1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MK6 Golf GTI Springs on base model A3 8P?

bobbytomorow Jun 14, 2018

1. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow New Member

I have a 2006 A3 5DR/FWD/DSG/2.0T base model still using the factory suspension (130,000kms) and was thinking maybe its time for a swap. There is someone in my area selling a brand new set of factory OEM MK6 Golf GTI springs for $100. I would be using them in conjunction with new shocks/struts (probably Bilstein) Would these be a good fit? Also would they lower the A3 a tad?

From what I can gather the GTI weighs approximately 3000lbs and the A3 is around 3300lbs.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. miltybilty

miltybilty Active Member

They should work without a problem .... Should definitely lower it a fair bit more than your current height .... Not too drastically though .... Just my opinion though ....

If you think about it .... Underneath, the two cars are almost identical ....

As long as it's front wheel drive to front wheel drive ....

And I'd suggest getting Mk6 GTI bilsteins .... As the bilsteins for the A3 might be slightly different .... Just check part numbers.

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

4. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow New Member

Use GTI Bilsteins, I never thought of that...because of the diameter of the springs may be different?

Thanks for the reply btw!

5. miltybilty

miltybilty Active Member

Ya that may be an issue .... And also the specific bend that matches the perch on the front shock may be slightly different for GTI springs/shocks .... I can't say for sure.

When I changed to Mk6 R shocks and Mk6 R racingline springs on my 8pquattro, I'm pretty sure the racingline springs didn't fit the OEM shocks .... I think I put them together to check fitement out of curiosity .... I'm guessing the golf Mk5/6 and Audi A3 8P's may have just a little slight difference in perch shape on the front shock .... I could be wrong ....

The way to figure out is, see if the Mk6 GTI bilsteins and 2006 A3 bilsteins are the same individual part number ....

What ones were you thinking of? B4, B8?

Also if you had the budget yet wanted to look a little more sporty without making the car un-able to drive everyday, you could use Mk6 2.5 manual DG lowering springs .... I think that would give it a really good look. There supposed to be better than the stock Mk6 GTI springs.

Ya glad to help.

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar