? Do they attract an RS surplus haha?

From what I've read I should be prepared to pay double for pads and discs and maybe change tyres every 15,000km instead of about 20,000km on the R?
With a fresh set I do 20k km and replace the front 2, then another 20k km and all 4. Then repeat. This has seemed to work on the R which I've put about 110k km on so far. Michelin Pilot Spot 4s's.

Anything else I'm missing?

And from those who made the jump from the 7R to an Rs3 pfl/pfl what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Reactions: NevMan
Stay with your R. The RS3 is more expensive in every way. Certainly fuel consumption and maintenance. I also had a first Mk7R and now drive almost 1 year with the FL RS3. So know what I'm talking about. Only in terms of driving and sound pleasure ... absolutely the RS3, only based on service wise and running costs ... then the Mk7R

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Stay with your R. The RS3 is more expensive in every way. Certainly fuel consumption and maintenance. I also had a first Mk7R and now drive almost 1 year with the FL RS3. So know what I'm talking about. Only in terms of driving and sound pleasure ... absolutely the RS3, only based on service wise and running costs ... then the Mk7R

You are the 1st person I have EVER heard saying stick with R over RS3

Yes brakes etc more expensive, but that engine and sound

Reactions: Terminator x, Champion335D and AudiNutta
We have to be honest when it comes to the cost and consumption price. About all other things as mentioned ... the RS3 of course

We have to be honest when it comes to the cost and consumption price. About all other things as mentioned ... the RS3 of course

I know mate, and you are more than right I am sure

Reactions: Doohie
Hi All,

Have been researching and looking around the web for the past few months in regards to this so I decided to finally make an account to ask the people that know best :) I've owned the Mk7 R since new for almost 5 years now and while it was an amazing car it did obviously lack in the sound department. It's a stage 2 with all the bolt ons and a Milltek turboback exhaust which while nice still doesn't change the fact it's a 2L. Approx 400bhp but performance isn't the reason I'm changing.

Now that the 2015/16 rs3 has had the majority of it's depreciation I'm looking at picking one up with around 20,000km. I do like the fl sedan but the missus will be up in arms if I spent the extra on it so this is not a consideration.

My question is most importantly service wise and running costs. Will it be almost the same as the R? or S3 for that matter. I obviously know a slightly larger engine will require more fluids, etc but not too much. Fuel wise I do around 500km on a 55L tank in the R and don't mind if I get a fair bit less with an rs3 given the sound, smiles per miles after all :) but in regards to the major services?

I get my oil changed every 7500km with a proper VAG garage who have serviced all my cars including my old mk4 r32 so I don't think this would be much different but what about the 45k km interval/ 60k km interval services? Do they attract an RS surplus haha?

From what I've read I should be prepared to pay double for pads and discs and maybe change tyres every 15,000km instead of about 20,000km on the R?
With a fresh set I do 20k km and replace the front 2, then another 20k km and all 4. Then repeat. This has seemed to work on the R which I've put about 110k km on so far. Michelin Pilot Spot 4s's.

Anything else I'm missing?

And from those who made the jump from the 7R to an Rs3 pfl/pfl what are your thoughts?

Thanks

If you can afford the numbers do it, you only live once

Reactions: sve170

I would but I need a change. Every time I see an rs3 go past it just puts a smile on my face when I hear it. No other car which isn’t double the price of the rs3 does it for me.

How much difference would you say it is in dollar terms? I’m from Australia but if I was to convert it to pounds would 2000 pounds cover a year of services/brakes doing 20,000km?

Obviously another 800 for tyres and thousands for fuel, insurance and registration

Thanks

I went from a PFL S3 to PFL RS3 exactly 1 month ago. Best decision i ever made.
The S3 was great, but the RS3 is in a different league. Every time you drive it it’s an occasion.
People are snapping necks left, right & center.

And those pops & bangs :hubbahubba:

Reactions: Terminator x and Doohie
I went from a PFL S3 to PFL RS3 exactly 1 month ago. Best decision i ever made.
The S3 was great, but the RS3 is in a different league. Every time you drive it it’s an occasion.
People are snapping necks left, right & center.

And those pops & bangs :hubbahubba:

Haha what I wanted to hear. I do remember on the test drive I was getting a lot of stares, might have been because it was a populated area and I was in dynamic going from 1st to 2nd on full throttle but still ;)

I'm currently looking at one in daytona grey with black optics, sss, sunroof and sports exhaust with only 14k km on the clock. Might pull the trigger and bear the financial consequences after :O

Reactions: sve170, NevMan and Doohie
I made the same swap. Not done brakes or anything yet. Servicing same cost....oil etc pretty much the same. Discs are a lot more (OEM are rubbish, it’s aboir £800-1200 for a set of decent 2 piece revo, reyland etc).

Fuel...I used to get about 34mpg at 77 on the motorway in the r, I get about 32 at the same in the rs3. Round town and spanking it is a different story. In the R I rarely got under 20 spanking it, And 25 round town. The rs3....15 spanking it, 20 round town. So about 5 less really....

It could cost double and i would still want it. Every drive is an event. The R, as much as good car it is, the engine sound (any 4 pot really) just sounds like farting in a cave and just pants. No amount of money will sort it.

Get the rs3 with sports exhaust and then delete the secondary cats. Sorted. You’ll never look back.

Reactions: Terminator x and NevMan
I had a mk6 R then an S3 8v now plf rs3. The wife and myself (on a weekend) were putting 15k on the s3 a year so it wasn’t cheap for fuel, services, tyres etc so when I bought the rs3 I also got her a Shitroen C1 which cost £100 a month, free tax and £20 a week fuel. Rs3 now stays in pristine condition in the garage, covered nearly 3k miles in 9 month. Had a service in that time but nothing else other than fuel so for me works out cheaper and more convenient now. Rs3 feels a lot more special and with sports exhaust including secondary cats removed Its pure heaven when your up in the revs. Young lad next street away for me had a stage2 mk7R with the pops and bangs software installed as well and even he says the difference between the two is night and day. Someone mentioned above you only live once

blimey you people must live in remote places, where I live its crawling pace so I'm on 23mpg over 10K miles in 18 months in my 2017 rs3 saloon. I have it in individual setting so dynamic drive/comfort suspension most days. Give it the beans every now and then, mostly normal driving. S3 is near 30mpg

Thanks to everyone for their input, definitely made my decision easier haha. I put a deposit down for one over the weekend and am just awaiting the finance "package" since this Audi dealer here in Australia said they could do me something special with end of financial year coming up even on a pre owned car but he'd need to have a chat with the banks on a business day so should be getting a call later today. They were going to stitch me up with the trade in but I knew that going in so I'm just going to sell it privately and hold out on any big parts till then.

The one I went for is a Daytona grey with full options (in Australia) aside from the design pack + carbon ceramics. I took it for a drive and my god does it sound amazing. I checked under the car and it still has the secondary cats so that'll be my first change when the time comes. Cost a little over what I hoped to spend but at 14k km (8.5k miles) I can't complain :)

Also in regards to tyres it has the original 255 up front but I plan on running 235/35/19 on the front and back as soon as it comes time to change them. Is this recommended? I'll be purchasing the tyres at the same time I buy the ultraleggeras (19x8 +35). I'm hoping this gives it that aggressive look I'm after without lowering it on springs.

Cheers

Reactions: haywoon and NevMan
Rs32 Rs31

Attachments

• rs33.jpg
    rs33.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: OCDaveS4, Terminator x and NevMan
For anyone else who browses this thread in the future I'd definitely recommend going for the rs3 over the R or changing to the rs3 if money permits. I've gotta say I've never smiled as much as I did today just driving it. I went through a full tank of fuel and only covered 350km but the sound is so intoxicating. The pops and bangs on the downshifts are absolutely mental.. can't imagine what this thing will sound like when I get the secondary cat bypass pipes and potentially a downpipe down the line.. aus laws mean I'd need a catted dp though :(

Reactions: Doohie and NevMan
For anyone else who browses this thread in the future I'd definitely recommend going for the rs3 over the R or changing to the rs3 if money permits. I've gotta say I've never smiled as much as I did today just driving it. I went through a full tank of fuel and only covered 350km but the sound is so intoxicating. The pops and bangs on the downshifts are absolutely mental.. can't imagine what this thing will sound like when I get the secondary cat bypass pipes and potentially a downpipe down the line.. aus laws mean I'd need a catted dp though :(
Secondary cat bypass pipes will be enough IMO. That makes it ASBO loud!

I came from an R, I do not regret my decision at all. Even my insurance at 21 years old was less on the RS3 than the R.

My view is this, the R is a near perfect car and I would take one over an S3, Focus RS etc however if you have the funds available and want to get the best hatch the RS3 is the car to get. The servicing costs are a little more as is the fuel running however the sound of the 5 pot makes up for it and gives you an incredible smile. It gets a lot more attention and if you set it up well (Rear ARB) it will handle very good as well. I found I was missing the handling of the R but after doing some light modifications my RS3 handles on rails.

Good luck!

Reactions: Doohie and NevMan
I'm currently looking at late PFL and early FL hatchbacks to replace my mk7 R estate.

Absolutely shocked at the level of standard equipment on the RS3 , things I've taken for granted for years like Automatic cruise control, hill hold assist or even power fold mirrors and are standard equipment on all R's are rare options on used RS3's

Maybe all the good spec vehicles get snapped up quickly leaving all the vanilla spec ones

Would an RS3 have worse fuel consumption over a tuned 400bhp Golf?

Definitely think the RS3 is a step up from the Golf R in terms of performance (Standard V Standard), looks, interior design, and ownership experience. Plus you have the 5-pot sound.

The Golf will be the better drivers car, but unless you drive 10 10ths everywhere it won't really matter.

I'm currently looking at late PFL and early FL hatchbacks to replace my mk7 R estate.

Absolutely shocked at the level of standard equipment on the RS3 , things I've taken for granted for years like Automatic cruise control, hill hold assist or even power fold mirrors and are standard equipment on all R's are rare options on used RS3's

Maybe all the good spec vehicles get snapped up quickly leaving all the vanilla spec ones

You are right on all fronts, poor standard spec, and highly specced get snapped up straight away. Poverty spec take longer, my local dealer had a new FL low spec for what seemed ages

I snapped my PFL up within 5mins of it going online. Put deposit down via phone call as soon as i called up.
Good spec PFL’s sell like hot cakes (i wanted Nardo, Black Pack, Black Rotors, Dynamic Pack, Red stitched SSS, Cruise ctrl & Comfort pack).
@X3man will confirm how long it took me to get that spec! Everytime one popped up online i’d call the dealer and it would have been gone within minutes!

I snapped my PFL up within 5mins of it going online. Put deposit down via phone call as soon as i called up.
Good spec PFL’s sell like hot cakes (i wanted Nardo, Black Pack, Black Rotors, Dynamic Pack, Red stitched SSS, Cruise ctrl & Comfort pack).
@X3man will confirm how long it took me to get that spec! Everytime one popped up online i’d call the dealer and it would have been gone within minutes!

Pretty much the same spec I'm after.

Lovely looking RS @5pot4banger !!

Also came from a 7R to the RS3 PFL. Never regretted my decision to buy the RS3. The car is just a better better package in all aspects if you ask me. My RS has pretty much all the options ticked except the ceramic brakes. Sure my stage 2 R felt (probably is) faster and more agile than my stock RS, but that’s just a matter of time. ;)

Reactions: Djpfrozenp, Doohie and AudiNutta

Yep, took months! Bit worth the wait in the end

Not worth starting another thread over so I'll ask here.

Was android auto/apple CarPlay ever an option on PFL?

I know with Golf and Seat Leon it was phased in on pre facelift mk7 MY16 cars with the MIB2 units but what about 8V cars?

Not worth starting another thread over so I'll ask here.

Was android auto/apple CarPlay ever an option on PFL?

I know with Golf and Seat Leon it was phased in on pre facelift mk7 MY16 cars with the MIB2 units but what about 8V cars?

I don't believe it was. Here in Australia we get a pretty high spec as standard with only a few options to be picked and I don't think I saw apple carplay anywhere on it unfortunately. I know that even some of the late MY15 R's (wolfsburg edition here) had the apple carplay as my mate owns one.. but honestly I can't see anyone listening to spotify or music when you've got that exhaust sound ;)

I don't believe it was. Here in Australia we get a pretty high spec as standard with only a few options to be picked and I don't think I saw apple carplay anywhere on it unfortunately. I know that even some of the late MY15 R's (wolfsburg edition here) had the apple carplay as my mate owns one.. but honestly I can't see anyone listening to spotify or music when you've got that exhaust sound ;)

It was more for the navigation system :congratulatory:

It was more for the navigation system :congratulatory:

Ah yes haha, I do wonder when a car manufacturer will have a decent nav system though. I haven't yet tested it on the rs3 but if it's anything like the golf it's utter rubbish. Meanwhile google maps on apple carplay is brilliant..

Ah yes haha, I do wonder when a car manufacturer will have a decent nav system though. I haven't yet tested it on the rs3 but if it's anything like the golf it's utter rubbish. Meanwhile google maps on apple carplay is brilliant..

My friend had a 2016 X5 with pro media upgrade, the nav system in that was superb . Yet to see a better system

RS3 is bought with the heart not head imho, I say the OP should do it.

TX.

Edit - I see he did ;)

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Doohie, T-800 and NevMan
RS3 is bought with the heart not head imho, I say the OP should do it.

TX.

Edit - I see he did ;)

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

RS3 is worth it in every way.

Yes Golf R is a great car, loved mine for the 7 months I had the 7.5 It ain’t no RS3 though......

I doubt there’ll be another car like the RS3 in years to come.