Mk1 Buyers Guide

Mr.Blonde

Reaction score
Hi

I Have not been on this forum in years since owning my A3,i now own a Clio 172 Cup and now looking to get a 225 Mk1 TT.
So just looking if someone could point me in the right direction for a thread about buying a Mk1 please?

Just out of interest an very old photo of my A3 1.8T and my Clio Cup which i have now.

I do have much better photos but having problems uploading them as it tells me they are to big :(

3036 1258197867 348e06162a3493d7a5157da4c95c636c
IMG 20170402 131607

TBH the best resource for TT's is the TT forum. I tend to split my surfing between here and the TT forum these days having bought a MK1 225 myself to turn into a track car. They are 12-17 year old cars now so trying to find one without too many issues at a reasonable price is a job.
There are many available though and if you dig through the dross you can find good ones.
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=172190
http://www.wak-tt.com/
From my experience try and find one thats not had too many owners, I came across a few with 8-10 previous owners.
Less than 100K miles is good, just because things are less likely to be worn out.
They have common problems such as pixelation on the dash display, issues with switches on door locks. The windows should drop half an inch or so when you open the door and then go up again when you shut it. The 1.8T engine is pretty strong but has problems with PCV pipe leaks , vacuum system leaks etc.
Best thing to do is check car with VCDS, for fault codes if you can. A good service history is a plus although my car with 90K miles and a pretty good service history still had an original metal Haldex filter. So that had never been changed. It helps if you are able to do stuff yourself as they aren't the most reliable car in the world but usually the parts aren't too expensive if you do the work yourself.

Reactions: Mr.Blonde
Thanks for the infomation mate,having trouble registering an account tho :(

I agree, the TT Forum is probably the best place to pick brains, I've been on there for years. You'll have problems registering if you have a gmail email address unfortunately.

I still have a haldex contoller and set of wheels left over from an mk1 S3 that I sold on. Have been considering a mk1 TT for quick commuting rather than using an A4 avant 4x4. Bearing in mind the S3 & TT share the same running gear. Would the handling characteristics be comparable after the usual upgrades....ie. remap, ARBs, Susp, poly bushes.....Both the S3 & TT have 80/20 (F/R) split regarding power distribution.

Ive managed to sort my account with the TT forum.
Now to get the S3 8L or Mk1 TT 225??..Hmmm

Lots more TT's around at better prices than the S3. My 2001 BAM TT with just under 90K miles on it and completely standard was under £2000. Thing is if you are in a TT every body wants to race you. The S3 is a lot more subtle.

Reactions: Mr.Blonde
Yeah i agree,there is alot of nice TT’s about for the money.
I will be putting my clio cup up for sale next year when i have put a years mot on it,then the start of looking for a Mk1 TT begins!.