Misty rear light

A

Arnie2007

Hi guys.

I have this happening on my passenger rear light cluster....:

17372578805_65a7798d5e_b.jpg

I've lost count of the amount of times I've taken it off, re-seated it, cleaned the seal, checked the lugs etc. Does anybody else suffer with this issue? There are no visible cracks or chips on the cluster-can't figure it out.

Am I missing something obvious? Do I just need a new rear light cluster? It's not filling with water, and whatever is getting in isn't enough for it to be running out into the boot as it's all dry...

Thoughts?
Dan

Just condensation. It has been known on many a car, that drilling is strategic hole somewhere in the bottom of the light unit will let air circulate and water to drain. Not happening on any of my cars at the mo. but has in the past.

Easy enough to wip out to check.....there's a seal around the light cluster which may be fitted incorrectly.....should be an easy fix ( famous last words )

BR
A

Hmmm. I see where you're coming from-I'd rather not drill a hole though YET. Despite the volume of times I've removed the light, I can't now remember of the seal is fixed to the rear light... If not, I could just start with a simple seal replacement.

Which I should have thought about before I posted. :idea:

believe it or not you maybe able to get it changed under warranty or similar, when my avant went in a few weeks ago they called me to tell me the bad news about the turbo then also said your rear light is full of condensation but it's not a problem we can replace it under warranty.
I did know it was fogging up when wet etc but thought it was just another out of pocket expenses so left it, so when they offered to change free of charge I didn't refuse.
maybe worth you checking with audi, nothing lost if they say no.

Thats interesting Rob. Your's is a 2006 so a year older than mine so if it's a potential warranty issue then mine may qualify. I didn't buy from Audi though, I bought private-don't know if that'd make a difference. My local Audi Main Dealer can be quite a snobby bunch at times, but I'll give them a call and tell them what I've been told... I'm not holding out for anything but it's worth a shot. If they say no, I'll ask about a light seal!

Honest Arnie....it's a 5 minute job to remove it. Just be careful not to break the two lugs keeping the cluster hard in to the body., other than that it is easy Mucker.

BR
A

I have already done that-the seal appears to be sitting correctly, I've cleaned all round the area where the seal makes contact with the bodywork, I even took a toothbrush around all the curves etc to brush out any crud that had built up.

If the seal is replaceable it may just be that its time to replace it. It's just frustrating as it looks identical condition wise to the seal on the right side cluster, and there's no condensation in that one at all.

Come to think of it, modern light units do have built in ventilation, could it be that yours is blocked. On the headlights there is a rubber tube at the bottom.

I think you'll have to replace the entire piece - the bulb holder itself - rather than just the seal. However, it it is available on it's own I'd like to know. I'd also like to know if anyone has any clever thoughts on a suitable source of rubber which could, I guess, be used to create a new seal.

I just spoke to Audi: they wouldn't even entertain the notion of a replacement part under warranty for 'an old car'. Cheeky gits. He did tell me that the seal can be ordered separately for a grand sum of £7.30 odd, so I've ordered that and it will be here Friday afternoon. I didn't look for or notice a drain hole, I'll pop out and have a look quickly...

:: Edit ::
So, no sign of a drain hole, both rear light clusters are identical, no visible signs of damage to either the bodywork or the light clusters. The only seal noticeable is around the bulb holder, and thats intact. I'll be interested to see on Friday what this seal is!

:: Edit No 2 ::
A quick Google shows that it is quite common on the B7's-I knew that Avants had issues, but it seems the saloons do too-and it always seems to be the passenger side rear that fogs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
yep it was my passenger side too, at least you tried the warranty route, nothing lost.
hope you get it sorted ok with just the seal.

I had exactly the same on the passenger side rear light unit on my Avant.
I pulled the light unit out and popped it in the airing cupboard overnight to dry out. The seal wasn't sitting right so I cleaned it up and refitted it properly and it's been ok since then.

Hopefully it's just the seal - interesting to know it's available on its own. Thanks for that. I meant to note earlier that I had to replace a cluster a while ago which was clearly cracked somewhere between the outer and the inner. Water just poured out the seam, but I couldn't identify where. So, go canny removing it - I suspect mine got damaged in doing so to change a bulb as it was very hard to get out and I probably damaged it then. A squirt of lube into the leading (forward edge, on the side of the body) would probably have helped the two locating lugs there to release, they being the problem.

I was a little suspicious of the rear light seal, and when I got to Audi to collect the part, the seal was for the light on the boot lid. The parts guy was really helpful, even tried to get me a new cluster under the warranty suggestion but no joy. So, a new rear cluster is £90, but I'm not paying that for the time being. What I'm going to do on the next dry day is run a fine bead of clear silicone around the inside of the light, but I've also got a roll of thin draught excluder tape that I'm going to run around the seal on the bulb holder. One of those has to work as it's the only way the water can be getting in.

If neither of those work, then it's new light cluster time! Thats two wheel refurbs at that price!

Hmm - thats's a pity. Oh well. I've just got some of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400830490343?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT - which looks like it may well do the job. I'll report back once I get round to doing the job. I'll also have some spare as I somehow doubt I'll have need of the entire length, but at the price it was worth the punt.

You should be able to get a new cluster for less than £90 with a little shopping around.

Hmm - perhaps this would be better http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2718...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I've just fitted the stuff I linked to in my previous post - 4mm is a little thin, so I laid two layers, one on top of the other. We'll see. It is certainly significantly tighter so hopefully it will seal well. Whatever eejit designed the light fitting / bulb holder, and then placed it where it is should be taken out and shot. Several times.

Last edited:
The latter stuff looks pretty good: will be interested to see if it keeps the water out, let me know. I took mine out again today, cleaned it up and reseated it. About an hour after I'd cleaned it it was misty again. So, I do need to sort the seal out first...

Hmm - perhaps this would be better http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2718...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I've just fitted the stuff I linked to in my previous post - 4mm is a little thin, so I laid two layers, one on top of the other. We'll see. It is certainly significantly tighter so hopefully it will seal well. Whatever eejit designed the light fitting / bulb holder, and then placed it where it is should be taken out and shot. Several times.
Reminds me of allo allo "You vill be shot at dawn" regards heflick :encouragement:

Hmm - my experiment with two layers of the 4mm seal was a resounding failure! However, being a cunning cove, I'd saved the old seal and having had to replace a bulb on the other side, used it as well as the existing seal on that side (it was a bit misty too). Anyway, while fecking hard to get the bulb holder back in place with two seals, it works a treat!

I suspect I'm going to have to replace the other holder soon anyway as it's badly corroded. Given it will cost £13 to get the 8mm seal noted earlier, it seems better to just spend the £25 or so it'll cost to get a fresh holder from Audi. They confirm the seal isn't available on its own btw.

Well, thats worth noting: thanks for the update. It's a shame the seal you bought didn't make a difference! I'd be wary of doubling up on the seal in case the two locating lugs on the inside of the rear light it's self snapped under the stress! Brave man!

Mine is still misting up which is a pain as it looks ruddy awful. If you go for a new bulb holder and it cures the issue let me know...