Mk 2 2009 TT 2.0FSi gearbox

RGBARGEE

Reaction score
Our 2009 TT (5ok miles) seems to have developed an intermittent whine/whistle in second gear. It really is not bad and many people can't hear it. However, like that parking dent once you know it's there it is annoying. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple fix, was wondering if an oil change might help as it doesn't appear to be a service item on the Manual 6 speed. Thanks in advance. RG

Even if it doesn't help alleviate the noise, changing the oil will let you (or your mechanic) check for excessive metal shavings which might indicate a bigger problem.

Even if it doesn't help alleviate the noise, changing the oil will let you (or your mechanic) check for excessive metal shavings which might indicate a bigger problem.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. I really isn't that bad and I think I may be obsessive about noises!!

Our 2009 TT (5ok miles) seems to have developed an intermittent whine/whistle in second gear. It really is not bad and many people can't hear it. However, like that parking dent once you know it's there it is annoying. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple fix, was wondering if an oil change might help as it doesn't appear to be a service item on the Manual 6 speed. Thanks in advance. RG

you got a 2.0 litre or 3.2 V6 ?
I had a 2008 3.2 manual (my 1st Audi).
Really nice car, loved it :icon thumright:

you got a 2.0 litre or 3.2 V6 ?
I had a 2008 3.2 manual (my 1st Audi).
Really nice car, loved it :icon thumright:
You really do need specsavers @Snake Pliskin see the thread title...

My late wife had a Black 2008 with Bells and whistles from new, I wasn't a fan then. This one was picked up from Dealer principal at Audi Bristol with 48k miles (his wife's car for 8 years) all bills etc and great condition. Found some OEM 18in wheels to replace standard (boring) 17in . Cracking car which is getting used a fair bit as new wife loves it.. proper handbrake and Audi quality.

You really do need specsavers @Snake Pliskin see the thread title...

My late wife had a Black 2008 with Bells and whistles from new, I wasn't a fan then. This one was picked up from Dealer principal at Audi Bristol with 48k miles (his wife's car for 8 years) all bills etc and great condition. Found some OEM 18in wheels to replace standard (boring) 17in . Cracking car which is getting used a fair bit as new wife loves it.. proper handbrake and Audi quality.

oh yeah lol :tearsofjoy:
So if you wasn't a fan back then, why do you love it now ? :blink:
You should've got a 3.2 litre though if you were getting a retro TT and manual gear box.

oh yeah lol :tearsofjoy:
So if you wasn't a fan back then, why do you love it now ? :blink:
You should've got a 3.2 litre though if you were getting a retro TT and manual gear box.
The original one had 19in wheels and the handling was shocking. Lesson learned on that one. 18in wheels are a good compromise, look good and handling is fine. We were looking for a £3k run around (A2 ?) to take to places where modern cars are inappropriate. The TT was parked up outside dealer and as it has a complete set of receipts/MOTs etc and well cared for would be silly to let it go. TT
IMG 8482
has character and for local trips is a lot of fun and unlikely to lose any money unlike new M-Bs (and Audis)..

The original one had 19in wheels and the handling was shocking. Lesson learned on that one. 18in wheels are a good compromise, look good and handling is fine. We were looking for a £3k run around (A2 ?) to take to places where modern cars are inappropriate. The TT was parked up outside dealer and as it has a complete set of receipts/MOTs etc and well cared for would be silly to let it go. TTView attachment 209956 has character and for local trips is a lot of fun and unlikely to lose any money unlike new M-Bs (and Audis)..

I did enjoy my TT ... so much I changed from that to a 2011 TTS which was a stunning car.
That was a manual too with a lovely short throw gearbox and plenty of in gear grunt.

I did enjoy my TT ... so much I changed from that to a 2011 TTS which was a stunning car.
That was a manual too with a lovely short throw gearbox and plenty of in gear grunt.
Working on trying to swap for a later mk 2 TTS.. great cars, you should get one. Mate has a 95 124 MB 300E Estate ( Thunderbird 2) which is lovely.. later MB seem so much more inferior in build quality..

Working on trying to swap for a later mk 2 TTS.. great cars, you should get one. Mate has a 95 124 MB 300E Estate ( Thunderbird 2) which is lovely.. later MB seem so much more inferior in build quality..

I had TT's for best part of 6 years myself and then the wife had one of the current gen for a couple of years ... so had them & enjoyed them.
But yes a mark II TTS would be a very nice car to pick up.

I'd agree with you right up to the current breed of A Class, so far its been bullet proof and the build quality is top notch.
My RS3 was in & out of Audi constantly for the first 6 months for brake issues and I had to put up with squealing brakes all the time I had the car as Audi can't fix it due to the compound of brake pad they use.
The Merc also handles WAY better - the S3 and RS3 suffer very badly from bouncy suspension - the Merc suspension set up is superb.
The handling is in a different league - Audi could learn a thing or two from Merc in that department for sure.

I had TT's for best part of 6 years myself and then the wife had one of the current gen for a couple of years ... so had them & enjoyed them.
But yes a mark II TTS would be a very nice car to pick up.

I'd agree with you right up to the current breed of A Class, so far its been bullet proof and the build quality is top notch.
My RS3 was in & out of Audi constantly for the first 6 months for brake issues and I had to put up with squealing brakes all the time I had the car as Audi can't fix it due to the compound of brake pad they use.
The Merc also handles WAY better - the S3 and RS3 suffer very badly from bouncy suspension - the Merc suspension set up is superb.
The handling is in a different league - Audi could learn a thing or two from Merc in that department for sure.
The A45 with a little engine will handle better than a PFL RS3 as we had. My February departed Mag Ride (19’s) S3 310 handled far better than RS3 due to lighter engine. For me the bling styling and general tackiness of current MB is a big turnoff . Sorry.

The A45 with a little engine will handle better than a PFL RS3 as we had. My February departed Mag Ride (19’s) S3 310 handled far better than RS3 due to lighter engine. For me the bling styling and general tackiness of current MB is a big turnoff . Sorry.

The 8v was just generally poor in the suspension department. My wife's 2016 TT was absolutely brilliant and that was on 19" wheels.
I don't understand why Audi nail it on certain cars and are awful on others ?

The 8v was just generally poor in the suspension department. My wife's 2016 TT was absolutely brilliant and that was on 19" wheels.
I don't understand why Audi nail it on certain cars and are awful on others ?
It's very odd how certain cars feel just right yet others feel somewhat lacking. Our recent experience March -July with a Q3 Sportback Vorsprung 45 was just that.. living with the car for a few days made me realise it had a naff dashboard (like new A3 8Y), poor performance and handling, wife overwhelmed with useless gizmos, lane assist, adaptive cruise etc.. No love... For my 2p there need to be an element of love in a car to enable you to put up with other inadequacies as illustrated with your A45.. despite being fugly there is something you like about it that enables you to enjoy it.

It's very odd how certain cars feel just right yet others feel somewhat lacking. Our recent experience March -July with a Q3 Sportback Vorsprung 45 was just that.. living with the car for a few days made me realise it had a naff dashboard (like new A3 8Y), poor performance and handling, wife overwhelmed with useless gizmos, lane assist, adaptive cruise etc.. No love... For my 2p there need to be an element of love in a car to enable you to put up with other inadequacies as illustrated with your A45.. despite being fugly there is something you like about it that enables you to enjoy it.

lol ... I think its mainly just you mate. The amount of positive comments I've had about the A45 is quite staggering.
The RS3 had one trump card which was the 5 cylinder engine - but even that has been toned down now due to regs.
The seats were S seats, the alloys were S alloys - nothing really made it feel anything more than an S .. other than the engine !

Everyone is wow'd by the interior dash & seats (even the extra steering wheel controls are uber cool) and all comment on the exterior looks be it the awesome grille, sculpted bonnet bulges, alloys, stance, brakes, exhausts etc ... it just looks seriously cool from all angles and is totally different to the A35.

I think you just like mega understated which is what the RS3 and RS4 both convey very well.
You can barely distinguish them from the S line or S models - and yes that can be a good thing - but a lot of people complain that Audi do not go far enough in the looks department for their RS models.

I praise Merc for striking the right balance of aggression, class and purposefulness, but I appreciate they are not as Q car as Audi.

Reactions: 8YARWY
lol ... I think its mainly just you mate. The amount of positive comments I've had about the A45 is quite staggering.
The RS3 had one trump card which was the 5 cylinder engine - but even that has been toned down now due to regs.
The seats were S seats, the alloys were S alloys - nothing really made it feel anything more than an S .. other than the engine !

Everyone is wow'd by the interior dash & seats (even the extra steering wheel controls are uber cool) and all comment on the exterior looks be it the awesome grille, sculpted bonnet bulges, alloys, stance, brakes, exhausts etc ... it just looks seriously cool from all angles and is totally different to the A35.

I think you just like mega understated which is what the RS3 and RS4 both convey very well.
You can barely distinguish them from the S line or S models - and yes that can be a good thing - but a lot of people complain that Audi do not go far enough in the looks department for their RS models.

I praise Merc for striking the right balance of aggression, class and purposefulness, but I appreciate they are not as Q car as Audi.
It's down to taste and conditioning, I think M-B have lost the plot in the styling and quality department. I just think they are Fugly and Bling, ideal to attach a Vanity plate to. To quote Top Gear..... 'it feels like it's almost worth the money'
The A45 is a complex car, both hardware and, especially, software. Inside Mercedes has tried to give you as much access to that as it can. I’m not sure about this. Maybe if it’s the only car you’ll drive, you’ll be au fait within a month, but as a car to jump in and drive it’s very, very complicated.

For starters there’s the configuration of the two main screens. These can show pretty much anything you like, from navigation and fuel economy to engine data and lap times. You’ll need to use them as well to set-up the car’s Individual configuration. That’ll take a while. And then there’s the TrackPace app, the colour displays, the alternative layouts. The fact of the matter is that Mercedes doesn’t appear to have known when to say ‘whoa’ when the graphics department started pouring information onto the screens.

Too much data. And mostly controlled by a pair of irritating steering wheel thumb pads and a mouse pad on the console – ****** tricky to use on the move. There are a few helpful button shortcuts and despite the confusion, the cabin ambience, layout and design is lovely. It feels almost like it’s worth the money.

The seats are firm and take a good grip of your ribcage. They’re really good when you’re hurling it about, but you do find yourself squirming in them when you’re not. The big bolsters are fine, but the seats needs the auto equivalent of a mattress topper.

BTW My new car being built in November isn't understated ;-)

It's down to taste and conditioning, I think M-B have lost the plot in the styling and quality department. I just think they are Fugly and Bling, ideal to attach a Vanity plate to. To quote Top Gear..... 'it feels like it's almost worth the money'
The A45 is a complex car, both hardware and, especially, software. Inside Mercedes has tried to give you as much access to that as it can. I’m not sure about this. Maybe if it’s the only car you’ll drive, you’ll be au fait within a month, but as a car to jump in and drive it’s very, very complicated.

For starters there’s the configuration of the two main screens. These can show pretty much anything you like, from navigation and fuel economy to engine data and lap times. You’ll need to use them as well to set-up the car’s Individual configuration. That’ll take a while. And then there’s the TrackPace app, the colour displays, the alternative layouts. The fact of the matter is that Mercedes doesn’t appear to have known when to say ‘whoa’ when the graphics department started pouring information onto the screens.

Too much data. And mostly controlled by a pair of irritating steering wheel thumb pads and a mouse pad on the console – ****** tricky to use on the move. There are a few helpful button shortcuts and despite the confusion, the cabin ambience, layout and design is lovely. It feels almost like it’s worth the money.

The seats are firm and take a good grip of your ribcage. They’re really good when you’re hurling it about, but you do find yourself squirming in them when you’re not. The big bolsters are fine, but the seats needs the auto equivalent of a mattress topper.

BTW My new car being built in November isn't understated ;-)

If I am honest, I was concerned about the complexity of the screens and what have you but .......

Surprisingly I got on top of it very quickly, then I started to configure and play about with things and actually enjoyed the degree of customisation.
Yeah I have settled on my fave preferences now, but I can flick through all the controls second nature.
Even the touch screen which I thought I wouldn't use is pretty good and to my amazement speech controls are incredibly accurate so I tend to adjust most things by speech, even changing radio stations, heating controls, etc.

The seats are much firmer than the Audi, but they are racing seats whereas the audi seats are 100% for comfort with very little lateral support.
I don't find them at all uncomfortable but I admit yes they are firmer.

I can't say anything has disappointed me to be fair.

and no I guess your new other car will not be so 'under the radar' lol ..... I hope you haven't gone for black again ? :)

If I am honest, I was concerned about the complexity of the screens and what have you but .......

Surprisingly I got on top of it very quickly, then I started to configure and play about with things and actually enjoyed the degree of customisation.
Yeah I have settled on my fave preferences now, but I can flick through all the controls second nature.
Even the touch screen which I thought I wouldn't use is pretty good and to my amazement speech controls are incredibly accurate so I tend to adjust most things by speech, even changing radio stations, heating controls, etc.

The seats are much firmer than the Audi, but they are racing seats whereas the audi seats are 100% for comfort with very little lateral support.
I don't find them at all uncomfortable but I admit yes they are firmer.

I can't say anything has disappointed me to be fair.

and no I guess your new other car will not be so 'under the radar' lol ..... I hope you haven't gone for black again ? :)
Jet Black, Carrera classic wheels,B@O, Fart dispersing ventilated seats, Privacy, storage etc.

Take a look on the configurator and spec one up for me? I have 2 weeks flex on order Gentian Blue ?? Yellow ??

In all seriousness you gotta get the colour YOU like mate ... but yes I’ll have a look :icon thumright:

I don’t dislike black its just hard to look after imo

Take a look on the configurator and spec one up for me? I have 2 weeks flex on order Gentian Blue ?? Yellow ??

Black DOES suit the car and if that is your fave then I would say go for it.
The car is far too expensive to risk getting the colour wrong.

If it were me though, I am partial to blue so gentian blue could be my No. 1 pick as that looks a lovely colour.
Night blue could be interesting though and I do like white so caerra white would have to be a possible.

In all seriousness you gotta get the colour YOU like mate ... but yes I’ll have a look :icon thumright:

I don’t dislike black its just hard to look after imo
I’ve not found a problem with metallic black.
Black DOES suit the car and if that is your fave then I would say go for it.
The car is far too expensive to risk getting the colour wrong.

If it were me though, I am partial to blue so gentian blue could be my No. 1 pick as that looks a lovely colour.
Night blue could be interesting though and I do like white so caerra white would have to be a possible.
We are on the same page. Gentian Blue looks lovely but it’s not black. While looks good but on the Targa you need Black roll bar as seen on You Tube. Porsche are better at adding costs to base spec than Audi. Must haves are Sport Chrono, nicer wheels, B&O etc . Looking at promo videos think Jet Black outside with Black with crayon stitching SS seats and better steering wheel.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin