mk2 golf

mk2_golfrallye.jpg

I always wanted one of those but ended up with a G60 corrado as the the rallye's were only available in left hand drive. They need 17 inches wheels to look really amazing.

Mk2s are cool. A very important car because of the way it practically invented the prestige hatchback, which ultimately led to the creation of the A3 that I now drive!

They were miles heavier than the Mk1 but amazingly solid and rust-free, notable at a time when five-year-old cars could be spatted with tin worm.

I paid £100 for my GTi 16v :) Bought it off my g/fs brother. He'd been using it for work, he's a builder so it was a bit tatty.

He just wanted rid cos his dad wasn't too happy about him leaving it on his drive after he'd bought something bigger for work.

I spent £400-£500 on minor repairs such as handbrake/speedo cables, thermostat, gear linkage bushes, front discs & pads, wheel bearings, a full mint interior off ebay & a general service.

I ran it for 18 months then sold it for £1500 ;) I think i did pretty well out of it. Passed both MOTS whilst i owned it & used to get 40mpg going to work.

I had it as a runabout whilst i was saving for something newer/better. I'd def consider having another if circumstances meant i had to sell my Evo & get something cheap with a bit of go in it

Craig :cool:

Still got a mk2 2door in work have owned it for a long time will get around
fixing it up one day .Its just a bare shell in primer .The 1.8 engine still fire's up great little thing..

Still got mine, it's currently gaining value parked up with no Tax or Insurance lol, and still fires up of course... blame the credit crunch.

Definately cool, just wish I had kept mine. My mate still has his, only problem is Im not allowed anymore cars!