MK2 TT Search - TDI or TFSI?

sukrw

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm on the hunt for another TT. Used to have 2008 TTS a bit ago and loved it. Then moved to S3 2013 and loved that but it's gone.

So, looking for another TT but unsure if diesel or petrol this time. Looking around 2013 model with STronic. Don't do a lot of miles, 9000 approx so it's not down to fuel costs.

Would ideally like a petrol 2.0 Quattro but it seems they don't do a petrol Quattro in the U.K. Unless I go TTS but want to stay off TTS this time.

So, to get Quattro I'm looking to have to go diesel? This correct?

Those with the petrol and no Quattro, is it a pain with controlling the wheel spin day to day? I drove a diesel 2.0 yesterday and it was nice. It seemed a bit noisier than the petrol but not too bad.

Any advice/thoughts???

Thank you

Would ideally like a petrol 2.0 Quattro but it seems they don't do a petrol Quattro in the U.K. Unless I go TTS but want to stay off TTS this time.

Any advice/thoughts???

Thank you

We've a 'petrol' 2010/11 2.0 TT quattro 6-speed DSG Roadster and running 18-inch rims; so they do exist:

SANDY 119Q

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the reply. Yes after more searching I see they do the Quattro in petrol but they seem more rare.

Looks like my search might take a while!!

And as I want the STronic it's even more rare. They joys of car searching. Unless I can settle for the 1.8 petrol FWD then it's a bit easier to find.

Having sampled both types, all I would say is that the TT is a sports Coupe and as such, is not so “engaging” in diesel form. Don’t get me wrong, if somebody bought me the TT diesel as a gift, I would be very happy with it, but when it comes to “sports cars”, petrol is the way to go. Also, in my opinion, the 4WD version handles better and gives the impression of being glued to rails in corners even in wet conditions. Given, your annual mileage I would tend to aim for petrol unless a diesel version “drops into your lap” at a never-to-be-repeated bargain price.

Thanks for the reply. Yes after more searching I see they do the Quattro in petrol but they seem more rare.

Looks like my search might take a while!!

And as I want the STronic it's even more rare. They joys of car searching. Unless I can settle for the 1.8 petrol FWD then it's a bit easier to find.

Good morning and happy New Year to everyone...
5504.gif

In 2010, for example, the 1.8 petrol was only available with a manual gearbox, see data sheet:

TT Specs

PS: PM me with your email address if you need a 2010 and/or 2012 Pricing and Specification Guide in pdf. I've an Accessory Guide, too, but for the Australia market - same as ours really...

Last edited:
Reactions: sukrw
Thanks for the details. Very kind of you

Reactions: 45bvtc
The Quattro is available but as said quite rare, what you need to watch is that depending on the price of say a s line Quattro that it isn't priced over what you could get a TTS for, as the tts would obviously be a higher spec. If you were going for a fwd and planned to map the car then wheel spin would likely be an issue. Just go for another TTS you know it makes sense :)

Out of interest what did you think going tts to s3? I have a facelift TTS just now but considering going for an S3 though I haven't been to test drive one yet.

The Quattro is available but as said quite rare, what you need to watch is that depending on the price of say a s line Quattro that it isn't priced over what you could get a TTS for, as the tts would obviously be a higher spec. If you were going for a fwd and planned to map the car then wheel spin would likely be an issue. Just go for another TTS you know it makes sense :)

Out of interest what did you think going tts to s3? I have a facelift TTS just now but considering going for an S3 though I haven't been to test drive one yet.

Thanks for the info. As for the S3 - it's an amazing car and I did enjoy driving it ... BUT ... to me it never felt as good to drive as my TTS. In the S3 you sit up higher (even with seat down as far as it would go) so it felt like you sit "on" the car not down low "in" the car like in the TTS. Also, the handling on the S3 is no way as good as the TTS - if you like throwing the car into corners and islands then the S3 feels a bit less planted. But that's just my view on it.

The BIG BUT is this tho - the S3 is massively stolen which is why I don't have mine anymore. Mine was stolen recently so just make sure you realise the risks. I know, all cars are stolen and anything can be stolen but the S3 is top of the lists these days.

Didn't realise that about the amount of thefts, will need to do some reading up. Also valid point about the driving position, I personally like sitting low in a car and although you sit low in the TTS it is still higher than in the mk1 TT. I just happened to be washing my TT the other day and a new S3 pulled up in my street, had a good look at it and that set the thought in my head, it did look stunning. I am a TT guy I guess and I have just advertised my TTS although not seriously on AT or wherever, my next car choice will be either TTRS, TTS s Tronic (mine is manual), 2.0 Quattro amplified edition or an s3.

Not keen on the fwd mk3 and the mk3 TTS isn't worth it in my circumstance as only do 4k miles a year. The ttrs would be nice but thinking the running costs wouldn't be worth it particularly as I rarely even give the TTS a blast. Best value for money in the mk2 tt is a tts but mainly that's due to most of them being decent spec compared to fwd that don't even have heated seats or Bluetooth never mind cruise, auto wipers etc and obviously they are Quattro which makes a big difference.

Sorry to hear about your S3 being stolen that quite rightly would put you off

Last edited:
OK, we're drifting away from "another TT" and that is where I was coming from but for me forget everything and go de-badged RS3, period!

P1000115mod

LOVE the TT but jeeze, the RS3 is something else; just sayin' mind: and no, neither are for sale, especially the blue one...

That is one lovely looking RS3

That is one lovely looking RS3

Thank you: and but NOTHING in the AUDI garage I'd swap it for, period...

We love the TT but the RS3 is just, well: it shook me when I first drove one; took 3-days to find and purchase, and 5-years on... it ain't going anywhere else; even a 71-year old needs a laugh, sometimes...

Both, from the front; enjoy:

P1000112mod

Both very nice but it would be the RS3 for me! I actually know very little about RS models, I know with the TTRS they seem to have some issues with the brake discs something about the handing of them and also the syncromesh can be a problem with the manual box, ideally I would like a TTRS but I don't know if its worth it with the limited speed/miles I do, my main passenger is my dog :smiley: that said it's really the audi price for brake discs that was putting me off.

I hadn't really considered an RS3 but that's now been added to the potential list. I hope when I am 71 I'm cruising about in an RS! tried to click like on your pictures but it doesn't seem to work for me, not a facebook user and new here so yet to find out what I'm doing!

while not an RS I thought I'd stick up a pic of my TTS to persuade the op back to TT land :p

Both very nice but it would be the RS3 for me! I actually know very little about RS models, I know with the TTRS they seem to have some issues with the brake discs something about the handing of them and also the syncromesh can be a problem with the manual box, ideally I would like a TTRS but I don't know if its worth it with the limited speed/miles I do, my main passenger is my dog :smiley: that said it's really the audi price for brake discs that was putting me off.

I hadn't really considered an RS3 but that's now been added to the potential list. I hope when I am 71 I'm cruising about in an RS! tried to click like on your pictures but it doesn't seem to work for me, not a facebook user and new here so yet to find out what I'm doing!

PLEASE!!! F O R G E T the brake issue. You have a brake issue with an RS3 or TTRS with 4-pot calipers then talk to me and I'll sort it or tell you how to sort it, period. The issue is pathetic! Sorted the issue so many times on RS3 and TTRS hurts; it's ONLY a problem to AUDI GmbH who won't accept a 'simple' resolution; P L E A S E don't get me going on this issue, again....

For the record I've had brake squeal issue on both the original and 47i6 upgraded RS3 brakes neither of which were successful; I did, however, resolve the issue myself, easily, and advised Audi UK and GmbH of that resolution; Audi ignored the £5 fix and changed brake discs, calipers, pads, etc (i.e.e, the 47i6 upgrade) and it didn't!

Like I say, pathetic.

So, with respect, forget the "brake issue" and if and when you do purchase an RS3 then do come and talk to me...

Thanks for your advice, my reason for joining was to find out more info on RS models and to read up on the S3. I know TT's quite well but only from the TTS down. If I have any queries I now know where to come.

Thanks for your advice, my reason for joining was to find out more info on RS models and to read up on the S3. I know TT's quite well but only from the TTS down. If I have any queries I now know where to come.

Yep, feel free. But note that I'm an 8P RS3 enthusiast, if we'd have preferred the 8V RS3 we'd have had one by now; nuff said... :superman:

Stunning colour, I have only seen one RS3 in my area and it was going in the other direction, it was nardo grey. It looked good but much prefer it in Cornflower blue, have seen sepang and sprint blue audi's in the past but I am guessing your's is an individual colour.

I hadn't decided between 8p or 8v on the potential s3 and as for TT's well I am firmly in the 8J section

Stunning colour, I have only seen one RS3 in my area and it was going in the other direction, it was nardo grey. It looked good but much prefer it in Cornflower blue, have seen sepang and sprint blue audi's in the past but I am guessing your's is an individual colour.

I like Nardo! If I'd an 8V RS3 it'd be Nardo; and 8P Rs3 would be in Daytona grey. But we have what we have and we like it and will be keeping it for a loooong time yet, hopefully....

Well I did the deal on this TT today! It's mint and although not an STrinic TTS I somehow ended up with a manual diesel Quattro! It drives very nice.

Will post a pic when I can. It's glacier white black edition. I'm happy to be back in a TT 2011 model again!

Well I did the deal on this TT today! It's mint and although not an STrinic TTS I somehow ended up with a manual diesel Quattro! It drives very nice.

Will post a pic when I can. It's glacier white black edition. I'm happy to be back in a TT 2011 model again!

BRILLIANT! Well done! ENJOY the car for what it is and I'm sure you will; pics MUST follow...

Congrats glacier is a stunning colour, all diesel TT mk2's are Quattro they are also have quite a high torque figure so should be very nippy.

Yeah the nardo grey rs3 was 8v possibly Aoon's car as he doesn't stay that far from me, I assume he's likely a member here as well. Tbh I prefer the 8P as well and always think audi's look best in blue, white or silver. I bought my car on spec and condition which I guess is the sensible thing to do but the next one won't be black.

I didn't take many whilst at the garage but here is one I took, I think it looks ****** ace:

IMG 1986 sml

Reactions: Bhoy78 and 45bvtc
STUNNING... ENJOY...

Many thanks, I hope I will ... :)

Just need another level of security for it: either a drive telescopic post or a steering wheel lock bar yellow thing!

Agreed stunning, the good thing with glacier is how it changes in different light, love the BE as well

Reactions: 45bvtc and sukrw
As were not even keeping to TT's here I'd thought post a couple of pics of my S3, which I believe to be more special looking than these newer four door family looking RS3's. Not an insult just my view.
My S3

S3 rear

As were not even keeping to TT's here I'd thought post a couple of pics of my S3, which I believe to be more special looking than these newer four door family looking RS3's. Not an insult just my view.
View attachment 119309
View attachment 119310

I agree with you 100% as I thought I'd keep my S3 forever:

P1010257 P1010258

But then I went and drove an RS3 demonstrator and after 40-years with Lotus cars and 5-years with Audi the RS3, as a 68-year old, left me shaking at its pure road going abilities; 3-days later I'd sold the S3 and purchased one of the only two RS3 available here in the UK, and 6-years on I still have it - though the S3 still comas back occasionally:

S3 RS3 200 mod P1040017mod

My ideal would be my old Misano red S3 with RS3 engine and gearbox :superman:

Cool, nice to see a mature (with respect) guy is still into the fast cars. The RS3 is out of my price range anyway and I would still prefer they made a 6 speed manual. I know the change is quicker with the dual clutch tech thingy lol but I do like a sports car to have a manual which is more than quick enough for the road.

Cool, nice to see a mature (with respect) guy is still into the fast cars. The RS3 is out of my price range anyway and I would still prefer they made a 6 speed manual. I know the change is quicker with the dual clutch tech thingy lol but I do like a sports car to have a manual which is more than quick enough for the road.

Latest 'member' of our 'team' is a 185bhp twin-charge (supercharger + turbocharger) A1 with 7-speed DSG, Steve; and it's a bundle of laughs, a proper little road rocket. Sometimes 'less' can be a whole lot more... :superman:

Last edited: