MK5 GTi to A3 BE

Pintman

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Been looking on this site for a week or so as I am thinking of changing my '06 Golf GTi for an A3 170 TDi BE. Just wondering if anyone on here has done the same and what are there views of the change?.

I am going to look around one tomorrow to see what I think and make a comparison. I have yet to drive an A3 but assuming it is similar to the golf, I will love it. Also be nice to get a few more miles per gallon!

Cheers for now

The Golf is a great car.
But I was pleased and impressed with the jump from a MK5 Gti to an S3.

Not sure about a Golf Gti to an A3 Diesel though.
Not the most obvious swap so Im guessing mpg is pretty imprtant?

Good luck
Paul

hi
i swapped from a mk 5 gti to a 1.8 sportback BE S/ TRONIC ,{ due to a drop in income } and i am well impressed , ok its not as fast but build quaility is better ,
Its a lot cheaper to run . .
But everyone is different so give it a try i think youu may be impressed .

Pintman,

i went from a A3 SB 2.0T

4648912147_8bb9a37573_m.jpg

Too a 07 GTI Edition 30

4627318809_f78822d24f_m.jpg

But am now awaiting the delivery of my 2.0 TDI (140) SB BE.

Coming from an A3 to the GTI was a very strange feeling, the build quality of the Audi is very apparent, i likened it at the time i got the golf to taking your walking boots off and putting on a pair of trainers. And that was from just closing the door!

The golf is so flimsy and light feeling compared to the Audi well just feeling built better.

Both the petrol versions performed pretty much the same but my GTI was the 230bhp model so little quicker but handling was on a par. I drove every version of the new A3BE to be sure and as i am looking for low mpg this time the 140bhp just couldnt be turned down, for every day driving its still got that urgency that the GTI and A3 fsi had that puts the smile on your face.

Which ever TDI you choose you wont be disapointed, if your serious compare it with a 1 series BMW but for trick's and whistles the A3 will win.

Enjoy your car shopping.

Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I decided to change as my GTi does around 31mpg on a good day going to work. Also being 4 years old, I now have the related costs. Thought about changing and the A3 popped in my head. Like I said, I've yet to drive one to compare the two, but based on what has been written here, it appears that the build of the Audi is better that the VW.

I've a test drive in a 170 tdi BE today so I can make a good comparison. Was thinking of ordering a new one, but with ~6 month waiting list, I would really like to change beforehand. I may try the 140 tdi also just to compare the two.

I'm sure the car will be fine. Well see later and report back.

Thanks again.

ive drivenboth the mk5 and a few a3s (not the new chassis but it wont be that different) the verything that first popped out was the cabin quality and that it jt seems to surround you better, go test drve on you wont look back

I think audi lose a lot of sales...me for one...because you can have quattro or s-tronic on the 170 but not both.

thats a fair point i mean manual diesels arent totally but are usually pretty unheard of

You would think the 2 top selling points of an Audi over say a BM would be DSG/S-tronic boxes and Quattro.. seems like a **** up to me.

thats a fair point i mean manual diesels arent totally but are usually pretty unheard of

Serious? All MK4 Golf TDi's are manual and there is a huge following for the manual only Fabia VRS. At executive levels your right but for everyday cars, few TDi's are Autos, thats why I like mine!

Personally i would rather have the manual and Quattro, at least you get the co2 saving with the stop start. The DSG on my GTI was nice but lacked that spirited drive around the ring that you get with a manual.

Well, I have to say that I was impressed with the A3, very impressed actually. Prior to the GTi, I had a 206 hdi and a Clio Diesel so I was used to the power band starting around 1800 rpm and stopping around the 3000 rpm mark. The A3 was completely different. Power all the way up to the redline, if needed. As my GTi is a dsg, overtaking on the motorway was easy as the kickdown was used if I needed that extra ooomph. The A3, however effortlessly overtook when required and the motorway driving was effortlessly. I was very impressed and decided that it was time to talk money. This is where the fun begins.

The price in which the quoted me for my GTi was abmismal. They didn't even look at the car. Just asked me about it, what options I had and put it in CAP. Is this normal as other dealers looked over the car to see what condition it's in and base the price on that?. Anyway, based on the crap part-ex price, I queried how much it was if I came in with cash deposit. After the dealer looking over the figures, they came back with an overall price, after the finance had been settled through PCP, of over 30K for a car that's priced at 23K. :( Bit shocked at this price and unsure what APR that is based on. There was a new S3 in the showroom and had APR of ~11%. So either I look elsewhere as this is the first place to give me a part-ex price or sell privately.

Either way, I hope to be driving an A3 Very soon. :icon_thumright: