Mk1 TT 225 Xenon D2S Lights Very Dim

Daz_1983

Reaction score
The 225 TT I bought a couple of weeks ago has Xenon headlights, and they're pretty much useless. There so bad that on the drive home from picking the car up (200 miles), I had to pull over to check the lights were actually on. Turning the fog lights on seems to help, but they're still no where near good enough. I've even got my cars shadow in front of me whenever anyone is following me with half decent lights.

I've replaced the bulbs with osram nightbreakers that cost almost £80, and they've made no difference. The headlight lens were in decent condition, but I bought a restoration kit anyway and spend an hour or so doing the driver's side headlight, again no really difference.

I'm thinking that i may need to replace the Ballast units, so contacted another company about there 55w kits but they wasn't any help.

When I asked the same question on the TT forum I was told you'd be my best option. Do you do a replacement unit that would give my lights more power.

Hi Daz.

Thanks for getting in contact.

So are the new night breakers working? If so then it won't be the ballast.

The old bulbs you took out, what brand where they?

Thanks
Trups

Hi Daz.

Thanks for getting in contact.

So are the new night breakers working? If so then it won't be the ballast.

The old bulbs you took out, what brand where they?

Thanks
Trups

Thanks for the reply

Yes, new nightbreaker bulbs are working, though the passenger side doesn't always fire up. The connection to the back of the bulb seemed a little loose, so had a play around with it today to make sure the connection is decent.

Old bulbs were unbranded, so I expect they were just cheap bulbs.

Any ideas?

I only ordered the nightbreakers because they were supposed to offer 110% more light. But I didn't notice any difference to be honest.

Looking at the light from the front of the car, they seem pretty bright. But they don't seem to throw any light forwards, at least nowhere near enough for safe driving.

Hi Daz.

Ok, i know exactly what the problem is, cheap unbranded bulbs have the wrong/no uv coating on them so they eat away at the chrome in the reflectors so no matter what bulbs you get in there they just aint going to do anything.

Few options, buy a set of used headlights but you wont know the condition of them or the reflector.

2nd option which i can sort is a bi xenon projector, they are bosch ones and will be bi xenon, so remove old ones and bolt in the new ones. You also have the option on them to run with the high beam so i can supply a wire for that too.

If thats something of interest to get you going again let me know and i can price it up, as there is bags of room at the rear i dont think you need to split the headlights at all to swap it all over.

Trups

Hi Daz.

Ok, i know exactly what the problem is, cheap unbranded bulbs have the wrong/no uv coating on them so they eat away at the chrome in the reflectors so no matter what bulbs you get in there they just aint going to do anything.

Few options, buy a set of used headlights but you wont know the condition of them or the reflector.

2nd option which i can sort is a bi xenon projector, they are bosch ones and will be bi xenon, so remove old ones and bolt in the new ones. You also have the option on them to run with the high beam so i can supply a wire for that too.

If thats something of interest to get you going again let me know and i can price it up, as there is bags of room at the rear i dont think you need to split the headlights at all to swap it all over.

Trups

Think i'd prefer to go down the route of new projectors to be honest. I'll keep the high beam as is i think as they're pretty good anyway.

Reactions: t8ups
Hi.

You would keep your high beam, but you will also get one from the projector too so you have 2 lots at night time, one from the xenon and one from the OE high beam. best of both worlds.

Used in working order projectors I can do you for £100 plus £6 postage. These are hard to find in RHD but I have a couple of sets, you will need to use your bulb holder from your projectors but that's it. There is also a clear lens mods if you wanted them to perform even better, they will release another 30% more light output from them, that's then £45 on top and I can fit and tune them up for you.

This mod will bring your car into 2017 as you will think your driving a new car and with the night breakers you bought it will be unreal what a small fix will do.

Trups

Reactions: Daz_1983
Ok sounds good.

So that £145 all in for the projectors with clear lens. When you say you can fit and tune them, is that fitting the complete kit and setting up, or just fitting the len to the projector.

Hi.

I fit the clear lens to the projector, tune it to get a crystal sharp cutoff so all you do your end is remove the 4 scres holding it in and get it fitted, put your bulb I, wire the high beam wire if you want to run it and fit all back and enjoy.

Hi.

I fit the clear lens to the projector, tune it to get a crystal sharp cutoff so all you do your end is remove the 4 scres holding it in and get it fitted, put your bulb I, wire the high beam wire if you want to run it and fit all back and enjoy.

Apologies for the late response.

Ok sounds good.

How easy/difficult is fitting? is it a bumper off job and removal of the headlights to get access?

I assume pricing is inclusive of postage? What payment do you take and when do you think they'll be ready for sending out?

Hi Daz.

Postage was £6. So total is £151.

If order is made I can have them setup and posted Monday so they are with you Tuesday.

To get the headlight off you have to remove the bumper but there are guides all over the net.

To get the projector in you simply remove the back cover of the headlight, get the bulb out and the ignitor eats all out the way, unscrew the old projector and bolt the new one in, then connect the bi xenon shutter (optional but I'd do it for added benefit when on high beam) and then bolt the new projector in.

PayPal is is fine.

Trups

For anyone interested in this in the future:

Picture of my burnt out projectors:

Picture before changing to the projectors from EM Tuning (this is with the Nightbreaker bulbs installed):

Picture after with the new projectors installed and setup:

How hard was the fitting mate? I’m impressed with the results but I’m not too confident in taking on a job like that, cheers

Digging up an old thread, these still available? My lights are pretty pants